1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Clean-Slate. How does a new GM fix this team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 7, 2014.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Analyzing our roster. From players we absolutely must get rid of, to players we could win with.

#1) Brandon Jennings. He MUST go. A) He is terrible, terrible, terrible on defense. B) He takes too many stupid shots. C) He turns the ball over too much. D) He is stupid, and not at all the coach on the floor you need your PG to be. E) He is selfish. Cares 1000x more about himself, his stats, his agenda than the team, winning. F) He is a terrible leader, locker room cancer, and a bad influence on the team-especially the younger players. G) Doesn't strike me as a hard worker, at all. I don't want him starting. I don't want him on my bench. He is ubber-talented, though. He is young. His contract isn't atrocious. And there's no shortage of stupid GM's out there. So, I think we will be able to move him.

#2) Charlie Villanueva. He MUST go. A) Again, terrible, terrible, terrible on defense. B) Totally one dimensional on offense-and it's not even a good dimension. C) Locker room cancer, loser, lazy, selfish, doesn't care, bad influence, etc. He's not worth a 4th point. He can go to Europe or sign a league-minimum deal with someone this off-season.

#3) Luigi Datome. He MUST go. A) Yet again, terrible, terrible, terrible on defense. B) Again, totally one dimensional on offense-and it's not even a good dimension. C) I don't know that he's a bad dude, but he certainly doesn't bring any substantial winning attributes to the table. D) He's not going to develop into anything. He's under contract for another season. Not an un-trade-able contract. But no one will want him. Perhaps he can be thrown into a deal before walking.

#4) Will Bynum. He MUST go. I actually used to love Will. His attitude. But he is A) Terrible on defense. B) He takes a ton of stupid shots. C) He's not smart--he turns the ball over a ton and makes a ton of bad decisions. D) Probably not a bad dude, but he doesn't bring a ton of winner's attributes to the table either. E) He's done developing. Not a horrible contract (one more season) that we couldn't move. But no one will want him. Maybe he can be thrown into a deal before walking after next season.

#5) Jonas Jerebko. He should probably go. He used to intrigue me offensively as a potential stretch four. But no. A) He can't guard anyone. B) He's weak on the boards. C) His offensive game hasn't progressed, at all. It might even be regressing. D) Seems like an okay dude. But he's obviously not working very hard in the off-season. Pretty bad contract for one more season. No one will want him, I don't think--could be wrong? There was interest in him last season? Might be able to be included in a deal before he walks after next season.

#6) Rodney Stuckey. He should probably go. I'm abandoning the A-B-C-etc. format. He can't start. He's a PG who can drive. He can't play the 2 or 3 because he can't shoot. He can't be your starting PG because he has no floor sense/intelligence and can't pass. Theoretically, he could be a dude who comes off the bench and gets you some points, almost like a Corliss. But. He still doesn't finish well enough at the rim. He's still a bad defender. He doesn't work hard in the off-seasons. He gets into crap with coaches. Bad attitude. Bad influence. Should probably go. Possibly some value remaining in a sign and trade?

#7) Josh Smith. He should probably go. If he would just attack from the perimeter on offense, board, and play hard on D.. he could be a great starter. A great starter. But, he doesn't. And he probably won't. He jacks up stupid shots on O. He doesn't work hard on D. He doesn't listen to coaches. He doesn't seem to give two bleeps. Given his age and contract status, he's in a leadership role on this team--whether he likes it or not. And he's a bad influence. He should probably go. Like Jennings, ubber-talented. Potential to be great if he gets his head right. A bad contract, but not a horrible-horrible one. Plenty of stupid/optimistic GM's out there. He could be moved.

#8) Greg Monroe. He should probably go. But not for anything average. He's young, 22. He's got a solid low-post game. He's a solid low-post defender against traditional fours. He's a solid rebounder. Good intangibles kid. The only reason I think he should go is that A) He has a ton of trade value. And B) There could probably be a better fit had in exchange for him. He COULD exist and be fine with 'Dre though. So, like I said--you really need to get something great in exchange for him. Kawai Leonard. Serge Ibaka. Goran Dragic. A really high pick. That's about the baseline of what I'd like to get in return for him. If you can't get it, keep him and roll with it.

#9) Chauncey Billups. He's overpaid. I don't think we should pick up the option on his contract. If he wants to play another year though, fine, bring him back as your third point guard/a team leader. If he doesn't, bring him back as an assistant coach.

#10) Peyton Siva. Doesn't hurt to keep him. Stash him in the D-League. See if he develops. Not optimistic that he will. Not pessimistic that he won't.

#11) Josh Harrellson. I don't mind him--as a third, not second, center. Cheap. Seems fine intangibles-wise.

#12) Tony Mitchell. Really love his potential. Stash him in the D-League. See if he develops.

#13) Kyle Singler. Not a starter. Not a starter at all. He can't guard most NBA-starting-caliber wings. He doesn't bring enough offensively. He is solid enough on both ends, though. He's smart. Good intangibles-wise. Young. Nothing wrong with keeping him.

#14) Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Don't love him. But he's young. He's shown potential as a defender. If he develops as a shooter, he could be a solid bencher, perhaps even a starter. Seems like a solid kid intangibles-wise, too.

