1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Cleveland Cavaliers - Sunday, April 24, 2016 GAME 4

Discussion in '2016 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the Pistons have a lot more talent than the C's.

coynejeremy and BallDon'tLie like this.
  2. lapiston

lapiston All-Star

Right. By game three, you could see that the Piston forwards could drive at will (mostly Love was the victim), but Thompson was not much better. They rave on Thompson but Andre made him look ordinary. The media, even in sports, is ridiculous.

On Stanley, he has a head for defense. A couple of times he anticipated a slow developing play by the Cavs and started to double messing up their play. I haven't seen that from the other starters. I wish Andre would do that. Many times Love and others telegraphed a play, one that took a while to set up, and Andre did not come over. Notice when Kyrie attacked, he never really dished to anyone. Stanley already has a feel for such situations. Andre needs to be taught to roam and take timely chances protecting the rim. You will get burned sometimes, but overall, it will make the defense stronger.

I would rate the Pistons right after the Cavs, Toronto, Miami and Atlanta. And talent wise, I would project them to pass Atlanta soon with experience and Miami as key players there age. The Pistons front line is way better than Toronto. But the Pistons cannot rest. The next year or so is critical to move forward and not get stuck in the middle. Not fall in love with the middle.

jzchen, roscoe36 and BallDon'tLie like this.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was dismissed as rookie trash talking, but he definitely got in Lebron's head and it will be a match-up as we go forward with the young guy getting more experience and the vet fading. Stanley is 19 and Lebron is 31....look for the 24 year Stanley to have the upper hand on the 35 year old Lebron in 2020 if the kid keeps his head on straight and plays on a team with a winning attitude.

jzchen and roscoe36 like this.
  4. LA Dre

The one thing that I hoped Charles Barkley was wrong on was that with a Cavs 1 point half time lead, the Pistons were going to get swept. The soothsayer did not have eat his words...he was right...

As Barkley pointed out, we had 5 capable starters and Stanley Johnson.....we could not win with the other guys on the bench. Baynes, Blake, Bullock, Tolliver and Hilliard are not going to win you "Playoff games" . They are only out there to give the starters a rest. We need bench players that can contribute on both the offense and defense ends.

Baynes was probably the most productive bench player we had out there other than Stanley, and we still got nothing out of him (Baynes).

We can assume that we will see improvement in the starters next season....KCP on his shot, Dre in FT's, Reggie in leadership, but we need bench replacements that can actually start on other teams and will be up to Stan and Bowser to find them.

1989 likes this.
  5. del

del All-Star Forum Donor

Shattered. Really had hoped we would take one game. Would have been a big step, especially the way Cleveland has been playing.

Took the first one getting in the postseason with 44 wins though.

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. lapiston

lapiston All-Star

I wouldn't worry about sweep or no sweep. I was hoping that the team could compete. And it more than did that.

I saw the playoffs as an opportunity to see what the Pistons really have. You can't hide in the playoffs. You can either be effective or not. And so now Stan can target what is needed. This was never the finished product.

And Stan has shown that he will not be content (he has almost remade the whole roster). And so you can ask yourself, with a better bench, what would happen? If Andre learns to protect the rim, what would happen? If he made free throws, what would happen?

And even tougher questions: if you put a scorer next to Reggie, how would the offense look?

Dre, I think Reggie gets a lot of blame but often he is in situations where there is no one else to work off of. Yes, he tries to play what Shaq calls hero ball but often, he is stuck being his own best option. Have to see the replay, but yesterday, on the last play, Pope had the ball and took time to give it to Reggie. Was it possible for Pope to bring the ball up directly with only a few seconds left? Anyway, Stan can evaluate the team much better after the playoff experience.

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

On the positive side of that comment is that we have a really solid, young core of 6 players returning for next couple years. I think Hilliard may join that core, but it's still early to make a call on him.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

9. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! Bench Warmer

Yep, we lost the effing war...

Now I'm PISSED!!!!

10. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! Bench Warmer

Another interesting trade deadline coming up. Or offseason.

Roscoe, let me know if this would be appropriate to move to an off-season thread BTW.

Donates is an RFA and the Houston Rockets are a salary cap nightmare I believe. Do they sign him? Should we if they don't? Do we go with a rookie point guard?

Poor pistons had no where to go on that last play. Everyone spread out like an iso. I don't think the lane was all that open and no guarantee he makes it. A TO would have helped but we had a bunch of youngins who had no idea what was going on...

I stress we need defense after those first two games, but Reggie and KCP did what they could. Tobias and Marcus exploited mismatches as live and Tristan couldn't keep up. They played well on defense. What we couldn't secure was boards with Dre out.

Kyrie player the best he's ever played. Maybe LeBron realizes that the Cass are better off without him enforcing his will and he made a grave mistake that could have cost them.

But there's nothing you can do about a half court shot. Kyrie balled out, period.

So where do we do from here? Baynes takes the Joel Anthony role, and we find a SUITABLE player for when Andre subs out in the final minutes. Who is that guy?

Reggie has a fair contract under this new cap, Marcus is a cot damn steal, and Tobias is a good one too. Are we in good shape? Will Drummonds contract have FT incentives? I'm already excited!

LA Dre likes this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

13. LA Dre

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

Reggie doesn't always do or say the smartest things, but his heart is in the right place. He isn't afraid to fail. He wants to help lead the Pistons to greatness again. He is learning how to become a leader.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am still hoping the league slaps him with a big fine.

Mogilny likes this.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We will have multiple offseason threads. You're welcome to re-post this in whole or part.

I wouldn't get too excited about anyone until the Finals start, particularly not someone whose team is still in the playoffs.

17. Susie914

Susie914 Team Captain Forum Donor

Was really disappointed last night. I so wanted to win that game, felt like crying. But I realize it was an important step for us to take. Really proud of the whole season, this short but sweet postseason, our guys did the best they could. Really looking forward to next year, hope we can hook up with one or two bench players we desperately need. One or two Vinnie's is all we need. Enjoyed all the chatting this year too, I will miss you guys over the summer.

18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A few people saying we need to upgrade our SG. In KCP's defense he was our 3rd leading playoff scorer at 15.3 behind Morris (17.8) and Drummond (16.8), but ahead of Harris (14.5) and Jackson (14.3).

He actually shot pretty well in the series. 44% from the field and 44.4% from 3.

Compared to his regular season stats:
    PPG: 15.3/14.5
    FG%: 44.0/42.0
    FGA: 12.5/12.6
    3P%: 44.4/30.9
    3PA: 6.8/4.9

We have 5 starters who all average double digits and at least 10 shots per game. How much do we really want and expect KCP to score on this team?

19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Rightly said. It is so obvious that one must begin to wonder about SVG's weaknesses and this may be, but one. None of the starters have a clue about this thing that comes so naturally to Stanley and yet, how many (at least 15) staff members have not seen this?

None of team members have this awareness level that should take them away from their singular positions. The same goes with why they don't have a group sync in crashing the boards. How many times have we seen Dre as the lone rebounder (and if Stanley is present, the one who gathers around the rim)? Is there a territorial imperative going on here? Is the whole staff one great big selective information tunnel upon and yet separate from, the other tunnels? Does anyone have that hidden talent, (beyond the lonely eyes of attentive fans) that old-timers have called, the eye test?

20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A leader is one who becomes perceptive, when he notices that there are options and they don't evolve into deceptive illusions about your greatness.

roscoe36 and Walter like this.