1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Clean-Slate. How does a new GM fix this team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 7, 2014.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

My dream scenario..

#1) Larry Brown - GM.

#2) Rick Carlisle - HC.

#3) TANK, TANK, TANK. 10th place (in overall NBA standings right now) ~ 24-39, w/ 19 games remaining. Hypothetically speaking, we could finish as poorly as 24-58 (which wouldn't be THAT hard). That'd probably be enough to get us into top-3 pick territory. And, bad lotto-luck notwithstanding, that'd probably be enough to get us into position to add a legit superstar alongside Drummond in Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker.

#4) Sign Greg Monroe to a max-contract extension and trade him for a pick high enough to get Marcus Smart. I like a lot of the trade options I listed in the previous post a lot, and I think most of them are realistic, but I like Marcus Smart more (along with his cheap rookie contract).

#5) Sign a max-contract free agent. There are some nice RFA's set to hit the market, but top-tier RFA's are almost impossible to ink, and Lance Stephenson is the top UFA available (who fits).

C: A. Drummond, MLE/LLE, J. Harrellson
    PF: J. Smith, T. Mitchell, J. Jerebko
    SF: A. Wiggins/J. Parker, K. Singler, G. Datome
    SG: L. Stephenson, K. C-Pope, C. Billups
    PG: M. Smart, B. Jennings, W. Bynum

That's a nice looking squad!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. blueadams

I've seen Monroe listed as the 3rd best FA in this year's class. Behind LeBron and Melo. Ahead of Wade, Bosh, Dirk, Duncan, etc.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great insight here:

Report: Pistons will match a max-offer sheet for Greg Monroe - CBSSports.com

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Moose is the terrific bench player we need behind the Smith/Drummond frontcourt. You need scoring? Go with Smith/Moose. You need defense? Go with Smith/Drummond. Moose can spell both of the bigs at either position. Moose is not a problem. Hydra is the problem.

The ideal scenario is we keep Moose and find a major upgrade at the wing.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, I really see no evidence you read any of my posts either. Not really read them. Maybe find something to argue about. But certainly no effort seen to try to understand anything I write.

As my post stated, the oft mentioned moving Smith to power forward lacks one very important thing. A small forward to replace him. We do not have one.

So, we would have to trade Monroe for a small forward so that we would have a small forward.

And that means, we just have Drummond and Smith for bigs. And nobody at all with any talent to rest them. Unless you think each could simply play 48 minutes every game?

We need to add another big. Preferrably two. And we might have them already on the team. If Harrellson is not injured, we should be playing him to see what we have. And Tony Mitchell should be playing too, so we can see what we have. If they can't play, again, we need to add more bigs to the roster.

Now, as for other teams with 4 quality bigs. So far, from what I can see, the Pistons have five quality bigs. Harrellson, Mitchell, Smith, Monroe, and Drummond. The problem, in my opinion, is that we only are playing 3 of them.

Many teams have 4 quality bigs. Not great ones, like Smith, Drummond, or Monroe, but good enough to play, especially in cases of foul trouble. Lets take the Wiz, for example, a team I follow on an every game basis. Heck, they got a guy who often does not play, who is pretty darn good, because they are simply that deep at the bigs position. Saraphin, a guy who whooped on us in one particular game this season. Mostly these days, they start Nene and Gortat. But Booker is also pretty good and has many starts this season. They just added Gooden on top of that, and Al Harrington is playing now. At the moment, they have about 6 quality bigs on their squad, although the number varies game to game depending on who is injured.

Most of the season, Orlando had five quality bigs on the team, although its borderline I guess if you want to count JMAX, who has started a lot of game but is out of their rotation these days. Obviously, they got their starting center, Vucevic. Plus they got Nicholson and O'Quinn. They did have Big Baby too but just let him go recently. So, they are down to four, counting JMAX.

I could go on and on here, if you really want me too. But the main point, I'd take a lot of the above players, and dump guys like Singler, JJ, and CV, who have made appearances as power forwards on our team this season, to our deep regret.