#15) Andre Drummond. He's the center piece. Any way you look at it, one of the best centers in the NBA--currently. Probably has the potential ~ alongside Anthony Davis ~ to be the best big man in the NBA. Super young. Super talented. A good kid, intangibles-wise. Great rebounder. Pretty great defender--only going to improve. Very raw offensively. Still pretty effective. Potential to be great on that end as well.

2. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

So.. in reiteration..

1) Move Smith and Jennings, for whatever you can, if you can.

2) Sign Kyle Lowry. I think this is really a no-brainer.

3) I'd attempt to trade our '14 or '15 pick for Goran Dragic. It seems do-able.

4) I think you move Monroe for Leonard or Ibaka. If you can't, keep Monroe and roll with him.. for the time being.

5) Then, depending on what happens with Monroe, there are two different routes to go..
    .....A) If you keep Monroe (or trade him for Ibaka). I'd attempt to put a deal together for Marco Belinelli...if not possible, I'd sign Trevor Ariza.
    .....B) If you move Monroe for Leonard. I'd attempt to put a deal together for Terrence Jones...if not possible, I'd sign Kris Humphries.

C: Drummond
    PF: Ibaka/Monroe
    SF: Belinelli/Ariza
    SG: Dragic
    PG: Lowry

or

C: Drummond
    PF: Jones/Humphries
    SF: Leonard
    SG: Dragic
    PG: Lowry

I think either lineup probably makes you at least the 3rd best team in the East next season.

I really like that first lineup, in particular. Drummond and Ibaka are about the best C/PF combo you could ever hope for defensively and rebounding-wise. Ibaka's got no offensive game, but he moves around well and doesn't disrupt things, sort of like Ben. Sort of undersized on the wings with Belinelli and Dragic. But with Drummond and Ibaka behind them, it's not so bad. Both have defended well at the SF and SG positions respectively this season anyhow. Lights out shooters from deep, both of them (45 and 43%). Good all-around scorers as well. Then with Lowry I think you've got everything you want in a point guard. Excellent defender. Excellent scorer. Pretty good outside shooter (38%). Leadership potential definitely there.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    brofmfa likes this.
  3. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

So here we already have a great team in sight, any GM will be labeled as lazy if he can't make it happen.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think a player like Bynum has been feeling frustration for awhile now and his
    evolution as a Piston has been affected by his lousy circumstances.

linwood and brofmfa like this.
  5. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

My I apply this to all of our players ?

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. Nemo

Yea...but I think Bynum cares more than most all...
    I'm guessing we got a lot of stiffs who are just happy to be getting paid.

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I am getting a bad feeling that we're heading towards the Isiah Thomas era in Pistons management.

kpaav and roscoe36 like this.
  8. Nemo

I'd rather Gores sell the team to Tom Selleck, than hire Isiah as a GM....

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think Datome has been given enough of a chance to say that he must go.

roscoe36 likes this.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I want Zeke in the front office.

11. BillLaimbeer

I would take him as our PG right now.

roscoe36 likes this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

In all honesty, I don't think there is anyone the Pistons could hire right now that wouldn't make me shudder and doubt.

13. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Joe D. You might shudder, but you wouldn't doubt his ability to smudge the numbers on the contracts he gives out with his butter fingers.

He is just embarrassed and so he never fixes the mistakes. Charlie was meant to get 2yrs/4 million but all that grease turned into something more sinister

Slippy and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  14. max

max All-Star

My list of players to go

Im sick of Bynum - I really am. Sick of hearing about how much he wants to play and what a great guy he is - blah blah blah. If he was such
    a hard worker then why is his defense so bad.

Stuckey also has to go. Can't rely on someone who scores 20 points 1 game and then 2 points the next.

Getting sick of JJ too. Sick of watching him float around out there pretending to be a PF. Great guy I am sure but I am tired of him.

Jennings - Assist numbers are way up but he is shooting an awful pct and chokes in crunch time. His defense sucks too.

Monroe - no way should he get a max contract.

CV - suppose I have to mention him even though his contract is up and I dont expect any sane GM to offer him anything.

basketbills, Slippy and blueadams like this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

Stuckey is on my list of needs to go.

I don't mind having Bynum on the roster if he rarely plays. He has a good attitude at least.

The Smith/Jennings combo seems like CV/Gordon version 2. I'm not sure if you can compliment these guys with the right players or run some sort of system that makes them contributors. At least one of them may need to go.

I agree that Monroe is not worth big money.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am excited about the idea of Andre and Josh with legit shooters at the 2 and 3 and a distributor slasher at the 1.

webz likes this.
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm doubtful it will ever happen but I can see Smith being a contributor in some kind of system where he is given a very short leash. I don't see Jennings contributing to wins under any circumstances.

18. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

People forget Smith was on - and arguably the best player - of many playoff teams for the Hawks that were not stacked with talent. He by no way is CV or Gordon. Smith is a PF. Plain and simple. With that in mind, take a look down the league rosters - how many PFs could play the 3 reasonably? Its insane we signed him to play a different position. I thought for sure there was another move to get rid of Monroe, but nope, Joe D is still managing outside the box in his version of the NBA that is not defined by positions.

Slippy likes this.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Smith was the third best player on those Hawks teams.

20. Nemo

Andre and Monroe as starters.
    Bynum and JJ as back ups.
    Luigi and KCP as projects.

That's it.

linwood likes this.