Home Cleveland Cavaliers Wed Dec 28 2011

Discussion in 'December 2011' started by max, Dec 28, 2011.

1. max

max All-Star

Opening night, maybe this is a team we can actually beat. Should be a lot of fun.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Cleveland by 5..............
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I remember when Cleveland vs Detroit was a big game with national TV type interest.
    ...I'll be pleasantly surprised to even be able to find this one on League Pass tonight.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Detroit by 12.*

* Thanks to the Gores pep talk
  5. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'm afraid of Thompson tonight.. I mean, if Hansbrough could play us like that.. What would an energy big man, like people is saying Thompson is, could do to our poor defense in the paint?
  6. Nemo

I think you're going out on a limb here........I like it. :)
  7. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Go Pistons!
  8. Nemo

I say that every time I start my car........
    coynejeremy likes this.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

So, I missed the game...how'd the frickin cavs blow us out?
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

They are much better.
    Nemo likes this.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

We look like a team with one young (very young) superstar (Knight), and some other nice components (Stuckey, Monroe, JJ, Gordon), one other very lost young player who we hope can play (Daye) - who are going to take much of this season to learn how to play together, all while getting absolutely mauled because we have no inside presence.

We need some power players and rim defenders, and we need time to learn a new system and for teammates to gell together. We also need a super big man in what's supposed to be a loaded 2012 draft. And as far as I can tell, we're going to have a great chance to get exactly that.

I just hope the guys are able to learn from adversity and that Frank can coach them up so this becomes a good, albeit major losing, experience.
  12. Nemo

Looks like Knight is learning a lot already from Stuckey............:)
    Tried to join chat, but just couldn't figure it out.
    Man...a 16 point loss to the Cavs.........
    Just think how bad it woulda been without Prince and Stuckey...........
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not much change from last game. Another bad loss from the coach misidentifying JJ as a power forward. He did just limit the nonsense of JMAX with Wallace to about 4 or 5 minutes in this one. Guess how many points we scored during the first such 4 minute stretch - 2. I think we saw it at the beginning of that streak from Knight too. But that was Knight just taking over - not any kind of endorsement for the non-sense. No, you can't play Ben and Jason together. Several coaches have tried it already, to us fan's detriment. Just ask any of them. Reinventing, er, make that revisiting utter non-sense is not needed from every coach that comes thru the door. You would think Dumars was paying some attention on this and would politely tell the next new coach not even to go there.

Ok, so we got some good news. Knight can really play. And yes, he should be starting - not Gordon. Gordon did score a bunch in this one, but all one on one stuff as usual. Knight was actually looking for teammates often. Huge difference. And why not sit Stuckey - Stuckey keeps going to the basket. I still say we are deliberately going small when we could be going big. Daye at starting 2, Stuckey off the bench behind Knight - and sit Gordon. Move JJ to small forward. Absolutely play Vernon Macklin.

Knight got 3 3's again. Or was it 4 this time. Pretty impressive, and even more so as he added a bunch of two pointers in that 3rd quarter desperately trying to keep us in this one.

Dreaded, hated, small ball. We ended the game with it, all of Gordon, Stuckey, and Knight in the game. Sure we got a few baskets out of it, but combined with the rediculousness of JJ at power forward - we were so tiny out there a decent elementary team could outmuscle us. (Sorry if I insulted any elementary schools by that.)

Mr Coach, hey, ask any fan. We hate small ball - and no, the press trying to give you excuses will not be listened to. Not for a moment. Like no CV. So what. CV plays smaller than either of Gordon or Stuckey. He ain't going to help. Simply move JJ to small forward, insert Macklin in the bigs rotation, move Daye to guard and leave him there.

I will give the coach this. He did not play Bynum and make the whole thing even worse.

Knight pretty much showed the whole package in this one. Long, long range on his 3's, made his drives to the hoop, showed a floater too. And 6 assists. Only one turn, at least very late in the game.

Tay showed a bit more activity in this one, as compared to last game.

Yes, the Pistons are rusty after not playing for so long - but they got beat by bad coaching - putting in a front line too often that either was not tough enough (JJ and Monroe paired), or so devoid of offense it made it near impossible to score (Ben and JMAX paired.) Note, JJ paired with any center is bad, as JJ simply is not a power forward. Maybe the new coach don't know this, so I will let him know right here: JJ had all his best games as a Piston at small forward. So please put him back where he belongs. Note, if Dumars won't let you win games by forcing you to play guys, let it be known you are following orders. Of course, they would probably run you out of the NBA for that - so do it on the sly. Good luck.
  14. Nemo

thanks Lee..........:)
  15. Brap

Brap Starter

Three guard rotation of Stuckey, Gordon and Knight, looks strong - very strong. Knight looked great to me at both ends of the court. This won't be widely reported, but his ability to be a step behind a PG after being picked on a pick and roll and to get back in defensive position between that PG and the basket, is pretty amazing. He has fine size and length and first class speed and agility, with a long wingspan. His offense is like a taller, better shooting version of Tony Parker. Impressive.

Gordon looks really good on offense. He should re-emerge as a great shooter in this league.

Stuckey is going to be a monster to guard when the ball swings to him and he then cuts to the basket. It's much harder for teams to guard him when he's NOT the point guard. Really, he's kindof the perfect swing guard.

I loved seeing Bynum not play tonight. Don't know if that was due to injury.

