1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Away Cleveland Cavaliers - Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Discussion in 'March 2017' started by roscoe36, Sep 25, 2016.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I won't be. We're still not a good team.

Despite your fanatical support for the coach and his revolutionary system, I don't think anything with this squad is guaranteed.

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They have a 67% chance of making the playoffs.

2016-17 NBA Predictions

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stat roundup from the last 15 games (because that is the max I could filter on NBA.com without thinking too hard): Everything is pace normalized- per 100 possessions where applicable

Record: T3rd behind only SAS and WAS
    ORAT: 17th
    DRAT: T4th (1st in the Eastern Conference)
    +/-: 7th (2nd in the East behind Miami)

Starters: scoring 112.1 per 100
    Starters: allowing 104.8 per 100

Bench: scoring 96.4 per 100
    Bench: allowing 99.0 per 100

*not sure how reliable those stats are since there is usually a combo of guys from both units that fall into roles

Where we have been kicking butt:
    - We are #1 in total rebounding (#3 in OReb and #3 in DReb)
    - We are #1 in turnover avoidance
    - We are #1 in avoiding getting our shots blocked
    - We are #1 in personal foul avoidance

Due to those factors, we effectively have the most possessions and are #1 in FGA and FGM.
    Our opponents are last in points off of turnovers
    Our opponents are 28th in 2nd chance points and we are 5th. We get them by 4.1 per 100 possessions.
    Our opponents are last in fast break points and we are 13th. We get them by 5.3 per 100 possessions.
    Our opponents are 25th in points in the paint and we are 12th. We get them by 3.5 per 100 possessions.

Where we still struggle:
    - We are 29th in 3P%
    - We are 25th in FT attempts (and 30th in percentage)
    - Overall, we are 26th in eFG and 28th in TS%.
    - that is how you lead the league in baskets per possession and are in the bottom half in points.

So, same old story. We are inefficient on offense and are not playing like a typical SVG team, but we do almost everything else efficiently to just get more chances than our opponents. Even in an area like shot blocking, where we are average, we are above average at avoiding getting blocked and get a net spread in that category.

A lot of the things that we are doing well are usually considered effort and energy stats and are usually traits of well coached teams. The things that we are doing poorly usually fall into the category of personnel (i.e. guys can either draw fouls and shoot 3's or they can't). We had a lot of mid range guys.

Even if you look at the last 5 games where we are near the top of the league in scoring, our FTs and our 3 point rankings are very bad. The only read difference is that Reggie is starting to get really active and is opening up easier 2 point opportunities for others. One tough thing about this team's style is that nothing will come easy and they will never be able to coast to victories until they get more efficient 3-point shooting. The Spurs are shooting 40% from the arc and we are shooting 33% on the season. Not only is that a massive difference, but they take many more than we do. For every 5 attempts, they gain a point on us.

kolay, webz, SirKeeper and 9 others like this.
  4. roscoe36

Prediction is silly.

5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I wonder what the effect is in the playoffs.

Generally people expect that defenses get a little bit tighter and the pace of the games slow.

This can either be great for the Pistons, or absolutely terrible and choke the remaining life from our grind-y offensive game.

Memphis made this work a few years ago with the Gasol/Rudolph/Allen team (grit and grind), but only ever made the 2nd round if memory serves correctly. But they were a hellish match-up. No 3 point shooting, countered by powerful offensive rebounders and insane interior defense.

More noise from the peanut gallery :P

kolay and roscoe36 like this.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It sounds like Super-Coach SVG has got them playing smart.
    Not shooting themselves in the foot. Those minor things they do well aren't enough to cover up
    bad shooting nites. Or great shooting nites by the opponent.
    -
    If the Cavs defensive #s are going down you can be sure they are boning up for P/Os.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    roscoe36 likes this.
  7. roscoe36

LOL. 50 years from now, you will remember that I said that prediction is silly. I will be dead by then.

Better.