Wait, I do want to mention Toronto, which has been going great guns since that trade. A big part of that is that they got two pretty darn good bigs, giving them 5 guys who have since seen a lot of time at their bigs positions. Any of these five, added to our team, would be an upgrade, by far, to what we play now beyound our 3 front line starters.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  6. blueadams

C: A. Drummond(20), MLE/LLE, J. Harrellson(25)
    PF: J. Smith(28), T. Mitchell(21), J. Jerebko(27)
    SF: A. Wiggins(18), K. Singler(25), G. Datome(26)
    SG: L. Stephenson(23), K. C-Pope(21), C. Billups(37)
    PG: M. Smart(19), B. Jennings(24), W. Bynum(31)

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not convinced we should use Wiz, Raps and Magic as models for our rebuild.

8. BillLaimbeer

If Maxiel is a quality big, then the Pistons have 7 quality bigs.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I will sometimes skip your posts for a month or two, but I have read as many of your posts as anyone. They are very repetitive. If I pay too much attention to your posts, you claim you're being singled out and ostracized, so I try not to reply to all of your posts.

Also, there is the matter of being happy and psychologically stable, and I find arguing on forums to be counter to that for me. Everyone has an opinion. Some may be better than others, but for the most part, we're all on the outside speculating on what is within.

All of that aside, I have a hard time believing that you don't know that Smith is terrible at the 3, and the big 3 lineups have been consistently horrible. Trading Monroe is a thing because of his contract status. Retaining your FOUR BIGS AGAINST THE WORLD paradigm with Monroe would necessitate spending a lot more money on what has been a losing proposition.

That and Monroe is very inconsistent, he's not a defender (atrocious on defense) and he hasn't developed a jumpshot in 4 years.

blueadams likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Drew Gooden is ok I guess but Kevin S is garbage. I think you mean 'rotation quality bigs', not just 'quality bigs'.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Kevin Seraphim is ok. He played well a year or so ago.

Washington is just garbage.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Developing jump shots is just pretty rare. If a guy mnaged to get through all levels of schooling, playgrounding, and aau without figuring it out, there is probably not much hope.

13. Kristijan Francina

Kristijan Francina First Round Draft Pick

Maybe Rondo comes to Pistons

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

14. max

max All-Star

At least Milw is no longer referenced as the way to do things as was the case earlier.

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hammond was the brains behind the championship.

linwood likes this.
  16. blueadams

Giannis love.

17. BillLaimbeer

There are support groups for this sort of thing.

blueadams likes this.
  18. del

del Team Captain Forum Donor

So my thoughts on this:

I am with everyone else on the guards, but I think we are in between a rock and a hard place. I can not see why we would keep any of them, bar KCP as a backup for the defensive end and if you can somehow convince Jennings to accept he isn't starter calibre (on a Pistons team that would be even harder). BJ would be the Bynum upgrade off the bench - both can go on scoring runs, but BJ would give you more assists and more chance of a 3 point threat. Likely that this isn't possible though so trade is the other option. We didn't overpay to get him at the start of the season, but now he has been on two teams and still stunk it up, we would need to trade him as part of a package to get anything decent in return.

Moving Monroe for a starter calibre wing is also the most obvious move. Also one of the most risky. He is very good in the (offensive) post and we would then need to hope Drummond develops this side of his game and that Smith can be convinced to work closer to the basket. Something no one has been able to do so far.

Basically, I think what will happen is this though - Monroe trade for a starter wing or 2 guard that can shoot and a few bench moves following Stuckey, CV, Siva and Billup's exit. We will still have BJ at the point though, so his progression (if any) and the hopeful upgrade of our bench moves will be what gets us back in the playoff picture.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  19. blueadams

get me one of these players or a pick high enough to get marcus smart for monroe:

westbrook, lillard, wall, rondo, derozan, k. leonard, j. holliday, rubio, lawson, deron williams

20. max

max All-Star

I think we are in for a hard lesson on how free agency works this summer with Monroe.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.