1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home Cleveland Cavaliers Friday Dec 16 2011

Discussion in 'December 2011' started by roscoe36, Dec 11, 2011.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2011.
  1. Detroit

83.3%
  2. Cleveland

16.7%
  1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

The Cavs were more organized because our coach stated in an interview that there wasn't much time to get the team ready so he was going to focus only on defense for the most part before the first game. Offense suffered.......

2. Brap

Brap Starter

The Knight vs. Irving battle was really interesting. IMO, Knight has more upside - he's longer, faster (by a lot), more agile, a much better shooter, and he sees the court just as well and maybe better than Irving showed last night. Irving reminds me of Andre Miller. While I like Irving, I'm happier having Knight on our team.

Sometimes +- doesn't tell much of a story. Last night it did. Knight's +- was very good and Bynum's +- was very bad.

The announcers last night said that Scott Perry thought the Stuckey negotiations were going well and would be wrapped up soon. I'm not quite sure how Stuckey will play at SG. But I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be a dynamic player in our lineup. Knight is a big time long range shooter. Monroe will be a great high post center. Stuckey isn't a great shooter - but he's just about as good as it gets as a penetrator. Off the ball, especially if we have spread the floor players like Daye and Gordon and slashers like Jerebko and Stuckey, I can see Knight and Monroe as highly effective offensive players. What Stuckey adds to the mix is both great defensive ability, toughness, and the highly underated ability he has to handle the basketball securely. If Stuckey is playing at the scoring guard position and isn't being asked to run the offense, I'm wondering if that focus will result in a big improvement in his shooting percentage.

I'm a bit torn, as I think it might be best to have Daye as our SG. Optimally, I'd like it best if we could move Ben Gordon for a defend the rim big man, and have Knight Stuckey and Daye as our main 3 guard rotation, with Bynum as the 4th guard.

Here are some things the Pistons have to avoid:

1) CV playing on our team at all. I HATE his defense. HATE it.
    2) Maxiell playing more than 10-15 minutes per game. Maxiell is best in small bursts of playing time. He's only valuable as a high energy player. If we kept him to that amount of PT, he'd be a good player for us.
    3) Bynum playing the point except when he's taking the game over occassionally. Bynum is HORRIBLE defensively. Frankly, I'd prefer we traded him since he's so awful on D. To the extent we play him, he should never ever fail to press the ballhandler full-court. It's the only defensive skill he brings to the table. In half court sets when he's on D, he stays in front of his man exactly zero percent of the time.
    4) Gordon handling the ball or running the offense. I really really wish the Pistons would trade him. His D is too attrocious for words.
    5) Tay slowing the game down. With Knight and Stuckey and Daye and Monroe and Jerebko and even with Tay himself running the wings - we should become an uptempo team. Tay dribbles the air out of the ball in the old Pistons style. Will he adapt to our new style or force us back into the dark ages?
    6) Not playing Daye enough. That guy has got to get 20 minutes per game minimum - and hopefully 30 minutes. He'll be a 20 point per game scorer in this league, easily, if he gets the PT. He's very gifted with the ball in his hands. And I like his rebounding and length on D. Just a matchup nightmare.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Brap, I think you forgot the sarcasm tags when assessing Stuckey's abilities.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There were 7,927 people in attendance.

WNBA average attendance in 2010: 7,834.

The excitement from the fan base is on the charts.

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Everything was well covered by the fine posters, and it's good to read a Leecap again. But, I just cannot stop myself from posting how horrible CV was. His drives to the basket were out of control and pointless. His defense was terrible at best. He gives so much room to the guy who has the ball. I don't think he's capable of learning anything at this point.

6. max

max All-Star

Wow, wonder if its down like that league wide.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In yesterday's games:

14,013 in Indiana (vs Bulls)
    11,419 in DC (vs 76ers)
    11,257 in Memphis (vs NO)

Drawing half the crowd that the Pacers get isn't very good.

If each of those fans spent $50, then that's $400K in revenue.
    The costs of the players per game is about $600K.
    Subtract out overhead, employees, food and beverage costs, etc., and you have a dud.

