1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Cleveland Cavaliers - Friday, April 22, 2016 GAME 3

Discussion in '2016 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He needs to go out and shoot more in practice.

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Anthony may be a better matchup against the Cavs when Dre is out. We need rim protection and don't really need scoring from that position.

max and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pass99 predicted the Cavs would win in 5 games.

roscoe36 and Nemo like this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

I'd say 90% of Drummond's FT problem is mental and the other 90% of his problem is physical.

5. Mogilny

Why was Bullock in street clothes? Is it the thing about him making threes at to high rate again?

I want to see Delly as our backup PG next year. Break the bank, Bowser.

6. Mogilny

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't assume that, but I do come from a background where you either get something done or you do not.

I do not embrace this culture of acceptance for coming up short. I don't think it is healthy in the long run to tolerate failure.

Yeah. But there are politics behind ALL of these decisions. We may not like that, but it is reality.

He was super mad. I thought he would have cooled off a bit.

I think it says something about how badly he wants to win and be competitive. I like that. The last coach we had who displayed this much fire was LB.

The Panda likes this.
  8. roscoe36

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It is easy to forget but LeBron wasn't always like this in the playoffs. We saw that.

Anyone else remember him in 06 or 07 in the huddle against us exasperatedly saying something like, 'Everywhere I go I see 5 guys.'?

He finally got going in the 4th Q of a game 3 blowout.

I bet he regrets not having a coach trying to cover his own butt by blaming him.

10. max

max All-Star

All I know is when it was Shaq, Ben Wallace, or whoever getting hacked they always came back in when the clock hit 2 mins. We have no chance with Baynes out there in crunch time - not with how badly he has been playing in this series.

LA Dre likes this.
  11. roscoe36

I think Dre being the worst FT shooter in NBA history is a legitimate problem. Yes, the worst of literally thousands of athletes spanning decades, all sizes, ages, backgrounds, races.

The absolute worst ever.

Let that sink in. He is not just bad, he is worse than anyone who has ever played in the league and at this rate, may be the worst for a long time to come.

Ben played next level defense. Dre, not so much. We are hoping that comes to be.

Shaq was an unstoppable offensive force. Dre has improved a lot, but he is still not Shaq level on offense.

I agree, Baynes has been bad. But I don't think Baynes is costing us games exclusively.

Harris and Morris have underperformed. Blake has been terrible. Tolliver a non-factor.

You can't beat a team this good when half of your team isn't playing really well.

Keep in mind, if the Cavs had Kyrie and Love last year, there is a very good chance they would be the defending champs. This is not Milwaukee.

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

S/T

13. max

max All-Star

Baynes has sucked ever since he got that Eddie Munster like haircut. Be better off with someone else in there. SVG wont play Dre in crunch time because he thinks they will foul him everytime he touches the ball and Dre is 5-22 in the 1st 2 games. But we are losing anyway. What if they just left him in and let the Cavs rack up the fouls? At some point they have to stop or key players will get in FT trouble. I get it he is shooting 35% for the year but we are losing anyway, what is there to lose? At least Dre would get used to hitting them. At some point he has to start loosing up and start making them.

You know whats going to happen with the Cavs. Next series all these 3's will stop falling and it will probably go to 7. Most Likely they will be in the Finals but no one is beating GS this year.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Let this sink in...what happens and how long do you wait if he doesn't improve?

What happens and how long do you wait if he doesn't improve?
    What happens and how long do you wait if he doesn't improve?

Just because he has plenty of negative help doesn't make me feel any better. The only way to correct some misconceptions that SVG has; just pick up someone like Marreese Speights (UFA/GSW), and watch how he transforms the rotation. Only then can we politely ask Baynes to slowly move along. Same situation with a PG/SG.

15. roscoe36

I am not scared to say that if we improve by parting ways with Andre, then I am ok with that.

I am not married to the promise of potential. Never have been.

The free throw shooting is a part of a larger group of issues.

I don't have a big problem with Baynes. He is a convenient whipping boy and if there is one thing I have learned from this community in the last 14 years, it is that we always have whipping boys.

Whipping boy

Baynes has obvious limitations. Stone hands at times, no vertical, zero lateral quickness. But man does he play hard and give 100%. And he can score a bit, and has shotblocking instincts. He isn't the kind of guy who backs down.

I was listening to someone talking about political candidates yesterday and she said, there is no perfect candidate. The same goes for lovers, athletes, teachers etc.

Lebron James is a terribly inconsistent FT shooter. James Harden can't defend a fire hydrant. The list goes on and on. Every player as some issue.

Right now, we can live with Baynes' shortcomings. We cannot however invest most of the cap into one guy who is not mature enough to keep growing. To be fair, Dre has improved a lot since last year, but what annoys me the most is how much more room for growth he has. The sky is literally the limit for him. He just has to grab the brass ring.

We can probably put up with Dre's FT shooting for another year, but we're never going to win a title with him if he is shooting under 40%. He doesn't bring the defense of Ben Wallace or the offense of Shaquille O'Neal.

16. BillLaimbeer

We would be down by 30 points at that point. Remember the Rockets brought a scrub in off the bench who fouled Drummond 5 times in 10 seconds.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some how or another we still won that game.... I agree with Ernie the slo 1, Max, TaS, Lee etal....at least bring him back in under two minutes when it is at least a 2 possession game or less.

The opposing team will think twice about bringing it down the middle (which they relish vs flat foot Baynes) and he might get that possible alley-oop and one, or that missed shot and winning put back that he accomplished once. (which without they may have been watching the Bulls or Wiz giving the Cavs a battle and probably stealing one.)

I think it is 50-50 between physical and mental. Physically, either the toss is too hard to soft or the aim is off. Mentally..."if I miss this the coach is going to yank me and I won't be able to get back in to help in crunch time"

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  18. BillLaimbeer

I agree that Drummond should be in during the last 2 minutes.

He isn't missing because he is afraid of getting yanked. He misses ALL of the time, including the beginning of the game when there is no chance he'll get yanked.

roscoe36 likes this.
  19. LA Dre

Shaq had a baby hook and a fadeaway jumpshot, but we best remember the offensive dominance of Shaq because of the power of the dunk. , He had 10,202 regular season FG's and the 1,970 playoff FG's in his career. They didn't keep dunking stats when he started in 1992, but they estimate that 40% of those FG's were dunks. So that is about 4,869 dunks or 270 per year if the figure is accurate.

Dre was 8th this season with 120 dunks. ..(11.3% of his FG's). Maybe he should bulk up some and get in position to go to the hoop for more dunks instead of that weak left hand semi hook or toss. It looks good when it goes in, but when he misses it, everyone questions wth did he shoot that one for?

That means practicing both FT's and dunks in the off season..and we all know FT's will be more important to concentrate on.

roscoe36 likes this.
  20. LA Dre

The way SVG has handled it this season, If I were him, I would always be afraid of being yanked whether it was in the first quarter or fourth. The hacka dre was more prevalent this season with the emerging dominance of Dre and in the middle and the Pistons actually good enough to beat a few pretenders and contenders.