Away Chicago Bulls Saturday, December 07, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think this is an area where Cheecks isn't getting the credit he deserves. He's made good decisions in the outskirts of his rotations.

2. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well it didn't happen in the first quarter, because Taj Gibson made Smith look like Singler out there defensively. Just terrible.

I agree about Monroe and him needing to either dunk, or just go up stronger. At multiple points last night I'm in a sea of Bulls fans screaming "GO UP STRONG GREG" or "DUNK THE BALL!". Frustrating.

I don't like that they went to Drummond right off the tip. I think he's a rhythm player, and there was none of that there. Set up a pick an roll with Moose, or work KCP off some screens and let Dre crash the glass, or work his butt off to get some offensive boards, then when he's feeling relaxed, feed him the ball. His offensive game is way to raw as of now to make him the focal point of our offense...

Really fun game. I live in Michigan. I'm 11 hours away from the Palace. I'm 8 hours way from the United Center. So this game made much more sense. I might have to make this happen more often. This young dude in front of me was haggling Charlie the whole fourth quarter "48 mil on the bench"...blah blah. And Charlie was responding to him. So after the game the kid went over to the tunnel and got BoT's headband. I thought it was hilarious. With Harrellson playing very well, Charlie V will never touch the floor again.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Check the 3rd Q!

4. hitafreethrow

Third Quarter Smith played alot better defensively, but I think that had more to do with the fact the Bulls are just anemic on offense with no Deng or Rose...I mean that Snell rookie can't handle the ball at all, and has no court awareness at all. The Bull's missed a bunch of shots that should have gone in, and it wasn't because the Pistons were playing lock down defense, IMO. Bull's just came out flat, with no go to guy on the court or on the bench.

Had Mike James not been sent down to the D league, he could have come in and made a difference. :biggrin:

Lee356 likes this.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Please don't discount the value of last nights win because of the Bulls injury situation. Last night while watching the game I noticed that the Pistons took a step forward during the game, they made a mental adjustment. The Bulls were being the Bulls, pushing us around, winning the toughness battle, getting all the 50/50 balls etc etc and all we were doing was complaining to the refs who weren't giving us a favorable whistle at all.....but then all of a sudden we stopped complaining and started fighting back and the team began to make life just as difficult for them as it was for us......that didn't happen at the Palace.......and Josh Smith played a roll in that development last night, it was really cool to see!

Lee356 likes this.
  6. hitafreethrow

For a couple youngs in Monroe and Dre, they really are calm and collected (for the most part). They do whine a bit sometime, but overall, they stay composed and push thru things like last night. There were many moments when Boozer and Noah were playing really really dirty, and our young bigs pushed back. Good to see.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Drummond? Super cool! Moose? Not so much, I think he complains more than Sheed did.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In person, I'm always struck by how less intense the game seems. The way that the players pace themselves is always more obvious.

Also, watched drummond in shoot around. If you ever hear he shoots 70 percent fts in practice, you're being lied to. Brick city. He also spent a fair amount of time airballing three pointers.

The loss of offensive threat with jennings on the bench was also really obvious. Siva just doesn't have offensive confidence. I think he's playing scared (of the coach).

Singler looked like a coach's son type player out there.

Lee356 likes this.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, he has done some good stuff. Like keeping a few players at least minimally involved. Is CV done playing for us? If so, good for the coach for recognizing CV plays no D. But coach still has a long way to go before he optimizes what he has off that bench. Mitchell still is not in the rotation. Siva seldom helps us any, simply because he is brought in with another point guard already on the floor for the most part. In this game, with Stuckey out for the 2nd half, Siva actually did some good. He rested Jennings for a few minutes.

Jorts has often played to no advantage for the team, as part of a really bad bench unit. But twice just recently, Jorts has been used well, as a direct sub for Drummond, in our starting unit.

Singler simply has not place on the team, in my opinion, and yet this coach continues to look to Singler as his best bench player.

JJ still has not gotten a real shot at playing backup small forward for us. But he has played. Not a lot, but enough to feel part of things. A simple adjustment, using Harrellson as the backup for Monroe and Drummond, while JJ backs up Smith, would go a long ways toward making this team better. (while playing Mitchell more would really, really help a whole lot more.)

The only place Singler could play just a bit - at shooting guard to back up Pope. Singler is too slow to play defense as a shooting guard, but he can help a bit more on offense as a shooting guard. (since he can post up smaller guards) At least there is a tradeoff there that works on occasion.

Stuckey has a good use for us, as a backup point. I do not believe we should ever use him as a shooting guard. Just play a 30 / 18 split between Jennings and Stuckey for minutes, at point, and call that good enough for getting Stuckey minutes.

Play Pope 40 minutes every game, to minimize the need for a backup shooting guard, since we do not have one on the roster at this point. The other 8 minutes - I'd put Smith there. Forget Smith playing power forward. Go big, with him playing shooting guard, and Jorts and Mitchell coming in off the bench to go with that - while Drummond or Monroe also sticks around for the 2nd unit. I think I will do a rotation from this over in the rotations thread. See you there.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Stuckey has been playing at 6th man of the year levels as a shooting guard, and we have years of failure at PG with Stuckey.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not exactly true. Stuckey has been playing the point too, to an extent, and does a lot better their for us vs. as a shooting guard. Its not even close. So to be a better team, we should only use Stuckey at point. And have someone who can actually nail an outside shot consistently as the backup shooting guard. PS, this will also help our defense by not having Stuckey in more than really needed. Sure, go point out that Stuckey is shooting well from outside so far. Then tell me you actually trust him to knock down 3's today vs. Miami? I do not.

12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I trust Stuckey to knock down shots a lot more than him running the team.