Clean-Slate. How does a new GM fix this team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 7, 2014.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Not sure I agree with that. Smith is a very good defender.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm sure that Popovich would love to have Smith on his team.
  3. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

The issue with Smith vs. Monroe (if it comes down to that) is Drummond=20, Smith=28, Monroe=22. It's going to take some time here. You don't get rid of Monroe unless it returns a really great pick or player (like K. Leonard)
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good point about age. Plus, I know you love Win Shares. If you look at the Win Shares / 48 minutes of our regulars:

1. Drummond .179
    2. Monroe .111
    3. Singler .091
    4. Jerebko .088
    5. Jennings .079
    6. KCP .058
    7. Stuckey .054
    8. Bynum .046
    9. Smith .020

This statistic estimates the number of wins a player contributes. The league average is 0.100.

Josh Smith ranks 389th in the NBA. (Trey Burke ranks 390th at .019.)

I wonder if any suckers would take Smith off our hands.
  5. blueadams

Well. Burke is 2nd in the rookie of the year standings right now.
  6. BillLaimbeer

Behind Oladipo and MCW? Has there been a weaker draft class?
  7. blueadams

Check out MCW on ur ws/48 list.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

So the 2 guys the Pistons singed this past offseason combined don't even equal the league average for shared wins?
    blueadams likes this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just realized that I have 0.7 more offensive win shares for the Pistons this year than Jerebko, Bynum, Harrellson, Mitchell, Villanueva, Billups, Datome, Siva, and Smith.... COMBINED!
  10. blueadams

So, let's start with the GM hire. The most important hire.

...It'd be nice if Tom Gores knew enough about basketball to spot the next great NBA GM, but I don't think he is ~ traditional or new-school analytics. I don't think he's got the knowledge to do it. I think we need to go after an established, top-notch GM. It seems Gores is genuine about spending what it takes to build a winner. He was outspoken about spending last summer (albeit mislead), and he seems to be serious about going after T. Izzo.. someone who'd cost about $5 mil/season.

...The avg NBA GM salary is $1.4 mil/season. The top-5 GM salaries are: (*according to reports of so-so authority) P. Jackson, P. Riley, K. O'Connor, D. Morey, S. Presti. Jackson($12mil/season) and Presti's ($3mil/season) salaries are the only ones publicly known, of that group.

...If you're asking me, this is a big deal. The top GM in the game, R.C. Buford (San Antonio) isn't even top-5 in salary. Someone making $3mil/season is top-5 in salary. Some dude who's never coached an NBA game in his life is probably going to be offered a contract in the $5mil/season range. GM's are the single most important employees in NBA organizations. GM's are grossly underpaid. It's something that a shrewd, knowledgeable owner could and should take advantage of.

-Buford in San Antonio. Duncan's about to retire. Ginobli's about to retire. Parker's getting up there in age. Splitter, Diaw, Leonard, Belinelli, Mills. Is this much of a core moving forward? I'm sure the ownership is great in SA. I'm sure the fans are great. I'm sure it's a great place to live. Etc. But a lot of what made things great there is about to be gone. Think a doubling, a tripling, hell, a quadrupling (would still be less than what P. Jackson gets) of salary would be enough to entice him? Quadrupling!? Hell. It's got to, right?

-Presti in Oklahoma City (from the Popovich/Buford/SA tree). He's not Buford. But I'd definitely be interested in him. Second/third choice.

-Pritchard in Indiana (from the Popovich/Buford/SA tree). He's not Buford either. But I'd definitely be interested in him. Second/third choice.

-Morey in Houston. The father of modern-NBA analytics. Hasn't worked out all that well thus far in Houston, and he's a clear fourth/fifth choice, but I'd at least be interested.

-Nelson in Dallas. He's been around, for a long time. He's had some success, too. He'd be a fourth/fifth choice for me.

The point is. There are talented dudes out there, Gores. It's the most important investment you'll make in the franchise. Spend the money you want to waste on Izzo right, here. Find a top head man. Support him, 100%. Have him support whoever he hires as coach, 100%. Then we've got something.
  11. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

Not sure you can simply pay any of those guys since they would have contracts in place. And what reason would any of them have to leave?

I don't know if money is their driving force unlike many players.

If you want someone who knows how to clean up a teams contract nightmare and build a great team look no further than Donnie Walsh.

For some recent history he cleaned up the mess left behind by Zeke in New York and had the team on the up and up until James Dolan demanded he get Melo and then built this current Indiana squad.

He is only employed in Indiana as a consultant at the moment so maybe you could sway him to join the Pistons.

You could do much worse than Donnie.
    Walter and BillLaimbeer like this.
  12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Guys like Jennings and Smith need a system. It's blatantly obvious. If left to their own devices and decision-making... well we've seen the results. But if installed in a functioning system I think we can see great things. Which means who we hire as the next coach precedes anything else in terms of importance.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  13. tnt1960

tnt1960 Bench Warmer

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Usually larry demands that the roster is purged of knuckleheads. That could be a problem due to the legal contracts that we have entered into.
  15. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Okay, I figured it out. What the Pistons need to do is bring in Rudy Gay. Then have Jennings, Smith, Gay, Siva, KCP, and Datome chucking up bricks, and guys like JJ, Mitchell, and Drummond grabbing the misses. That's how you create a perimeter offense without guys that can shoot and a post game without having guys that have moves. This GM stuff is easy, I don't know why you'd want to violate league policies by trying to buy another one out.
    The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  16. blueadams

I think it's relatively easy for GM's under contract to get out of their current contracts and accept more lucrative offers. I'd put the full-court press on Buford, Presti and Pritchard. One of the three will have a price. That's where you outspend your competition, Mr. Gores.

Or, conversely, you could reach out to L. Brown, J. Sloan or even G. Popovich about the GM job.
  17. blueadams

My pecking order for GM's is..

1) G. Popovich; 2) L. Brown; 3) R. Buford; 4) S. Presti; 5) K. Pritchard; 6) J. Sloan.
  18. roscoe36

One of these guys thinks he is a great GM, and the other 2 have never done the job.

I don't think expertise in one domain automatically means expertise in another. I am not sure being a great coach is the same as being a great GM.
  19. BillLaimbeer

I agree. Look at Isiah Thomas....okay, bad example.
  20. roscoe36

Zeke was a pretty good GM. With a bit of luck, he might be our next GM.