By the way, the season was cut from 82 to 62 games (24% decrease), but league pass was only cut from $179 to $169 (6% decrease) which translates into an increase from $2.18 per game to $2.73 per game (25% increase) if you only watch one team. Way to welcome the fans back after the lockout.

I called AT&T twice to inquire about it and neither operator had any idea what I was talking about... and this was the day of the first pre-season game. So, apparently, their phones aren't ringing off the hooks.

8. max

max All-Star

Yes but vs the Bull the Pistons would have drawn better as well. Clev is one of the few teams that fans want to see less than the Pistons.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If there were almost 8k people there then I'm Dave Bing. There is no way there were more than 2ooo people there. I watched 3-4 other games yesterday and they all had significantly bigger crowds.

You could have set a bomb off in The Palace Friday night and not injured anyone.

That is good to know about the L Pass, Tas. Thank God for those good to do owners and their valiant stand against the spoiled, greedy players during the lockout.

coynejeremy likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good to be back. If this coach acts goofy - we know the problem is Dumars calling the shots. Cause this coach does know what he is about.

Any word on if Stuckey is coming back?

More on the game. I just saw a game recap and see young guys got all the top stat honors. Knight for assists, Monroe for rebounds and steals, Daye for points and blocks. Nice. Why I liked Monroe in this game: the pick and roll. He got a couple of slick scores off pick and rolls. Made a short jumper too, very important to ensure they don't pack it in too much on him. The negative, he blew an opportunity at the end of the game, ball slipped from his hands.

Daye, ended up leading us in scoring, on efficient shooting, while blocking 5 shots. This guy needs to play 30 minutes a game, no excuses of any kind accepted for this not happening.

Rebounding. Ben Wallace, Monroe, and JJ need to out there a lot, as that is it for rebounders on the team. Ben is getting older - we need desperately another quality big to suppliment these guys. I say we get what we can for CV and BG to address this need. No, I would not throw Maxiell into such a trade - you also got to have super tough inside players - especially ones who can defend the pick and roll well. And if the coach is so lame as to address the lack of another rebounding power forward by sticking either of toothpick one or toothpick two up there, fire him already, eat the contract. (and if Dumars insists on this, good bye Dumars already.) One more quality big, and you got a decent rotation of Maxiell, Ben, JJ, Monroe, and new guy.

Stuckey does not have a consistent outside shot, and he does not know how to fight thru picks well on defense. So he is not the ideal backup point. But for a backup point, he is fine. He draws plenty of fouls at the basket, and makes plenty of his free throws. Help him out on the defensive rotations, and live with his weaknesses. On defense, despite his one great weakness, his combination of good size and strength for a guard, along with plenty of height and quickness make his defense acceptable much of the time.

Adding Stuckey gives a 3 guard rotation of Knight and Daye, plus Stuckey. Lets not keep Bynum, who is all & all just not a point guard. Instead look for someone who can play outstanding D, and can distribute the ball. Or at least can play some D, and can flat out distribute the ball. (Yes, I would take Arroyo back for this role, absolutely - as a backup point - not a regular floor player. Should help in practices having a quality backup point too.)

Prince. Keep his minutes down. He shows no deterioration in play from too short minutes, while he does show hugely diminished ability whenever he cranks the minutes up.

Problem, Ben Wallace and Maxiell are both on the team. Neither scores well, so pairing them up is a problem. But been is too old to start, while Maxiell is too large a player to be able to hold up under starters minutes. And I don't see JJ playing major minutes at power forward, where he tends to get beat up pretty bad amidst all that hustling he does. Kind of like him better at small forward, where his rebounding goes from ok for sure as a power forward to outstanding as a small forward.

So, after the trade for a new big (for CV and BG), and sign Stuckey. our rotation could be:

Knight 32 minutes
    Stuckey 32 minutes
    Daye 32 minutes
    Prince 24 minutes
    JJ 30 minutes (24 at small forward, 6 at power forward
    Maxiell 24 minutes
    Ben Wallace 24 minutes
    Monroe 32 minutes
    New guy: 10 minutes

Bench:Arroyo, Wilkens, Jake V.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like this "new guy" concept and think that he should get more playing time.

12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Hell yeah!
    ...Carlos Arroyo - :thumb[1]:

Welcome back 356!!!

13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The little Loss label is cute. Sad, but cute.