Home Cleveland Cavaliers Monday Dec 3 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Singler continues to really, really impress me.

Drummond, with five offensive boards, is showcasing why he and Monroe should be the centre pieces of this team. Incredible
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Make that 7. In 11 minutes of play.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think we have more blocked shots in this game than we had in our last 3 seasons.
    Maxiell's block in the 1st half (the one he batted to BK) was TIGHT!
    roscoe36 likes this.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This game started going down hill for the Pistons, the moment Kyle Singler got poked in the eye by SideShow Bob. They led by 17 then and after a quick bucket by Max, put them up by 19, the Pistons played about the same that they did in their previous road games, getting outhustled and outscored and had to hold on for the 10 point victory.

The start of the 4th was very ugly as neither team seemed like they really wanted the game. I had a funny feeling in my gut as the clock wound down that I was going to witness another meltdown by a Detroit team like the Lions did yesterday.

The Cavs got back in it by throwing a zone at the Pistons in the 4th and at one time the Pistons came down the floor and hoisted three straight treys....and missed them all.

All starters but Moose got into double figures, as he was frustrated around the hoop, and got his last hoop on one of his 14 rebounds off a missed Singler three.

Might be time to end the Charlie experiment as he missed his first 5 shots and (including 0-4 from beyond the arc) getting his only bucket on a left handed jam after getting a nice feed from Drummond just to left of the hoop. Give him credit for a steal and blocked shot....:bs:

Singler, Tay and Max got them going in the first half where the lead extended to 22 points, but they looked like a different team during the last 18 mins of the game. With the game being that close in the end, the Irving and his backcourt mate Waiters may have pulled out a W for the Cavs....

As the experts say, you got to play 4 quarters consistently to win consistently and our Pistons are still learning how to do that. Needed win though to get out of the funk of those two road losses.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Playing a Kyrie and Waiters-less Cavs team at home, this game was always expected to be a W, but man that was an ugly way to win in the end with the team seeming deflated once Sideshow Bob flopped his arms in the air and poked Kyle in the eye. The Palace was dead quiet too save for a few choice boos after unfavorable calls and oohs after blocked shots.

Greg scored in single digits for the first time in a while with just 9, his shots bouncing around and off the rim more often than not to finish 4 of 10 for the game. He did, however, have 14 boards and 5 assists (3 TOs) in his 35 plus minutes. He did a good job staying patient and not forcing shots for most of the game, but they didn't really go to him as often as you'd expect.

Brandon had a solid game, getting to the line more than anyone else on either team, able to get to the rim with ease and finishing well but missed all 4 of his 3 point looks, despite being wide open every time. He led the team in scoring with 17 to go with 5 assists (3 TOs) and 5 boards.

Max was good, hitting the midrange jumper with ease and blocking shots (including a Zeller dunk attempt) to finish with 5 blocks along with 12 points (6/12 shooting) and 6 boards.

Kyle was his usual self and was on track for a nice game scoring wise with iirc 13 in the first half before the Sideshow Poke that required him going back to the locker room to get it checked out. Nevertheless, he finished with 15 on slightly less than efficient 6 of 14 shooting (he led the team in FGA), his shot being off after the poke. He also had 6 boards and an assist.

Stuck played well. His collisions bore some fruit, but his hey! did not, as he got to the line only once and missed both his 3 point shots. He also had 6 assists.

Tay was ok. I say ok despite the 60% shooting because his signature palm the ball for 5 seconds and jack up a bad shot move was on full display. It also caused a shot clock violation.

Andre was nice and active on the boards with 12 in just over 19 minutes. He also had 3 blocks.

BoT - this fellow should be seeing the end of the bench pretty soon if he keeps this up. Guy was jacking up shots and playing crappy defense all game long. He did have a dunk on a nice Drummond feed though.

Corey - no impact, again. Though perhaps that's better than having a negative impact.

