Away Cleveland Cavaliers Saturday Dec 8 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He used to work with Laimbeer on the local TV broadcasts during the early Flip era, right? I liked them as a team if that was them.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Monroe is a center because he doesn't have a 15' foot jumper. You'd think he'd have played PF at some point during the year if he was one.

We can't make him into something he's not because it suits our needs.
    KGREG likes this.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Moose can hit a 15 footer well enough to be a power forward. That aside though, we have actually seen Monroe play power forward along side Drummond at center plenty to start evaluating how Monroe does as a power forward. However, the coach has not very often put a good solid backcourt in with these two. The pair does pretty darn well, despite the coach hamstringing them by who he plays in the backcourt.

Lets see a unit of Knight, English, Singler, Monroe, and Drummond. Plenty of outside shooting to force good spacing, and then watch Monroe and Drummond operate inside like its suppose to work.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

How about that turn around Jordan-style jumper Brandon Knight had last night in the late 3rd-early 4th run?

I'd like to see the Pistons have Knight pushing the ball and/then driving when they're in the half court. It plays to the strength of their big men who like to hit the offensive glass. Maybe they could even develop an alley-oop of some sort off of it (God forbid).

This along with Drummond getting some major burn feels like the quickest way to develop some type of offensive identity and the march towards 9-10th place in the Conference.

They've got to stop the Hope one of our role players explodes for 17 pts merry-go-round they've been riding for years. (If this works it might even allow some of our role players to play a role!)
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Tay played well with them that first game (OKC?) they played together when it did go well.

I got no problem with them trying it out, but if it becomes a Drummond v Monroe only choice as it seems to be now I want to clear the way when Monroe's value is at its' highest.

What if they could get some 2 and 3 spot needs properly filled or an already assembled 4 man for Monroe + one of the Tay, Stuckey or CG blemishes?
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I went to the Bulls Knicks game last night was noticing a couple things in warm ups while I was sipping my beverage.

1) Boozer calmly nailed 13 J's in a row from college 3 range on the left baseline without jumping or touching rim.
    2) Sheed was Karazy. His warm up routine was lefty 3, unusually high arcing shot in the layup line, trying the shooting 2 balls at once trick, and then some bank treys. Of course, in the actual game, he then intentionally banked in a 3, which you don't see very often.

Those are PF's.

However, I don't mind the 2 center system if one of them can pass like a guard.
  7. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

The guy who kept saying "deep in the Q" bugged me. That wouldn't be Fred would it?
  8. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

But he does have that shot. And more importantly, he has passing vision out of the high post, meaning we can run a classic hi/lo opposing post set-up, or overload the weakside and still be effective.

Even if you do crowd the paint with Moose and Dre, it is apparant that this is not the problem. The problem is our gaurds collapsing defenses around them because they can't shoot outside of 18ft.

Greg Monroe is a cornerstone player. Dre is showing that he can be another. I have high hopes for Brandon. Singler plays very well for a rookie (essentially) and could end up being a decent starter. That gives us one position to fill. I would much rather chase a single player and shore up our bench with a $20m free agency, than trade away our best player because his value is high and try to get a whole team out of it. That is what perpetual 7/8 seeds do. If you want a championship, you need to build a team that works. And you need to keep your talent!
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I really like that both of our young bigs have great hands. There is so little fumbling going on in the paint compared to what you'd expect.

I have no idea how Drummond can anticipate the passes that he gets considering that he has had 1 year of college bball and not much formal development. Hopefully it is a sign of incredible bball aptitude/ IQ. After watching him play defense, I'm leaning that direction. He hedges well, shows well, blocks shots, and steals passes without taking undo risks. Just a smart player with gifted agility.

Monroe is just as smart and has a more killer attitude, but he just doesn't have the physical tools to play D like Drum. He's disciplined and strong with quick hands though. When he's not playing against freaks like Noah, these attributes allow him to box out and get more than his fair share of boards. The steals are also above average. On offense, he could be a triangle type big man. His driving ability from the FT line is a strength too. And his FT% has come around. He's basically the 14th best FT shooting C in the league 2 years running. His J has potential, but he's just not making it at a rate that justifies taking them. I believe he can adopt it over a summer or two and get it up to half of what his FT% is. But his passing ability is top 3 caliber.

