Home Cleveland Cavaliers Friday Feb 1 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Slava looked very smooth on those free throws last night. Very sound and confident stroke...nothin' but net.
  2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I followed that team and I know that when big nasty was doing his thing, Zelly was out of the post and playing baseline extended for a jumper. What I think you are missing is also Big nasty didnt force into double teams. Also Big nasty had a reliable jumper that he used to get his defender up on him. 2 Post players isnt a bad scenario, but they cant both play in the post at the same time...also if they are going to be interchangeable? they both need to be able to hit the jumper. right now Drum isnt going to bring any defenders away from the rim because he is not a threat out there. Also until Drum starts shooting and hitting his jumper? neither is he. Bynum is a NBA player, he has a role and he usually plays it well. That bench did well because Corliss forced the defense to stay tight and we had shooters, I think the entire forum agrees that is a good recipe for success. I think most here agree that with Drum in the post he is getting LOTS of attention anytime a guard drives. I think the difference is he guard /sf combos we have had out on the floor, much moreso than you wanting Moose to not shoot the open J and instead force a drive into a double team. That is a bad idea and should never be thought of as a viable option, that will result in 1 of 2 things happening...#1 turnovers at an alarming rate or #2 Moose fouling out of alot of games on the offensive end and Ill throw in a 3rd just for giggles..#3 Monroe losing his voice and recieveing More Ts than Sheed from screaming "and1"
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

A double team in the post, is one thing and Bigs draw a double and kick out or shoot before it gets there all the time if theyre good. Attacking a double team is something Very good players/ guards/sf do from the perimeter due to great handles and physical abilities...all of which Moose does not posess.Moose routinely gets stripped and blocked or simply misses bunnies in the post, this is not the guy I want trying to split double teams and force shots. You are wanting him to be an elite Hakeem player and Im sorry..he is not and never will be. He is a player that has some skill and should kick it out when the double shows up, and should shoot the jumper when its open. Thats it.
    round likes this.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I don't remember any great Center/PF that has an open mid range jumper that he can hit that passes that up and drives into a double team and forces a shot up... please show me one. I can recall great centers receiving the ball in there sweet spots and hitting a shot against a double team.... that is a totally different animal.

A ball handling guard will split a double team and go to the hole but they rarely pass up an open jumper to drive into the double team to force a bad shot.

If your double teamed and forcing a shot thats bad team basketball, unless its under 5 secs on the shot clock the smart play is to find the open man and make the pass.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Round, then I say you are trying to deliberately disagree with me, rather than trying to understand my words. An already set double team? Of course nobody would drive into that. But if the lane is packed on you, with your guy laying off you trying to prevent the drive, you can still drive in, and get the shot off before a double team is set. Just watch any NBA game with a strong inside player in it, and see for yourself.
  6. copper

copper Bench Warmer

If your man is backed off you and the lane is packed in, and you still drive into that? you are a moron and should be on the bench behind abenhour. That is exactly the time you shoot the ball. This is basketball 101. No one gives up the easy uncontested shot and drives into a packed lane to get better rebounding advantage.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Monroe must be a moron? He has driven into a packed lane over a hundred times this season.

Jerry Stackhouse, in his prime, made a living out of driving into a packed lane.

There is a big difference between driving into a packed lane vs. driving into a double team set against you.

In a packed lane situation, the double team is not set, and someone has to come over to double team after you start your drive. You can negate this attempt at a double team simply by getting the shot off before the double team gets to you - among a few other options.

Back to Stackhouse, he often had a double team against him, plus a packed lane, and still, over and over and over again - especially in tight game situations, drove in and won the game for us.