The Panda and TheeTFD like this.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Great analysis TaS. This made me think of a presser SVG had during his first year. He said that he was mainly focusing on defense at first. Something along the lines of get the defense clicking right or everything else won't matter. Assuming that was the intense focus over the past year and a half, it would look like that effort is starting to bear fruit.

kolay and roscoe36 like this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The way they get it done defensively is a little hard to recognize by watching. The team isn't that great at making teams miss, but they are great at eliminating fast breaks and 2nd chance points. Part of the fast break "defense" is obviously a lack of turnovers and lack of having our shots blocked. So, that is two cases where our mediocre offense still makes our defense better.

One other subtlety here is that even though our offense isn't great, we do score on a higher percentage of non FT possessions than anybody else (just an overly high weighting of 2-pointers instead of 3-pointers). But the point is that we do get to set our defense more than any other team on made field goals. When you combine that with the low turnovers and low fast break opportunities, teams have to face us in the half court most of the time. Even on Dre's missed FTs, we have a chance to set our defense.

We have a pretty good foundation in place. Hopefully we can get some 3 and D guys for cheap. Getting good 3 point shooters who suck at defense will probably be a lateral move. We'll just revert to the mean on both ends of the court.

kolay, roscoe36 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This is an interesting discussion. I wonder if SVG yells at Andre so much when he's slow to get back is because he also knows that one of our biggest strengths is having our defense set up.

We are certainly not your ordinary NBA team though.

The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Those guys go for 20M/y. We need to luck into someone like Middleton who hasn't worked out for another team.
    He yells at everyone but Lure all the time. When someone does that it's a bit uncomfortable in the beginning but after a while you just tune it out. He should pick his spots better but I don't see that happening. I like what the psycho who coaches Utah did - he called a timeout, gathered the players and just stared at them for the full TO. Didn't say a word. If he wants to go hard at the guys all the time he need to mix in some stuff like that. Be creative.

Look at this mad man. He looks like he could kill someone.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EfIHYj3jKQ

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  12. roscoe36

That doesn't explain why Dre plays in "No Man's land" on defense. I think he stays back because he wants to gamble for steals on the inbound. Considering how few steals he gets this way, and how many baskets we give up because he was slow getting back, by my eye test, it's not a good gamble.

[​IMG]

I love Quinn Snyder. I don't know if he's a good coach or not, but he would be one of my top choices to play Patrick Bateman in an "American Psycho" remake.

TaS and Mogilny like this.
  13. roscoe36

Quinn's approach is very clever. Most of communication is non-verbal, which makes the internet and forums very interesting communication mediums.

Quinn seems to be a master of sub-communication. A look, a frown, or a smile communicates more than words. Larry Brown and Greg Popovich are also good at this.

SVG is probably terrible at it, because he flips out all the time. He's on full blast, and thus becomes the background noise.

14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Roscoe 2k17 - Predictions are silly. Let me make a prediction :bs:

roscoe36 likes this.
  15. roscoe36

You see? I have already become a meme for you.

Inception.

The Panda likes this.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

NBA TV would have to give us Fred and Austin as the broadcasters....Austin Carr is second biggest homer since Tommy Homer Heinson

Since this is FAN Night, NBA TV should at least split the broadcast by at least allowing one broadcast team to do each half.

17. LA Dre

Looks like the CAVS are hitting everything...including 4-4 from 3...

roscoe36 likes this.
  18. roscoe36

Watch Dre on defense. He's getting victimized in "No Man's Land" in the P&R.

And watch what CLE does when he doesn't run back hard on defense.

This is hard to watch sometimes.

basketbills likes this.
  19. LA Dre

7 of 7 from beyond the arc....17-20 from the floor....=44 points in the first half quarter for the Cavs......meanwhile Reggie and Ish were 0-6 and 1 assist....

Lebron already heading for a triple double.....9-4-4

We as a team grabbed only 5 boards....because they didn't miss...

20. roscoe36

Whose idea was it to have Dre "cover" Channing Frye? LOL