Home Chicago Bulls Wednesday Jan 4 2012

Discussion in 'January 2012' started by roscoe36, Jan 3, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Jan 4, 2012.
  1. Detroit

71.4%
  2. Chicago

28.6%
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought it was cool that the Bulls have adapted their offense so that they run Rip around a bunch of screens like the Pistons used to do.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum and Jerebko were somewhat effective as a hustle duo out there. But leaving Boozer wide open on the baseline for 5 possessions in a row got tiresome.

It's strange how Monroe gets his numbers. He can't jump and he really has 2 post moves (weak hook and lean in jump shot). They are both pretty unreliable, but he somehow gets his points and rebounds in more of a garbage man role. He did have one smooth pass to Jerebko that gave us a glimpse of his true potential.

Overall, I'd brush this one off. It was against a team that is a favorite to win it all this year.

Watching the local Chicago feed was somewhat amusing. Can't stand their attitude. But they did say something notable... paraphrased... the Bulls have been seeing sellouts in every arena so far this year because they are a big draw on the road, but the Palace was incredibly empty. How could this be?

We die hards can find some level of interest in this team and long term rebuilding effort, but the average fan has to be very reluctant to plunk down a wad of cash and waste a night driving to Auburn Hills to watch Tayshaun Prince pump fake the clock away.
  3. max

max All-Star

Not going to win them all, esp against the better teams.

I have really enjoyed the past 3 games. Effort is there and defense is back. Some players were complaining that the effort was not what it should have been but it looked like they just ran into a better team. Plus teams like the Bulls are coming back pretty much intact from last season and that's still a big plus.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  4. max

max All-Star

Lot of apathy has set in the past 2 years plus the lockout. I read somewhere that they will not be giving away seats just to fill the arena like they did last year which was never fair to people that actually paid full price.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Only saw a portion of the 3rd quarter but liked the effort. Wilkins was in and it was a bit frustrating to watch. Bynum was great in that situation because it was really 3 on 5 on offense so what you gonna run? Aside from the 3rd quarter vs. boston, I like the effort. We're getting after it. We just don't have a ho' lotta talent.
    basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also not fair to people who pay for good seats if others creep down toward the floor. This season has to bree brutal financially.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This was certainly no total mismatch. We lost, but we fought hard often. Stuckey going out with a groin injury (which I hope is minor) did not help. And bringing CV into this one, really really did not help.

Bynum got to play. Pretty bad at first, which we can excuse him for since this is the first time he played real minutes this year. Later he got to the hoop some.

Yes, Chicago does have some talent. Boozer keeps nailing his outside shots for instance, but yes we could have covered him a bit better at least.

No, I can't see Wilkins as a better player than Daye. Wilkens did hit a few shots tonight though.

Gordon was covered very well by Chicago's defense, which our announcers were saying was the best in the league. Give me Daye for those minutes, see if they can cover him. I'd bet Daye, with his height, could have gotten shots made.

I still see no point in starting JJ along side Monroe. Two weak bigs to start? And Tay adds no strength to that starting front line.

So far, nothing I have seen changes my mind on much:

Starters: Knight, Daye, JJ, JMAX, Monroe

2nd unit: Stuckey, (Knight or Daye with 2nd unit), Tay, Wallace, Macklin

10th, 11th, 12th guys: Bynum, Gordon, Wilkens

Street clothes: CV
  8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Didn't get to watch this live, though I was able to keep away from the box score enough to not be spoiled when watching the replay. Should've checked that box score! *groan*

This game was lost in the first quarter when literally no one could hit a shot. Will Bynum provided a nice spark on offense at first, but of course he just has to get his before anything else, and for every point he makes he gives it right back on D. It's just awful matador "defense".

BG looked like he was forcing it a lot, and he was ice cold from the get go. Can't fault his effort on D, he was just overmatched tonight.

Brandon was decent, his shot just hasn't been there since the Cleveland game. Got to give him credit for effort, and if he and BG could've gotten going it might have at least kept the Pistons in it.

Monroe along with JJ were the bright spots in this game. Greg with another quiet double double and great effort. Also cold early, but got himself going a little bit in the second half. JJ with great hustle as usual, contributing a bit on the scoring, just not enough because the guards were off. Credit where due though, Chicago's defense was superb.