PS, Stackhouse could shoot lights out. But he still drove into the lane. Packed or not.
  8. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Stack was a high volume scorer, not a shooter. He was also shipped off because he would attack bad situations, like a packed lane and tilted coverage...However at the time, we had no other viable options so he had to attack this way.
    Monroe is a moron for driving into a packed lane this season...he has been given the open jumper and refused to take it in games and drove instead and it cost us numerous scoring chances.
    Lee you can plead til your blue in the face, attacking a packed lane instead of taking a open jumper from the foul line is the dumbest basketball play there is. It shows zero confidence in your shooting ability, as well it is a recipe for losing basketball...and lo and behold we have a losing record and a center that leads the league in getting his shot rejected and / or missed bunnies.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So lets get this straight. Stack did not know what he was doing. Monroe is a Moron. Stuckey is worthless. Bynum is your hero. Exactly what did we ever agree on? Kind of hard to remember at the moment. lol
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bynum is my hero.
  11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Bynum is no hero...hes a decent backup guard off the bench, who will probably not be here next year either. Stuck has worth, on a team that can use his strengths which are attacking the rim, we need our guards to be shooters from distance to keep the floor spread for Drum and Moose to have room, Stuck just isnt good enough for that role.
    Stack knew what he was doing, he was trying to lead the league in scoring because that was the only thing we had going for that team...and Stack forced some shots in traffic, you make it sound like his entire arsenal was attacking the packed paint and beating doubles.
    Monroe has had a few games where he did what you are saying, he passed up open shots and drove into a packed sagging defence..and it was horrible. Im pretty sure everyone here agreed he was a moron for doing so. Much like answering your wifes " do these pants make me look fat" question honestly ..or closing your eyes during a fight...the next thing you know? You Lost, and you were stupid for doing it.
  12. BillLaimbeer

EVERY player makes poor decisions once in a while. That doesn't make them morons.
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

once in a while? nope that makes them human. If they continue to make that same mistake? what would you call it?
  14. BillLaimbeer

I might call someone a player that needs to work on decision-making. I wouldn't call them a moron. My parents taught me not to call people names. Treat people with respect. Remember the Golden Rule.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Cav team we rolled over seems to be on the brink of taking down OKC.
  16. copper

copper Bench Warmer

potato potatoe
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep took out OKC 115-110....after trailing the Thunder by 5 at the half.....Irving with 35 to offset the 32 by Durant.... So who did we beat last night?
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Knight did a number on him I guess! We staved them off at a few key times when their momentum was building. I thought a couple of Bynum's jumpers were extremely important in that regard.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First, Stack sacrificed a lot of his scoring in Carlisle's first year to fit in that system. Next, if you note, I mentioned end of game situations. At the end of the game, when we had to have a score, Stack took inside, the higher percentage choice. Even against a whole lot of pressure. And nobody in Piston Land would have wanted it any different.

We lost the Boston series that year, due to not having enough shooters on the floor with Stack to take a little pressure even off Stack. Curry was the small forward back then, and far past any ability to play NBA ball. Boston was allowed not only to double team Stack (one right up on him for the shot and a 2nd a bit back playing him for the drive) but the other 3 Boston players formed a 2nd line of defense behind those two. Now, if they had just double teamed Stack, Stack would have quite successfully drove in on them. It was the rest of the team he could not quite get past.

Yes, Stuckey would be a good off the bench guy, to run the point and be the primary scoring threat driving inside. Gee, we ought to be using him as such. We did much of the season actually, and nothing was wrong with what he was doing. We should go back to it.

It will be very interesting to see what coach does Sunday, if Calderon plays. Will he play all 4 guards? Will he move Drummond to a starter? Will Kim English still play. Etc. I'd think this is a good opportunity to make some radical changes.

Just a suggestion for a rotation for Tomorrow if Calderon plays:

Start Calderon, Knight, Middleton, Monroe, Drummond.

2nd unit: Stuckey, English, Singler, JMAX, Kravtsov.

I see we have a slot left. Another big would not be a bad idea. Macklin.

Who else would be dressed: Bynum for an emergency point guard. I say find a way to dump Maggette and CV and find some young players to give a try. Add Bynum to that really, look for a defensive minded emergency point. (In studying the game tape from Friday night, yes, you could see exactly why our bench gave up so many points. Pretty much all on Bynum. Either he could not defend his man, or somebody else's man scored on us after somebody went over to get Bynum out of trouble.)
  20. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Looks like more of the Tay effect. Seems like we push the ball whenever we got the defensive rebound out of a Cav's missed shot. Knight is playing his normal 'pushing the ball up fast' game and this time, the rest of the team ran with him especially from the SF position, Singler. Even Monroe ran with him. Knight plays a better game when the offense plays within his pace. No isotay. No passing the ball to Tay on the top of the circle after crossing the midcourt and watch Tay pump fakes til the shot clock is down to 10 seconds.
    del and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.