Chicago Feb 25th 1pm

Discussion in 'February 2007' started by max, Feb 19, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

I am sure Ben is probably hoping that the Pistons were sub .500 this season without him. But don't expect to read any quotes with him sticking his foot in his mouth or folding under the pressure like Darko did. Ben lives for this kind of pressure. Its going to be a battle but the Pistons are the better team and will win as long as they match the Bulls seriousness.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I can`t argue with that assessment my friend........
  3. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

I hope Ben gets long stand ovation, and i hope he plays an excellent game. getting tons of boards and block shot and makes all his free throughs while the Pistons still win the game. Is this too much to ask? :P
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I am all for the standing O to start the game for Ben. After that, he is the enemy. Ok, I will admit, I like to see Darko do well when he plays us, so I will give you an ok to cheer for Ben during the game.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:thumb: :MusicBigGrin:
  6. roscoe36

HEY!

Remember everyone, this is a 1:00 PM EST tip, on ABC (national)!
  7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

333333333333333!!
    believe it or not, i took the day off for this.....
    THIS...IS SPECIAL!
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I'm still a fan of Ben and all, but I would be ecstatic if we blew them out by 30 and Ben put up a weak game. He needs to know what he's missing out on.
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Chat is open....sorry 'scoe...couldn't wait.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some sloppy defensive play so far from the Pistons.

The Pistons left Duhon (I think it was him) WIDE open for TWO 3pt attempts ON THE SAME POSSESSION!

They've given up too many easy baskets from being out of positions.

And Dice didn't box out on Wallace's 2nd FT attempt, giving up an easy put back.

I do like the full court press though...
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Great games: Rip Hamilton, Chris Webber (got away with a shove for the first game-winner of his life, but otherwise excellent), Jason Maxiell
    Good games: Tayshaun Prince, Chauncey Billups (both phenomenal on offense but not much on defense or defensive rebounding), Flip Saunders
    Bad games: Lindsey Hunter, Antonio McDyess, Rasheed Wallace
    Not-an-NBA-player game: Carlos Delfino

Defense was not good; luckily Chicago's offense was worse. Rebounding decent (led by Webber and Maxiell with Prince taking advantage of Chicago's point guards on the offensive glass).
  12. max

max All-Star

Chicago can't miss a shot in the 1st half, Pistons do not have Sheed for 3 quarters and they win anyway on the Pistons 21st offensive board of the game as Webber stuffed it back in for the win.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice comeback by the Pistons after being down by 16 midway through the 3rd. Of course they almost blew a 7 point lead with 1:51 left as Ben Gordon almost singlehandily won the game for the Bulls hitting their last 5 pts to bring the Bulls back to tie and then was left open to hit the possible game winning 3 pointer.

Credit the bench play of Dice, JMax, Delfino and oh yeah Hunter to close out the 3rd that got the Pistons back in the game. The Bulls shot a blistering 57.5% form ther floor in the first half and continued that assault to open the 3rd before the Pistons finall woke up with some nice shooting and decent defense on the Bulls scrubs. (Those same scrubs were outplaying our guys in the second qtr. ) We almost made an alstar out of the rookie T Thomas as Big Ben had all of the bulls playing with a lot of energy. Good thing Gordon only played 25 mins due to foul trouble:)

We only got 17 from the bench, but the energy of the Brahma in that 3rd was enough to get everybody else going. It may have been our unfortunate luck that Sheed got injured and Max was in....

Bottomline the Pistons overcame some bad shooting to squeeze out victory and now Flip can win his coach of the month award and the team has four days off to get ready for a rough March schedule.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good win. Chicago played mighty tough D inside with both PJ Brown and Ben Wallace swatting a lot of shots. Still, Webber just knows how to calmy, patiently, get the score inside. And his putback with 2 seconds left won the game.

Jason Maxiell fans, be proud, cause JMAX sure did well in this one. We were down about 14 when JMAX came into the game and we were up when he left the game about a quarter of basketball later. Sheed had twisted an ankle in the first half, and only came back in for defensive purposes very late after coming out early in the 3rd quarter. JMAX made us not miss Sheed in the least bit, grabbing the boards, and being there time and time again on help out D. Managed to get a few points for us too.

Delfino played short minutes, due to foul trouble, but he came up with a triple in that run to get us back into the game.

Tay had another spectacular block, not a whole lot more, as he is still bothered by that ankle sprain he suffered 4 games ago. He did have a huge hoop in crunch time posting up though.

Sheed had a pretty forgettable game. Slow start. Although he was trying to go inside, there was just nothing there. When there was, oh well, we all know how Ben gets into your head. You think, where is Ben, when you should be concentrating on putting the shot in.

Tay missed those two free throws that would have put us up 4 with time about out. Darn. But we still won.

Dyess did very little, but he did hit a crunch time jumper. Going inside was something Dyess was not up to vs. Chicago's interior D.

Hunter hit one jumper each half, and did little as a point guard. He did function as a needed backup to Rip since Delfino had the foul trouble. And he was in the game as we tied it back up.

Rip is just awesome. Just keeps hitting the shots. Big game. Big shots, all of them, and a whole bunch went in as usual. CB had an ok game on O, but on D, at least the first half, far too many shots went unchallenged on the perimeter. Chicago is one team CB can't make a living on from driving the lane.