Lots of more defensive breakdowns at the end, though the only thing it did was widen the loss margin. Would've lost anyway though, just ran into a much better, much more cohesive team.
    Damien Wilkins was pretty solid. Daye could learn a thing or two.

CV cameo. Still terrible defense. Looked absolutely clueless. Amnesty candidate 1a and 1b.

Big Ben making jumpers? Did 'Sheed switch with him or something? On second thought, nah, Sheed would've been hanging around the three point line all night. Could've used some of that scoring punch though.

Maxiell used up his one good game a month quota against Orlando. Not terrible though his late game defense had poor Lawrence Frank out there screaming like a banshee. See ya next month, Maxie!

How many corner J's did they give up? Taj Gibson and Boozer were hitting that shot all night. Noah too.

This game will go in the loss column, but the effort was solid. If the Pistons continue to play with as much effort I don't mind them losing. Just means they're buying in to what Frank is teaching and aren't giving up. Just what I like to see.

What's up with all the groin pulls?
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons best player this year has been opponents fatigue.

Derrick Rose is a circus! He had me yelling out "Wow!" quite a few times.

I think Damien Wilkins might be my favorite Piston player.

I think Noah might be my favorite player in the entire league.

CCG is my least favorite player. I might go slam my hand in the door when he checks in the game instead.

I never once thought the Pistons would be better off with Stuckey in the game in the 2nd half. I was secretly hoping that he refused to re-enter the game when they were speculating why he wasn't starting the 2nd half.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Greg Monroe and Jonas are good players. But it's going to take a year or 2 before they know how to be good in all 82 games while making winning plays at the right time. Ben Gordon was OFF! We need a star that Gordon, Monroe and JJ can play off of. Seriously think about this, if we traded Tayshaun for Kevin Durant , we'd be a really good up and coming young team; if we traded Knight for Rose, we'd be better than the Bulls. Lot of good players on this team..........need a GREAT one!
  11. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons were leaving a lot of guys wide open for easy shots. Sometimes, guys get beat on penetration, others help, and a kickout is made for an easy jumper. Other times, the Pistons try to trap/double-team. This is not working. Almost every time, the opponent gets an easy shot. This simply doesn't work at the NBA level.
  12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pretty much says it all. Miss the open shots and this team has no chance. They played decent defense in stretches (and really badly in others), but Rose is, well, really, really good. He's got more gears than Shimano.
  13. max

max All-Star

That article was in the Detroit News yesterday. Talked about how they want to bring the fans back by working on value and quality.
    Personally I found the previous practice of giving away seats to fill the stadium as a real disincentive and I am sure others felt the same way.
    The previous regime did a lot of things not in the best interest of the average fans, partly why I was not too broken up about Gores replacing a lot
    of the Palace staff with his own. Already I can see some improvements based on the 1 game I went to so far like more general parking spaces.
  14. max

max All-Star

Long term I agree Daye is better but Wilkins came into pre-season ready and Daye did not.

Wilkins kind of reminds me of Curry in a way.
  15. BillLaimbeer

I was thinking the same thing. Wilkins has more offensive skills, though.
  16. max

max All-Star

Yes but can he bring the intangibles.
  17. BillLaimbeer

You mean like becoming the president of the players union?
  18. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Our future and the future of the team will rely on Monroe, JJ and Knight. Thats it. Noone else here is really gonna be a factor unless they are used in a trade to get another important piece of the puzzle. Ben Gordon I know is a player some jn the board like, but I cant stand him. He is either on or off...thats it, and he is on maybe 5% of the time...which is not worth it to me. He is only gonna be good for his shot and showed just enough of a flash of penetrating and dishing to make people think he was the answer, then he proceeds to turn the ball over 4 straight times and allow his man to score layup drills and is never back when he is supposed to be our high man in rotation yet his man is always down the court first. He is what he is, a vinnie johnson style bench player. Bring him in and give him the green light. then take him out if his shot isnt there. Because if his shot isnt on? hes useless. I would much rather see a Monroe, JJ daye BK Broiler and stuckey starting unit
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm surprised that watching this team....with less talent and more effort...is enjoyable, even when they are overmatched.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I kinda like Frank so far.
    ...at least I like the fact that he seems to be able to get these guys to bring more effort than our last three coaches.