Coach Frank - I give him credit for staying with Andre despite the 2 early fouls. He also played Greg and Andre together for a not insignificant stretch.

Not the best way to end a game, but they earned the win by playing better than the admittedly very short handed (but very hard playing) Cavs for most of the game (they led by 22 at one point after all).
    jzchen and basketbills like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Granted we played a pretty poor team with good players out...

But we have ourselves a 3 headed monster of bigs right now that is a thrill to watch. 28 points on 30 FGA, 32 rebs, 6 assists, 3 steals, 10 blocked shots!, and a baker's dozen of forced misses. Great job by Drummond to play without fouling after picking up two quick ones. Great job by Max and Drum to shut down the paint in a major way. I can't say anything about Andre's minutes because he was officially gassed and it was clearly starting to affect the team negatively when LF finally went back to Maxiell. Maxiell also continued to show that his jump shot is for real. I'm in a state of constant amazement that it keeps going in.

And we saw glimpses of the future tonight. Monroe and Drummond each throwing some really nice interior passes. Knight was scoring first, but also mixing in some decent passes on occasion. His speed was mostly on display tonight as he got to the glass several times in the half court set when they gave him little windows of opportunity.

Singler continued to bring his Duke game to the NBA- textbook efficiency zero agenda bball. 15 points on 14 shots and he had as many rebounds as Maxiell with 6.

Stuckey was pretty good with 6 assists and some key buckets to keep the lead up when it was slipping. Would be great if he could make contributions like this consistently without getting in the way.

I think a game where Knight, Stuckey, and Monroe all have 5 or more assists is pretty good and reflects the combo guard- point PF/C model that we have. It's unique, especially since we don't have a soft Euro Center.

Stat of the night:
    2 separate players in the game had 9 offensive rebounds (Drummond and Varejao). I can't imagine that happens very often. Probably no way to look it up.

FLASHBACK:
    On March 4, 1992, Dennis Rodman tied the NBA record for most offensive rebounds in an NBA game with 18. On that night, the Pistons beat the Pacers 110 to 107. The Worm had 18 offensive boards and 16 defensive rebounds for a total of 34. The entire Pacer team only had 38 rebounds and the Pistons missed 60 shots! Talk about beast mode... also tack on 10 points, 2 assists, and 3 steals for fun.
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, Drummond and Monroe are the future--you could kind of see that tonight. But you could also see that the roster is full of players who do not complement this pair.

Again, in the 4th, no half court offense. The Pistons will see more zone as Singler is the only consistent shooter on the team.

The team needs a guard who can get a team with Drummond and Monroe into sets. That pair need shooters all around them.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Aside from not having the shooters, passers and probably the pass catcher what is stopping the Pistons from running some alley-oops for Drummond?
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He seems to be out of the rotation now, but Will Bynum was actually pretty good at throwing alley oops to Drummond off the pick-and-roll.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great game to watch. Until Singler got the eye injury. Then it was hang on and hope.

Until that injury, Frank coached very well with the players he has chosen to be in his rotation. But I tell you, the Pistons can be a much better team even than the one that had a 20+ point lead before Singler got injured. We are using two guys who can't play defense in Maggette and CV. And tonight, neither hit an outside shot for us. (or did Maggette hit one. Could be mistaken.)

Anyway, I had to rewatch the last few minutes of the 1st quarter to convince myself what I thought I saw was real. Yes, Frank actually, for his first substitution, substituted a point guard in for our starting point guard. Seems simple, and yet, its only the 2nd game this season I believe where Frank has did this simple thing, substitute Stuckey in for Knight in the first quarter, leaving Stuckey as the point guard, with Singler, a shooting guard, still in the game. And Tay, a small forward, was still in at small forward. All seems pretty simple, and I am very glad to see this very simple thing done right tonight.