You do have to wonder why we left Dyess in after we got up 7 late in the game. Ditto for Webber. Seems the Dale Davis and Jason Maxiell combo would be the thing. But hey, we got the win, and youth, Jason Maxiell, was developed further. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  15. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

This is what Maxiell needs to bring. The rebounding and defensive intimidation. The dunks are just icing on the cake.
  16. roscoe36

Pistons are lucky to win shooting less than 40% and giving up 48% to the other team.
  17. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I know it`s difficult to get into a rythym without consistent PT, however, J-Max gives it his all everytime he comes into the game. Yes, he only saw PT today because of Sheed`s injury, however, if we need him in another game or perhaps, in the playoffs we can be certain his head will be in the game!

IMO, that`s very encouraging.
  18. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hell Ben was pumped up tonight- as soon as I saw him wearing the Fro it was clear he wanted to win this one. He did ok and it was hard to see that he got fouled a couple of time. Usually, there should be no need to foul a player like Ben to keep him off scoring.
    Block party tonight. 9 blocks for each team.
    Maxiell had a decent night, alot of hustle, especially on the boards. On the bad side, you can still see his positioning is poor, on offense and defense as well.
    RIP was awesome at times, making Jordanesque- shots. You could see he was kind of sad that his dunk got blocked since it doesn't happen too often that he gets to dunk.
    Webber could tell Maxiell alot about positioning. He makes up his poor leaping ability by standing right most times for rebounds and open looks.
    And his right arm is simply huge, he should have a chance against Ben at armwrestling :)
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

I missed the game and forgot to set my DVR. How was Ben greeted at the Palace? I'm sure there was some booing, but I hope most fans greeted him well.
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sprocket says…

A few years ago a tough Central Division matchup might have ended 85-83, but times have changed. Defenses are more limited now and scoring is up. Nonetheless, this 95-93 Pistons win over the Chicago Bulls was no less hard-nosed, no less tough, and no less intense. The new man in the middle for the Pistons, Chris Webber, is the only Piston to shoot over 50% (with nine boards and three steals), and the man who grabs Prince’s miss with less than three seconds left and hits the game winner.

The first quarter begins badly for the Pistons when Rasheed Wallace comes down on P.J. Brown’s foot about three minutes in. Sheed stays in the game but is limited and leaves for good a couple of minutes into the third quarter after shooting two for eleven. The Pistons put together an eight to nothing run in the first to come back from a five point deficit. The run is spurred by a series of Chicago turnovers (five in the first half of the first quarter), including two in a row forced by a pressing Pistons defense. Delfino makes an appearance late in the quarter and proceeds to pick up a foul a minute over the break and into the second. The first ends with the Pistons down two 27-25.

The second quarter is a similar seesaw affair through the first eight minutes until the Bulls begin to pull away. They end the quarter on a thirteen to one run for an eight point lead, 53-45. The Pistons manage only six points in the paint in the first half despite many close in shots. It’s simply too much Ben Wallace, who looks like the Ben of old enforcing the no-fly zone at the Palace. The Bulls block seven or eight Pistons shots in the first half and Big Ben alters many, many more. Adding to Sheed’s two for ten half is Rip’s two for seven one. Three Chicago illegal defenses and a tech, drawing four Billups free throws helps to keep the Pistons close.

(Aside – is there something about the Pistons offense that exposes three seconds in the lane? They seem to benefit from many three second calls.)

The first four minutes of the second half is all Bulls. From the last few minutes of the second quarter through the beginning of the third they outscore the Pistons twenty-three to three, while Detroit shoots one for seventeen from the field. The remainder of the third quarter though is much better for the Pistons as they outscore the Bulls by fourteen. This time it’s way too much Hamilton on the offensive end and way too much hustle and tough inside play from Jason Maxiell, and way too much 3-2 zone with Prince at the top. The Bulls fail to score in the last 4:10 of the third quarter while the Pistons put together a dozen points to pull within two at the break. Prince breaks out of his slump late in the third and also begins to play well on both ends of the court.

Near the end of the third JMax draws a charge on Ben Wallace leading to a Wallace technical. Ben’s first half emotional high seemed to dissipate in the third, perhaps the heckling from the crowd began to get to him, who knows? But, with Ben out of the game for the first four minutes of the fourth, a different ballgame unfolds.

Everyone who plays for the Pistons in the fourth contributes and Rip plays very hard. Delfino hits a timely three and over the first half of the period the Pistons claw back to take their first lead since the early moments of the game. With the Pistons up five around the two minute mark Ben Gordon hits a three for the Bulls to turn up the intensity one more notch. On the ensuing play, Billups triggers the inbounds pass (for the first time I can remember ever), gets the ball back and drives, missing a tough shot. But, Prince grabs the offensive board and gets fouled. With a chance to put the game out of reach Prince misses both free throws.

The next possession sees both Wallaces on the bench. Gordon is fouled by Hunter on a drive to the basket and makes both free throws. With fifteen seconds left and a tie game the Pistons bring the ball the length of the floor and Billups takes a jumper from just below the left elbow. His miss is rebounded by Webber who puts the ball in for the final margin. Gordon’s last second three bounces high off the rim to end the game.

The influence of Ben Wallace is clearly seen in the boxscore as the Pistons shoot 36% from two, but 50% (seven for fourteen) from three. No one seems willing all game to challenge Ben. Rather than taking it at him and risking the blocks they alter their shots and miss most of them. But, they do outscore the Bulls by four from the line, and win the game on the offensive boards, grabbing twenty-one. The Pistons have twelve steals to Chicago’s five, and match the Bulls in blocks at nine (eight of the Bulls nine blocks coming in the first half). Six fewer Pistons turnovers completes the stat line.