Away Cleveland Cavaliers Tueday Dec 20 2011

Discussion in 'December 2011' started by roscoe36, Dec 18, 2011.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

7:00 PM EST

TV: FS Detroit
    Radio: 97.1 The Ticket
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Cleveland by 7.............
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's the battle of a life-time. Super-collider vs the super-flopper.

Pistons by 6
  4. Walter

no chat tonight?
  5. Walter

6. Brap

Brap Starter

Are there any reliable internet broadcast links?
  7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

If you have Google Chrome, search for "Google Chrome Live Sport" plug-in
  8. Walter

Varejao is introduced last. I guess he's the franchise player in Clev now.
  9. Walter

Well, that was a good win I guess. Our starting lineup was Knight-Daye-Prince-JJ-Monroe and they looked really good. I wonder if that lineup will survive in the regular season though. Stuckey coming off the bench was not bad, but pairing him with Bynum was horrid. The bench was terrible altogether. We had Maxiell and Wallace paired up for a while with Bynum, Stuckey and some other guy in there and the entire thing ground to a halt. Without the need to guard anyone not named Bynum or Stuckey, the Cavs packed the lane and completely took us out of the game. We need a scoring big bad. I cannot believe I am saying this, but the way the team is currently constructed, CV is more useful than BG. Iyyyk. I gotta go take a bath after saying something like that.

There were some terrible lineups on the court today. I can only hope that Frank was experimenting to see what various combinations can do on the court.

The thing that was amazing was our interior defense was at its worst with Wallace and Maxiell in the game together, supposedly our two best big defenders. The scrappy frontline of JJ/Monroe/Daye did a better job defensively. At least that's how it looked to me.

Knight is very good. But, he's still a tad raw. He looks like he'll improve though, and if he becomes the player that I think he will, he's going to own this team by the end of the season.

Daye's time has arrived. If that kid doesn't play 30mpg every game, I'm gonna lose it. Take away minutes from Bynum or CV or Gordon or Stuckey or Prince. That kid needs to be on the floor. Especially when Knight's running the point.

*THE* stat of the night: .909. That was our FT% last night. We hit 30/33, with Wallace and Maxiell the only ones missing FTs. Knight, JJ, Daye, Monroe, Bynum and Stuckey were all perfect from the line. Probably a fluke though.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I see a lot of Small-Ball (3 Guards with Tay or Daye at PF) in our future.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lots of fun to see a Pistons win. I watched the game with my son, and although this is just a preseason game, with no meaning at all other than for helping to define the role of players, we both cheered intensely down the stretch of this one.

I can see Vernon Macklin making our rotation, immediately. Thats a decent 9 man rotation, just got to find someway of dumping CV and BG.

Bynum, to the good, hit 2 threes in that 16-3 stretch that got us back in the game in the 4th quarter. And he got that key offensive rebound in the last minute that was vital, good heads up play there. But we need an assist guy as our backup point, and Bynum got one of those while turning it five times. Sure, if he could consistently nail those 3's; but so far he has shown no such consistence. New coach, I won't give up on Bynum just yet. Lets at least give new coach a chance to help Bynum work on his consistency from the outside. But nothing I saw tonight changes my mind on using a 3 guard rotation, Stuckey, Knight, Daye.

Stuckey made a truly horrible unit work in that 2nd quarter, keeping our slight lead for quite a while. Stuckey ended up with 10 made free throws to none missed. A lot of points from Stuckey driving to the basket. But look at who he had around him: non player Wilkins at small forward. The non-offense of the century combo of Ben and Jason as the bigs - and Bynum. Nothing to work with, amazing he operated at all under the circumstances. In the 2nd quarter, he came in with our starting unit for a while and looked even better - he was in during that 16-3 run I mentioned.

Daye started along side Knight as the shooting guard. As a shooting guard, and as a defender, he did just fine. (Especially compared to Pistons poor standards of guarding the perimeter.) As a 2nd guard, he failed pretty miserably with 5 turns to no assists at all. Still, he co-led the team in blocks, was 1 off the lead in rebounds, and again led the team in points. You put Daye in at shooting guard, and you basically got yourself another big in there. Very smart idea, and the rotation thing out on the perimeter - that is a team thing - Daye will do just fine in that.