When Singler got hurt, Stuckey came in. We hung in there for a while, but before that unit got taken out, our 20 point lead was more like around 10. We hung on for the win - but if English was playing some, we could have brought him for Singler and probably increased the lead rather than let Cleveland back in the game. Further, in that first half, Singler not only started at shooting guard for us, he played as the primary backup to Tay at small forward. A lot to ask of one guy. Adding English, or Middleton, or even Daye, would ensure Singleton stayed fresh for the 2nd half. Talking of Singler, he dug out a very key rebound toward the end of this one. Also, since Singler moved up to small forward when Maggette came in, it put Maggette where he hurts us less on defense, shooting guard.

The Stuckey for Knight substitution did not cause us to miss a beat. What a contrast to when Bynum came in, dribble the ball around to run most of the clock before hot potatoing it to Stuckey. Much better.

So anyway, considering the injury, and what coach has chose to stick himself with as far as who plays, darn good job tonight.

Singler hit a few 3's. Got some closer in shots down. Kept that ball moving well - his pass into the post to Monroe let Monroe pass it to give an easy bucket (JMAX I think.)

Worst plays of the game. But understandable since the unit can't really work. Knight and Stuckey in the backcourt. Drummond and Monroe up front. Can't remember who the 5th guy was at the time, maybe Tay, but twice instead of trying to feed the post we got 3 tries. Knight, then Stuckey. Hey, if you got the twin towers in, go to them. Why won't the unit work? No outside shooters in. Defense packed in. Knight and Stuckey were so wide open I guess they had to shoot it.

We got to see a good long stretch of Monroe and Drummond paired in the 2nd half of this one. Two stretches actually. Loved it. Between quarters and later toward crunch time. (I think JMAX came in for the last few minutes.) In a way, I thought this was Drummond's best game. Not because of what he did himself, although that was truly amazing the way he pulled down offensive board after defensive board - it was the way he was so comfortable playing along side Monroe. Like knowing he had help around the basket. The confindence in him seemed to soar as the game went on.

Its getting late. Got to wrap it up, though there is more I would like to say. Basically, I hope that soon we get to see this team optimized. Another true big in the rotation - for times and teams JMAX does not work for as a power forward. (Even this one Cleveland had a ton of O boards to start the game.) CV packed and gone. Ditto for Bynum and Maggette. More young players getting a shot to show us fans what they can do. But meanwhile, I see coach is straightening his rotations out so that helps. I was very entertained by this game. Loved watching it to no end - and will probably be watching it a few more times yet before I delete it.
    brofmfa likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Too risky. That play sounds good in theory, but nobody ever pulls it off in the real world.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Tonight in the 2nd half Singler played a little outside of himself and I was glad to see it. I want to see this kid expand his comfort zone a bit. Teams are going to start closing out on him really hard and it's important that he gets comfortable with putting the ball on the floor for a short pull up jumper. And while BoT missed shots, it's no reason to pull him out of the rotation....yet. Max is playing GREAT! Unfortunately we all know what that will mean this summer :(
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Yes he was. Unfortunately he is the only Pistons who can pull off those NBA-guard like things.
    Max is turning 30 this year. That might move him in to the veteran leader/$age level in Joe's mind.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why is English getting ZERO minutes? That guy is so buried.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't take Max seriously simply because it's a contact year. I'm glad for the team that he's playing well, but the better he plays, the more I'm frustrated with him. Why did he not show this kind of performance in past seasons? Was he mismanaged by coaches, or is he just another contract year all-star?
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

JIMMMMMERRRR!
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

One of my favorite parts of the game was when Tayshaun did 3 pump fake-jab step combos on Ty Zeller before the young fella foolishly committed a foul. George and Greg praised Tayshaun's pump faking ability.

But just watching Drummond play last night was worth the price of admission.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's simply due to stucky's mastery of the backup sg position. He's putting on a clinic out there.
    alexa032, The Panda and KGREG like this.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Max produced last year as well.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Drummond went up to block a shot in the 1st half last night landed and out jumped 2 Cavs for the defensive board after he couldn't block it.