The thing that obviously doesn't work is Tay, JJ and Daye. Tay is playing slow - his knee is probably bothering him, and he just plays slow anyway. JJ should probably be playing the SF - but I suppose we need to give him a couple of months to get his timing back. And Daye's just got to get regular minutes. If we're going with the three guards, then Daye just doesn't get the minutes he should at SG. Something needs to give with those three guys - and I wonder if the thing that is going to give is one of them being shipped off for a true power player/big man/defender.

Monroe needs help.
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

In a watered down league, with several poor teams, the Piston roster/team looks like it may be bottom five.

The good news: Knight is already the Pistons best point guard with two games under his belt. Just play him. Now is the time to let him learn.

Why was Stuckey signed? Ok, you have to put out a product. But of recent bottom dwelling teams, only the Pistons are doing just enough to not get a top five pick. Why was Tay brought back? To win a few more games, to pretend that the team is good.

The Pistons have guys on the team that probably could not find a place anywhere else in the NBA: Maxiel, Bynum, Ben. One player, Daye, looks like he is in his first year in the league.

Who is coaching Monroe and JJ to shoot around the basket?? I saw Andrew Bynum in Long Beach his first game as a Laker and he had no offensive game whatsoever. Kareem worked with him. Who is working with the Piston young bigs? You get the feeling they are getting no instruction. Otherwise, just let them be jump shooters. At least, Monroe seems to have worked on his jumper. Better to be good jump shooters than to throw balls up in a disjointed fashion around the basket. They need big man coaching to reach their potential.
    Mogilny and BillLaimbeer like this.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

well, it was a fun night overall. the intros were better, the floor looks nicer, the new cheerleaders seem a tad unnecessary with automotion 'detroit pistons dancers' but they're nice to look at. it was actually a good crowd and mostly full - probably around 19,000-20,000 and most everyone stayed until the end. gores combined 2 suites into 1 at center court for himself. concessions seem to have gone up...b-dubs wings were $8.50 last year and now they're $10...bummer.

as for the game? yikes. but it's nice to see we have a PG who can shoot 3s and hit floaters in the lane, 2 things stuckey has no capability of doing. we're really lacking a starting athletic big man to put next to monroe. JJ is a bench player (who should've gotten around $3-3.5m a year instead of $4.5m) and will be outmatched against most starters, and monroe can't handle the load by himself. tay looks bored as usual and would seem like a waste of a roster spot, except daye is nowhere near ready to take that spot over. he's too much of a black hole and is too rushed still...it's like he feels he has to score whenever he touches the ball, and he's too weak to bang in the post. if he doesn't figure it out soon, considering it's his 3rd year, it won't be of much use to keep him around.

big ben doesn't have much left in the tank and maxiell stopped being useful 3 years ago. as much as i don't want to say this, we could've used charlie v for some scoring punch. might as well give macklin some of ben's or maxiell's minutes just to see if he can compete at an NBA level.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Only watched the first half as company showed up and me and the wife had to entertain them. May watch the second half later, but if they played like they did in the first half, why bother? Someone let me know if I should suffer through it?

I saw several miscues by the Cavs in the opening minutes of the second qtr that the Pistons could not capitalize on offensively because we had a non scoring frontcourt in there of Max, Ben and Daye??? These three were held scoreless this game.

From what I observed, just in the second qtr alone we were being outhustled by Side Show Bob and out muscled by Sam Samuels.

Knight outplayed Kyrie Irving, but the Cavs had a better coach and better coached players around him. The Cavs bench out scored the Pistons 56-25 and 23 of those 25 were from Knight.

For the second straight game, the Pistons were outboarded by double digits and lost by double digits. Also the guys need to be more agressive as you are not going to win many games making only 8 FT. (8/11) You got to get more calls than that at home..

Best part of the night was the choir singing the Eminem song at the beginning....although Mason miss spoke indicating that Stuckey was from Eastern Michigan instead of Eastern Washington ...during the player announcements. If only Nam Suh could play two sports ala Bo Jackson and take the place of both Ben and Max and add some real toughness to the front line.

What's the next loss, er I mean game?
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This game was lost in the second quarter, during the JMAX-BBen combo at the front court, and Daye at the 3. Here's the good/bad I saw:

GOOD:
    - Knight is legit. It pisses me off that even though he thoroughly outplayed Irving, it is Irving that all the press seems to drool over.
    - JJ is very good. I agree that he's a 3, and have always said that he was a 3. But, he's probably our best front court player other than Monroe. He did a lot of little things that got us extra posessions, rebounds etc.
    - Gordon had a decent enough game that I hope might help him start getting out of this 2 year funk.
    - The starting lineup of Stuckey-Gordon-Tay-JJ-Monroe actually looked ok together. They moved the ball around quite well. The first 8 minutes of the game was very promising.

BAD:
    - Daye had a bad game. The player we saw at the preseason games vs the player that was on the court these past two games is very different. He shouldn't be handling the ball at all. During the preseason games, he was at his best as a catch and shoot player playing with Knight. Today, he passed up wide open shots to drive and kept turning the ball over. Bad bad use of this kid who really seems to lack confidence.
    - There was a stretch where Knight, Stuckey and Prince were all on the court at the same time and Prince played like a point-forward handling the ball 3-4 posessions in a row. WHERE is the sense in THAT? WHY is Prince, who's not that great a ball handler to begin with, running the offense with TWO point guards watching him?
    - Our defense seems to hang by a thread. A little nudge and the whole thing comes crumbling down.
    - Wallace-Maxiell pairing is very bad.
    - Stuckey playing SF is very bad.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

skip to the part where knight comes in 3rd quarter and watch until he subs back out...most enjoyable hoops part of the night

yah that was pretty awesome