I liked Jerebko, rust and all, but he should be getting minutes at small forward, where, as Tay's replacement 2 seasons ago, excelled the most he has ever as a Pistons. Tay's backup at small forward is the perfect role for this guy - and puts yet another big in there (for the 2nd unit in this case.)

Tay played the first half only in this one. We got a fine start to the game with this starting unit of Knight, Daye, Tay, JJ, and Monroe. Ben Wallace also only played the 1st half, and pretty much just with that terrible unit I mentioned above.

Jason Maxiell, yes he was one of the guys out on the floor during that run. But man, as much as I appreciate his toughness inside, he has got to do better in defensive rebounding.

Knight did not show much in the first 3 quarters, but helped win the game in the 4th with some scoring, some assists, and that knock-a-way in the last 8 seconds that led to our steal - and 2 clutch free throws made by Daye to win the game. Speaking of clutch free throws, who did not notice the 4 consecutive down the stretch ice in the veins free throws made by Monroe.

Our starting unit came back to end the 2nd quarter, not so good, count it to sitting too long for some of that unit. To open the 2nd half, starters not so good at all, but note Tay was sitting now and Wilkens was in there -= who so far I can't see much of use for in the league. Anybody know different, let me know.

Here is a rotation, just my way of thinking of things:

Start Knight, Daye, Tay, Ben Wallace, Monroe.

2nd unit: Stuckey (Daye & Knight take turns at shooting guard for 2nd unit), JJ, Macklin, JMAX

Spare players: Find another guy like Macklin so we are immune to foul trouble up front. See if we can sign Arroyo to help run practices. Sign someone as close to Afflalo's skill set as possible - an extra 3 point threat and a fine perimeter defender.

Dump the rest of the team. (includes Bynum, CV, BG, Voskul, Wilkins.)

Note, I changed my mind on keeping Bynum around. Since he should not be playing, he should not even ever get that opportunity to get more consistent on 3's

Also of note, if you think I am hard on Bynum for his turns while not so hard on Daye - Bynum is suppose to be a point guard.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You know, our reports match pretty darn closely. On Maxiell and Ben Wallace being so bad on defense, remember, those two were in there as we had no offense at all besides Stuckey - and yet we kept the lead for quite a while. Pretty good feat, not one done by a poor interior defense team. Other than that, we seem to agree on quite a lot, especially in how hard it is to determine which is the worst player between CV and BG. Tough one indeed.
    Walter likes this.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

As I watched the game I couldn't help but think of how much of a waste of money (and talent) Ben Gordon is. If I have to have an undersized defensively liability of a guard coming off the bench on this roster, I'll take Will with his heart, hustle and $3.5Mill contract over Ben and his $11.6Mill contract.

Last year Joe claimed that Charlie had trade value from many teams around the league (yeah....whatever), well if that's true, trade him for Capp Spayce, PLEASE! Trade Chuck and amnesty Ben Gordon and let's just hold onto the $15Mill in Capp Spayce and just see what happens.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like it! As the years go by......you start making more and more sense.......One of us is evolving!

I missed the first half, came in with about 7:00 left in the 3rd. I like the starting lineup with Ben too, start him, see what we can get and then bring in the versatile JJ. With Tay, JJ, and Daye on the court together you have a lot of length, versatility and 3 guys who can switch on defense. I like bringing in Stuckey as the backup PG and SG (been saying that for 2 years now). However I still like bringing in Bynum to speed up the game from time to time and provide some instant offense.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I liked the crunch time unit of Knight, Bynum, Daye, Jerebko, Monroe.
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Without even seeing him play, I knew that Vern Macklin was gonna be lee's guy this season.
    kpaav likes this.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Super Collider!!!

[​IMG]
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

At least his head is up.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Macklin played yesterday? I watched the game yesterday and I swear I didn't even notice him.
  20. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Why is it this thread is still consider preseason and the 1st preseason was considered loss???:noidea: