1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home Cleveland Cavaliers Friday Dec 16 2011

Discussion in 'December 2011' started by roscoe36, Dec 11, 2011.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Dec 15, 2011.
  1. Detroit

83.3%
  2. Cleveland

16.7%
  1. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

There has to be a stream somewhere no??

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    NBA.com shows that will be on NBA TV

3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Which all but guarantees I won't be able to watch. I get blackout on regular season games that are on NBA TV. I guess I'm expected to not only purchase my NBA League Pass Broadband subscription, but then also go out at get a TV Cable subscription for ONE CHANNEL.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chat is open!

>> Link <<

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well I watched the whole game form start to finish and Larry and Joe still got some work to do. The Cavs looked they had been playing together defensively prior to when the lockout ended as they seem to be a step ahead of the Pistons and basically led the entire second half.
    The Pistons made a game of it the last 4 minutes, cutting a 9 pt deficit down to 2 with less than 30 seconds to go, but could not get over the hump. Brandon Knight made some rookie mistakes, but IMO he needs to start. He found the open man when needed and did a better job of distributing the ball than Will Bynum did when he was in there.

Everyone looked rusty as expected as both teams shot only 25% after the first qtr. Both teams committed over 20 turnovers but the Pistons just seem to come at the wrong time, so they could never get over the hump in the second half.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, I started watching late 1st quarter, on FoxSportsDetroit. After several minutes of nothingness, I was looking to paint the walls just to have something to do. Then something caught my interest. Brevin Knight. Yes, I thought we must have picked up Brevin Knight, not having followed the Pistons at all since the end of last season. But only it was not Brevin Knight after all, but rather our 1st pick, Brandon Knight. He impressed greatly on 3 consecutive plays. A 3 with extended range, a dish off an under control drive in to Daye for a 3, and then a steal and resulting score on a spin move.

The next particularly exciting moment was at the end of the game, where a 13-3 run got it within a point for the Pistons. Again, we see Knight and Daye on the floor. Knight gets inside for a score, and then Knight to Daye for a 3. Just was not enough though. During the commercial, I got a laugh out of my son by pointing out that the game was like night and day. Immediately upon return from the commercial, Blaha used the same Knight and Daye line. I hollered at the TV they stole my line.

Daye and Knight were indeed the two guys who impressed me most in this game, probably followed by Monroe . I also liked Maxiell for his toughness around the basket. Jerebko was hustling, but naturally looked rusty after not playing a game in approximately forever. Gordon did some scoring for sure, and Bynum got to the rack for some scores too, but in all, they looked very undersized and unimpressive for a starting backcourt.

CV did some scoring, but look, Daye blocked shots all night, and showed he can do everything CV ever thought he could do. (Yes, CV has shown the potential to be a fine player for scoring at the basket - just never actually stuck with that enough. First take, drop the guy fast and find someone else to start for us at power forward.

My attention did not dwell much on the new guys, Hamilton and Wilkins - too busy really watching other stuff. I can only say they did not do anything as far as offense to impress me. I did not see any of Ben Wallace, Tay, or Stuckey play. I have not heard anything on getting Stuckey signed. I see we bought Rip out? Or waived him? Gone in any case.

My opinion for the moment, not well formed to be sure, just my way of thinking about the team:

Start Brandon Knight, Austin Daye in the backcourt. Tay and Jerebko up front with Monroe.

Bench: Sign Stuckey for the bench point guard. Have Brandon Knight play backup shooting guard, so only using a three guard rotation. Keep Bynum for a spare guard, get what you can for Gordon - preferrably a big.

Up front for backup bigs: Ben Wallace, Daye backs up Tay, Jason Maxiell backs up Jerebko.

This is just an 8 man rotation. Trade CV for what you can get for him, or just release him. We need another big badly. But we got a solid 8 man rotation for now.

In sum, our 2nd unit could look like this a lot of the time: Stuckey, Knight, Daye, Maxiell, Wallace.

Ok, on a personal note, I feel like a guy just led to water after not drinking any for 8 months. About time my TV started working again, having Pistons basketball on it.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good analysis, Lee. It could be the "Knight and Daye" show this year. Jerebko will be solid. Monroe still looks soft. CV and Maxiel are worthless. There was a whole lot of really bad basketball going on. The energy in the building goes up when the Pistons push the ball up the floor, which they do try once in a while now. Jerebko and Knight were the biggest fan favorites tonight.

9. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

You can't say Daye is a starter just for 1 preseason game.. I'm sorry but Gordon has to start at SG with Brandon Knight at PG.

Then yes, Prince - Jerebko and Monroe

I'm not sure of Knight playing the 2.. I think when Stuckey (if he comes back) and Knight are playing in the same time, Knight must be the PG and Stuckey the SG

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Well...at least my prediction came in correctly....

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bill, speaking of night and day, it made that much of a difference between Maxiell being on the floor or not. You say he is worthless? He plays tough inside. Pretty valuable these days. Also, to the guy who said you can't decide anything after one game. Gordon has been on the team long enough. Time for next experiment.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Daye is a confident shooter. His signature seems to be the quick release on the corner 3 with the held pose. Great form for such a tall player.

No Stuckey, Tay, or Ben, so this is just a silly scrimmage. It will be really enjoyable to see a rookie with guaranteed playing time develop before our eyes this year.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Welcome back Lee. I got the first LIKE in on a Leecap.

14. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

What was the attendance last night? It looked very sparse (not unexpected of course)

15. max

max All-Star

It was like being at a Shock game, not much more than that.

Lee - I actually agree with your proposed lineups except I do not want Stuckey either. I say amnesty BG and don't sign Stuckey. No shooting guard you may ask? I would rather go without for now so we can get someone decent in the draft or next summer than commit to one of those losers long term.

The reality is I doubt Gores is going to approve a BG buyout so we probably are stuck with the guy. He may never be able to defend and he certainly cannot get any taller but at least he can knock down shots. And he will be knocking down a lot more shots with Knight feeding him the ball. Watching a Piston PG drive and kick out and look to pass 1st was a rare treat for me. Knight was raw but you could see the potential was there.

Everyone looked rusty ( esp the refs in the 4th Q ) but its so nice to see some ball again. Monroe, Knight, JJ - 3 keepers there.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Give the kid the ball and let him learn on the job, can't believe were going anywhere much better with him learning slowly.... Stuckey needs to go, find any trading partner... at this point if its just for a box of popcorn for Joe.... so be it.

The shooting percentage last night is something we can live with, heck they had a full 2 hour practice yesterday morning so there shots are not going to fall as they get run into shape, I'm more worried about the D. In Scotland just now so of course didn't get to watch it, but to those that did.... was there a different level of effort by folks on the def end of the court?

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The NBA should be embarrassed at calling that a professional basketball game. That was atrocious. I fell asleep 5-6 times during the game.

Speaking of atrocious, that was the word that popped to mind when I saw the Pistons starting lineup announced.

I thought Damien Wilkens was one of the best Pistons last night.

Daye can't even get a start when Tay isn't playing? Can we just announce his ludicrous extension now and get it over with?

Were there even 1000 people there? I feel bad for our own BillLaimbeer who camped out in a tent in the Palace parking lot for 2 days to get tickets to the game. It looks like he could have just walked in.

Ben Gordon really bums me out. I can't warm up to him wearing # 8.

I want to keep an eye on Monroe and his fouls. He did a great job last year of not picking up fouls, but now I wonder if that was because he was backing off. That said, I sort of want to see the Pistons not take guys out with fouls and just play all their "bigs" without worrying about foul trouble.

I would be much happier watching the Jake Voskul's, Vernon Macklin's and whoever this Hamilton guy is of the world play than Gordon and Garbage etc. These guys just prolong the pain.

I guess they should start Monroe, JJ, Tay, Knight (I liked what I saw explosive-wise) and Gordon for now.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think so, but it is hard to tell. The Cavs are pretty bad themselves. They seemed to have a collective idea of what they wanted to do though.

It also looked to me that the Pistons regrouped at the start of the 2nd half which looks like maybe the coaches are doing something.

It was nice to see Frank talking with Knight when he came out of the game.

If Stuckey signs I think he'll be eligible to keep his rookie status by missing camp and the lockout.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

There was a break in play late in the game when Knight gathered the team and said something like, 'C'mon, we got to get stops too!". It doesn't look like he is afraid to lead which is good.

We may need to see him refuse to leave bench before we're 100% certain though.

20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

So that's who the guy attending the game was. I should have known, a hardcore fan like our Bill won't miss a minute of the Voskul era.