Clean-Slate. How does a new GM fix this team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Toronto was thinking it was going nowhere. But that changed, and now they are top 3 in the east. Lowry is a key factor in their resurgence, and he is going nowhere.

A couple of days ago, I watched as Milwaukee totally trounced Utah. Knight made Burke look like a total rookie with no upside in sight. And Middleton was the other decent player in the game. Hayward looked useless as Milwaukee quickly took a 30 point lead. We do not need to make a trade, or look to add players. We just need to fire Dumars, and the rest, we will get by simply deceasing the habit of letting perfectly good players go for little or nothing in return.

Another subject. Long ago, we chose Stuckey as our point, and traded away Billups. At the time, this was sold as letting Billups retire in Denver, his home town. Supposedly, we were doing him a favor. All that was baloney. Just a cap move, the only kind of moves Dumars makes since he built a championship team - 11 years ago. (i.e. ANCIENT HISTORY) Back to Stuckey. How did he do? You could not say he was losing his matchups with the other points, because he was not. Night after night, he competed with even the best, showing enough defense on one end and enough offense on the other. So he was not perfect. Made bad decisions on when to drive in and when to pass. He still makes those mistakes. But never could we say that he was actually losing the game to game point guard battles.

So we draft Knight to replace Stuckey. How did that work. Turns out Knight is no more a point guard than Stuckey. But again, Knight was not losing his game to game matchups, since his defense was pretty darn good. Finally, we trade Knight for Jennings, and finally, we got a point guard who routinely loses his game to game matchups with the opposing point. He too often has nights where he can't stay in front of the opposing point, and can't hit a shot to make up for it. Still competitive though, not a disaster. (as he does get the ball up the floor, and so often to where it belongs, in our bigs hands.) But neither was Stuckey, and neither was Knight.

Its never been about our point guard. This team loses because of who it uses as roster players. Starting with Gordon and CV. Bynum and Singler. JJ is not a problem, just that we play him too much as a power forward, instead of small forward where he can give us a rebounding advantage. How bad has it been? Gee, just two games ago, we saw our coach finish a game with three of these out there, Singler, Bynum, and CV. What does that got to do with who our starting point guard is? Nothing. And this has always been the case, its poor selection of rosters by Dumars, and apparently, the insistance that those players get playing time, that is the problem. Not lack of players at any particular position, but who is chosen to play.

Nothing will save this team, save a new GM who insists that players only play who have the potential of being part of a championship team some day. As much as possible. Otherwise, trades, acquiring draft picks, getting free agents, none of it will matter. This organization is sick, only knows losing, and really should be sold to an owner who cares about just one thing: winning.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    blueadams likes this.
  2. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Billups was a "combo-guard." Did Brown want to coach here before?
  3. blueadams

Drummond is a top-4(ish) C in the league.
  4. blueadams

Good. Sign him. Then move him.
  5. blueadams

6. blueadams

Just do what I said and things will be good!!
  7. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Jennings is an interesting case.
    He's shooting less in recent games,
    but his shooting percent is around 35%.
    He needs to know which shots to make.
    Obviously, he's selecting some bad options.
  8. blueadams

Jennings is not interesting.

He's horrible on D. He doesn't give a **** about winning. He's an a-hole.
  9. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lowry is a free agent at the end of the season. There is an added possibility that because Toronto baulked at signing him long term when they had a chance, he may decide to go somewhere else. Same situation as Monroe.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Michael Beasley is a horrible, lazy player. He's the kind of player that will make Ernie the Slow Adult miss Charlie Villanueva.

It's fun to play pen and paper GM, but maybe you should do a little research on these guys beyond their stats.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I believe that we can build around Smith (or Monroe, but not both), Drummond, and hopefully Pope and this year's draft pick (if we keep it). Bynum, Stuckey, and Singler are all good bench players that could fill that role on a contender. I don't have a problem with Jerebko, but feel like we don't need him and Singler. Since Jerebko errs toward the power positions, he's more expendable at the moment.

I'd try to deal Jennings. I would either trade Smith and re-sign Monroe or keep Smith, and let Monroe go... either by not bidding on him or by matching and then trading.