If I were GM, I'd stick with this combo and build the team around their strengths and weaknesses. I do agree with Panda that Josh Smith would be a pretty sweet edition. Adding one of the league's best shot blockers at SF would make us a great shot blocking team even with Monroe. Smith/Monroe/Drummond backing up the guards would allow us to go to the 2004 model and get lengthy/ big guards who don't necessarily have to stay in front of their men. They can cheat out knowing that a no fly zone will be enforced behind them. They'll also be able to cheat and cherry pick to the break instead of help with the rebounding.

And lastly, I just like Monroe's attitude... except for the whining to refs. He's serious on the court and seems like a great teammate all around. I could see him being somewhat intimidating in a Duncan way after getting some success. Getting a guy like Cousins would scare me as I'd always be wondering what cracks are forming in the foundation.
    The Panda likes this.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Yes, that's him.

Fred: "Deep in the Q"

Austin Carr: "ARRRGHHHH.........deep in the stew is right Mike............heeheeeeeee....ARRRRGHHHHHH.....eh, eh!"
    alexa032 likes this.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Monroe is often a disinterested, non-physical and non-athaletic defender.

I'd still like to see him play more though.

No one on the Pistons is having a worse year than Lawrence Frank.
    KGREG likes this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

McCloud was too much of a homer. I agree. He was annoying with Detroit and is even more annoyinger now.
  13. The Panda

He is an impact defender anyway you look at it. It's crazy. But I remember when we were discussing him as a draft pick, the consensus really became that if he was a good rebounder and played good defense then we would be happy. Points were just a bonus.

It is now safe to say that he is exceeding those expectations. I'm really happy for him.

Getting Smith gives you one of the strongest defensive front courts in the league. Add a player with a similar defensive skill set to Sefolosha at the 2, run smith in a box zone in front of Moose for help, and this will actually be a 2004 throwback team.

It also gives you a scary athletic transition team. Drummond is fast. Josh Smith is fast. Brandon is fast.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ummm, Josh Smith can't shoot.......say goodbye to spacing.
    The Panda likes this.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

For the record...
    I don't want OJ Mayo.
    & I don't want Josh Smith.
  16. The Panda

Except he went 4-4 beyond 23ft against the Heat? You are thinking of the old 20ft brick that he hoists up 4 times a game. Nobody can hit that shot. Even if he couldn't, he is a wing player than can score 16-20ppg if he wants. Legit scorer. With Knight and Singler/English sitting in the corners, the spacing will be fine. You only need one 3pt threat to space the floor.

This team needs defense first. Offense can come later.

OJ Mayo will come crashing back to earth pretty soon. He won't be such a dangerous player when he is shooting 35% from 3, compared to his current clip of like 50%
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Someday it would be cool if we got one of those players that could play both offense AND defense.
    It's been a few years since we had one of those guys.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Smith has scored in single digits once this year. He's 7-11 from 3-point land in his last 3 games, which puts him at .462 for the season (compared to .290 career average). For comparison, Sheed has a .336 career 3-point average. So, he's worse than Sheed, but better so far this year (Sheed is shooting .290 this year).

7 double doubles and 10 multi block games so far though.

With his D, I think that his range is serviceable.

With Monroe and Drummond cleaning up Smith's "Kobe assists", I think that it would be really fun to watch.

Personally, I'm looking to win with a historically dominating defense. I want it to be no fun for the other teams and I want the NBA to rethink the rules because of the Detroit Pistons again.
    linwood likes this.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm with you 100%

Bring back the 68 to 72 slug fest!

I think some of my favorite basketball of all time was the 2002-2006 Pistons/Pacers matchups.
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No, please no. I remember sitting through those Pistons/Pacers and Pistons/Nets game and about halfway through the third quarter legitimately wondering if either team would score again.

Of course I also remember the backups chasing every Lakers reserve point guard off the floor.
    linwood likes this.