Chris Webber coming to Detroit?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by #1Pistonfan, Jan 9, 2007.

1. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Just heard a couple rumors and thought I would throw them out there...

Trade of Flip for Bonzi straight up. Also heard the Zeke was trying to get Webber (once he is released/bought out) but Cwebb called Joe first asking if a spot was available for him.

Just rumors, but I believe them and expect 'em happen within the next 2 weeks...
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Re: Bonzi Wells & Chris Webber coming to Detroit?

Interesting. Where did you hear this stuff?
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It will be interesting to see what shakes out.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That would be awesome exchanging Wells for Murray.

How would we make room for Webber though?
  5. #1Pistonfan

Well, it might sound like BS, but I work with guy that is related to someone on the Pistons staff. Although I dont speak with him directly, I do try to pick someones brain that does. They've been right before, so I tend to believe it...
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

:hurt:

I would take webber if we had a plan to trade for a backup pg
  7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Bonzi could help - not the way he's currently playing, but if he were to put up a contract year type performance. The Flip-for-Bonzi rumor's been floating around for months, but I can't imagine why JVG would possibly want Flip Murray, even he hates Bonzi Wells. He shipped Mike James out for his ball-hogging and chucking, and Flip isn't a quarter the player that James was. Bonzi is too talented for that to be the best offer Rockets management could find - even if they wanted an expiring contract.

I hope Joe shot Webber down, what with the five big men on our roster who are better and more deserving of playing time than Me-Webb will ever be again, and Amir waiting in the wings.
  8. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Anything is better than Flip Murray so I would make that trade and Flip Murray has checked out for the Pistons right now and fully expects to be traded. His body language is so terrible, so out the door he goes. Now why in the world would we want Chris Webber? Just because the Lakers want him that makes him attractive? He's got a low basketball IQ and he's slower than molasses in the middle of a hard freeze. Whose minutes would he come in and get since he can play both the forward positions? I don't want Maxiell to get less minutes and I like Dice alot better than CWebb so NO to this deal. Come on Joe you can do better than that. It looks like Earl Boykins and Anthony Johnson are going to be traded and I would take either of those 2 guys as our back-up PG even over Bonzi. Don't just make a trade for the sake of a trade. Any forum posters have the inside scoop which Piston was late to practice yesterday?

An example of Chris Webber's low basketball IQ -- calling for a timeout in a crucial championship game and you're completely out of them. I know that was a long time ago but not very bright and he's just seems not to be a "smart" basketball player.
  9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Chris Webber? He's selfish, a huge choker, and kind of a headcase, and his basketball skills have badly deteriorated with age, but I've never heard anyone deny his head for the game before.
    That's it.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think it is great that a Center was thinking "we need a timeout here" and had the initiative to call it. I would not expect him to know how many timeouts they had left unless the coach pointed it out before that sequence.

I would expect a team's PG to know that and to be the one to call it.

Webber got a little unlucky there. And the penalty for it seems a little disproportionate.

We would have too many bigs better than him though, I will agree with that.
  11. #1Pistonfan

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I think we only have 14 players on our roster now, with 15 being the max and only 13 being able to suit up for a game.
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Actually, sources like that often turn out to be the best ones. I used to be friends with somebody who was close friends with a Piston (Vinnie Johnson) and I found out all kinds of interesting stuff in advance. I also learned a couple of things that the general public never heard.
  13. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

We have one big better than him in Sheed. And Sheed is nowhere near the rebounder that Webber is. Yes it's true that Webber's a shell of his former self, which was enigmatic at best, but c'mon! -- to say that Dice and Nazr are better is stupid. Max has hardly been in the rotation and Davis and Amir aren't.

I don't think we should sign him long-term, but Webber's an automatic double-double and a guy who has been deep in the playoffs multiple times and big enough to bang Shaq a bit. I wouldn't have him taking the last shot, but it's beyond me why anyone would think that he couldn't help us for the remainder of the year.
  14. #1Pistonfan

I'm hoping we make both these moves then make a trade to acquire another first round pick. We'd probably have to give up Dyess or Nazr and DD though...
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

This happens, we are officially done.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The argument against would be that he is very inefficient (30 something percent from the field) and that his D is poor. Also, he doesn't seem to be a better rebounder than Sheed judging by this year's stats. They are about even and get about the same # of minutes.

But, as I pointed out before, his overall stats on offense ARE very Sheed-like this year. He is a good passing big man.

The only thing I like is that he actually wants to come back to the D.

I just hope we keep Dale Davis unless we decide to rebuild.
  17. #1Pistonfan

For the season? Are you saying we cant win without Flip? Or Bonzi and Webber will kill our team chemistry?
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

No, for the immidiate future of this ballclub...I'm talking years.

Second, saying we can't win without Flip is akin to saying you can't live without gout.

Lastly, Yes and Yes. Not only will our chemistry die, but our propensity for wins along with it.
  19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

On the several boards I watch and sometimes add my two cents worth, one of the popular things is to want players we do not have and get rid of players we do have.

It just seems to me that when the management gets the combination of players they want and begin the process of forming them into the unit they want, it is less desireable to keep changing. Different rotations and roles for the players already here seems to make more sense, at least to me. Of course, if the coach continues to use the same rotations and the same roles for the players, etc, and expecting different results, that is counterproductive.

In addition to the players already knowing each other and their procivities, you have the feeling of the players left that they, too, could be expendable and it does not contribute to a team that is cohesive.

Between seasons seems to be the time to correct the roster instead of during the season.
  20. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Webber has always been a double-digit rebounder, Sheed has never been one. Good luck finding a convincing argument otherwise.