1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Cleveland Cavaliers - Thursday, March 9, 2017

Discussion in 'March 2017' started by roscoe36, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'll answer this in another way. Other than messing up our D pretty bad in the 2nd half, in just the 2 minutes he got to play, Baynes was no factor in this win.

But we beat the Cavs, the best there is - without Baynes.

We did have Leuer. How bad did Leuer do? Not bad at all. You take out that brief time in the 2nd half where he played along side Baynes, and you find otherwise we did just fine with Leuer in the game, playing defense for us. A lot of this was with Leuer at center, with neither of Baynes nor Dre in the game. To be exact, Leuer played 7:30 as the center, and was minus 2. Minus 2, that is just a bit of noise in the data, nothing more. A backup center, being pretty much even, when playing against the Champs, nothing to complain about.

In contrast - Leuer and Baynes were paired up for all of 30 seconds in that 3rd quarter, and the Pistons were minus 6 during those 30 seconds before SVG sat Baynes.

If you wonder why Leuer did not get bounds - he was not called upon for that in this game. Instead, he continually was doing his best at sticking with players, doing a whole lot of movement - and doing it well enough. You can complain if you wish, but Leuer's D, which is why he has been starting as our power forward, was just fine. Could you get better - absolutely. But Leuer can play pretty darn good, and is a huge part of the success of the team this season.

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Which is why Terrance Jones would have been a great pickup.....two weeks ago....instead of going to a team behind us in the standings...

3. greenbeerd13

greenbeerd13 Team Captain

Jones isn't a Center, I doubt he's comfortable playing there. Yes, he signed with Milwaukee, and has played a total of 0 minutes. Even the team that signed Terrence Jones is reluctant to play a PF that isn't a threat from deep. If he was an inch or two taller, he'd have been moved to center already and be in some team's rotation.

roscoe36 likes this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dear friend, do you even watch these games?

5. greenbeerd13

The post deadline buyout I thought SVG would go after was Marcus Thorton, and Hilliard released, guess not.

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. roscoe36

I thought that my love for Justine would be reciprocated in 7th grade.

Life is full of such disappointments. :biggrin:

Walter and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  7. greenbeerd13

She ended up marrying Lee instead, sorry dude, they watch film together.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Frye got 9 bounds too. Frye is a pretty good player, in a lot of phases of the game. At the beginning of last season, he started off shooting poorly from 3 land, but was still doing plenty of other stuff to make him worth having out there. And since then, hey, that 3 shot came back, and came back strongly. Since he is doing so well on 3's, and it also being what Cleveland needs, Frye is shooting a lot of 3's. But he can score inside too if that is what a team needs.

PS, I have either watched Frye's games on an every game basis (start of last season), or at an every other game basis these past 2 seasons.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. C-Bill

C-Bill All-Star

Good game.

Apparently, it took MM yelling at everyone during timeout to give our team the energy they always lack at the start of games. Ya know, I went to my nephews soccer game recently. I never been before. For the first 75% of the game the whole thing was in slow motion. I couldn't believe this was a league for kids that were "advanced" at soccer. All a sudden with the end of the game within sight, eVerybody suddenly learned how to run, and they looked really impressive. I told my nephew that during pregame warmup, don't just go through the motions on some drills. actually get loose and get heart-rate up. There are probably one or two differences between the NBA and 11-year-olds' soccer, but i was wondering if it wouldn't help the Pistons to get heartrate up before game so they can come out with some energy.

Stanley Johnson continues to play very well. He might be closer to increased minutes than I thought. Pistons certainly seem better with him on the court lately.

REggie Jackson - Hey! I never had any doubt! ;) CLE could do nothing--NOTHING--to stop detroit PnR in the 4th. Could reggie be getting into shape just when we need him most?

Andre - had maybe his best rebound of the season. That offensive rebound and score in the 4th, looked like he had no chance at getting it. Great energy from him last night. As y'all pointed out, I have no idea why Lue didn't hack drummond to take him out of the game. As soon as drummond was benched in the 2nd half, Pistons had nothing for Cleveland. Baynes and Leuer had nothing. But Drummond was indomitable. Lue really should have hacked him out when he returned to the game.

Pistons trying to quickly become as good as least years team as the season closes out. I hope they can do it. I hate to admit it, but RJ has me a little excited with his recent 4th quarter play.

Woudl we rather play Indiana or Cleveland in the playoffs? Maybe a dumb question, but Indiana owns us so hard. If Cleveland has roster healthy for playoffs, I suppose they gotta be toughest contest, still.

10. roscoe36

I am so sorry.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stretch 4's gotta stretch. Especially when he's out there with Ish as the PG.

When our offense is ranked 25th and our defense is ranked 6th, I think it is fair to focus on what is going wrong on offense.

Leuer is 9-43 since the start of February from 3-point land (.209). He's almost in the 100's for crying out loud. Ish Smith is shooting .234 from deep.

He is incredibly efficient from inside the arc though and is still very efficient overall. But we can't really use him as a stretch 4 with the way that he is playing.

He is a .342 career 3-point shooter, but has never really shot at a high volume. This season is already his career high in makes and attempts. So, it's hard to tell if he is slumping or if having regularly guarded attempts (instead of just wide open ones) is the difference.

C-Bill and roscoe36 like this.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He is the same height as Ben Wallace.....he can't play defense like Ben either, but he his probably better than Leure in playing D...and can probably match the same points as Luere but from inside the paint. The Bucs got him as insurance and since they are playing decent...probably took him so that no one in front them in the standings signed him.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I liked how in SVG's press conference, he was exasperated about the banked 3-pointer from Frye... without remembering that Ish banked one in as well earlier in the game. I'd say that the luck shots evened out nicely in this one.

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm thinking if Jones can't even make the roster for New Orleans and can't even get into a game for Milwaukee, there must be some issues with him.

roscoe36 likes this.
  15. roscoe36

Well, he's no Amir Johnson.

Walter likes this.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I listened to Van Gundy's post game comments. Someone asks/says something like 'Andre seemed very active defensively. He's getting out on guys up top.'

We know from the Zach Lowe piece a couple of weeks back that this is what the Pistons want.

Van Gundy answers, 'Well it's tough for him to decide when to come out and when to stay back. We're on him all the time about hanging back and challenging shots so it's tough.'

WTF!?!? I've long felt that he doesn't fully commit to getting out on guys because he doesn't trust what is going on behind him. This would be an easy sell if Van Gundy said just get out on the shooters and we will deal with the rest like this and I will hold X accountable if it breaks down.

He doesn't do that though. He - and he said this several times throughout - can't communicate with the players.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The real Bill Laimbeer was talking about Chuck Daly's ability to back off and let the players form their own identity the other night. Then , against the Cavs, Marcus Morris takes over and tells Stan he's got this. So, Stan just had an epiphany and may take a more Daly-like approach. Andre's listlessness in some games might be better handled by his teammates. Stan yelling at him doesn't seem to motivate.

Walter, del, C-Bill and 3 others like this.
  18. jzchen

jzchen Team Captain Forum Donor

Is it just me or did anyone notice that Baynes is the biggest cheerleader when he's not playing (on the bench). He stood up and claps at every basket we made. Each & every basket....

19. roscoe36

Dre is the last line of defense. Somehow Mensa alumni Ben Wallace and Dwight Howard figured it out.

He's a good teammate. And the better the team does, the better his summer negotiations go.

Sometimes doing the right thing aligns with what is in our self-interest.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  20. tirtep

tirtep Team Captain

I always have thought this strategy applies to hinder the scoring ability of the opposing team.

roscoe36 likes this.