Datome, Villanueva, and Siva are most probably out. Mitchell should be test driven extensively so that we can see what kind of garbage man he can be during real games.

It's usual to have the bigs locked up first. And we don't have any albatross type contracts going into next year. We're in good shape if we keep the pick. Obviously, if we win the lottery, we are in terrific shape.

We may look completely different if we had a really good coach.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Horrible on D I'll give you. The rest... come on now. How would you know those things?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    brofmfa likes this.
  13. blueadams

I can tell.
    Mogilny and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Anybody that gets punched in the face that much must be asking for it.
    linwood and blueadams like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I'm just speculating here, but I can't think of many people who would would trade Kyle Lowry - one of the better point guards in the NBA this season - for Brandon No-D-McChuckalot. Of those who I can, Masai Ujiri is certainly not one.

More likely. Not a bad trade in my mind.

I like Gordon, but he is hella injury prone. I wouldn't be opposed to this
  16. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah I realised afterwards that Lowry is a FA anyway after this season, so no need to trade for him.
  17. blueadams

Do you believe in PER? Here's a nice plan, if you do..

#1) Trade Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings to whoever'll take 'em, for whatever you can get. As surprising as it is, it sounds like there was genuine interest around the league in taking on both contracts -- in exchange for expiring contracts. Moron Joe-D actually had the nerve to ask for real assets in exchange. So, nothing happened. But if I'm the GM, peace. I'll gladly take expirings/2nd rd. picks to rid myself of these two.

#2) Match whatever contract offer Greg Monroe gets. Then trade him. To the Pheonix Suns. For Goran Dragic. 27 years old, 3rd best PER rating among NBA SG's. Most definitely on the trade market (read into it). Most definitely could be had for Greg Monroe.

#3) Trade for Brandan Wright. 26 years old, 3rd best PER rating among NBA PF's. One year left on his deal before UFA. Don't know what it'd take to get him. Hopefully not our upcoming '14/'15 pick. Hopefully the '16 or some combination of KCP/Singler/Jerebko/Mitchell/etc. gets it done.

#4) Sign Rudy Gay. People hate him on this board, for things he did in the past, for some reason. But look at the stats! 5th best PER rating among NBA SF's this season! 27 years old too.

#5) Sign Isaiah Thomas. UFA. 25 years old. 3rd best PER rating among NBA PG's.

#6) If there's still cap-room (and if there's not, Jerebko/Bynum/Datome are expiring and available for nothing).. sign Andray Blatche. 27. 8th best PER rating among NBA C's.

#7) Draft: If we get to keep our pick, I'm guessing it won't be top-4. I like Marcus Smart the best of that next group. Then if he's not there, I kind of like McBuckets to tell ya the truth.

So now..

C: A. Drummond(20/4th) - - - - - A. Blatche, J. Harrellson
    PF: B. Wright(26/3rd) - - - - - J. Jerebko, T. Mitchell
    SF: R. Gay(27/5th) - - - - - K. Singler, G. Datome
    SG: G. Dragic(27/3rd) - - - - - K. C-Pope, C. Billups
    PG: I. Thomas(25/4th) - - - - - M. Smart, W. Bynum

...An entire starting lineup of players who rank in the top-5 of their position, PER-wise.

#8) Coach search. I approach, in order: L. Brown, R. Carlisle, J. Sloan, T. Izzo, L. Hollins.
  18. max

max All-Star

I would Keep Dre, Smith , and possibly Jennings and let the rest go. No attempt at re-signing anymore. Move JJ, Bynum, and anyone with a contract. Get as many new players in as possible. Then hire a defensive minded coach who was not fired before for being a bad coach.
    kpaav and roscoe36 like this.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'd keep Drummond + Singler and get rid of the rest. Or add Pope to the keepers too, I like him.

If blue can trade an expiring Monroe for a top 5 guard I want to trade Smith for Wall.
    The Panda and BillLaimbeer like this.
  20. blueadams

Dragic is a free agent after next season too, pal. And Phoenix has been actively shopping him all season because A) They don't like him and Bledsoe in the backcourt together (for some reason??); and B) They think he's going to leave after next season.