1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away Chicago Bulls Friday March 30 2012

Discussion in 'March 2012' started by roscoe36, Mar 26, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2012.
  1. Detroit

45.5%
  2. Chicago

54.5%
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Coach just doesn't know how to properly use him.

Nemo likes this.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This was a good game. Good effort. We put up a fight but we couldn't sustain the pressure and didn't have anyone to get us over the hump. Chicago came up with all the hustle plays down the stretch. Monroe doesn't look fatigued as much as worn out. We need Daye was pretty good. Got backed down when he switched and then blocked the shot. For the most part there were few mistakes and those he made, Prince made the exact same ones. He just needs the switch to go off in his head. Maybe Stckey can help.

3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Daye just needs confidence, he needs to stop looking over his shoulder every time he makes a mistake. When he is just playing relaxed he really shows the P word. When he forces and gets flustered he shows his immaturity and inexperience. I think the best thing that could happen is for Frank to stick with him as long as he keeps up the defensive hustle, we all know he is one of the best shooters on the team and his confidence will bring back that shot. If and its a big IF he can get his confience back and trust his coach he will be a part of the team going forward and I can see him being a better version of Tay.

4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Well, put this down as a loss. Pistons hung in there, just couldn't get over the hump as no one could buy a bucket outside of Brandon in the last few minutes of the game - and when he couldn't hit shots, it was game over. Not to mention the fact that when the Bulls missed, they got the boards and scored on second chances instead.

Brandon played more as a scorer today, as evidenced by his 1 assist. His shots were mostly in the flow of the offense though, and his percentages aren't bad, right around 45-47% considering the number of jumpers he took (includes a half court heave at the end of the half). I kept saying "don't shoo- oh, good shot Brandon" when he'd pull up in transition. I guess it's a difficult thing to try to balance as a PG, especially when the team is missing two of its top 5 scorers. Didn't help that the Bulls' interior defense basically forced people into jumpers and no one could hit any save for him, Tay and Daye (who was in foul trouble half the time). His ast/to ratio was bad though (1 assist, 3 TOs).

Tayshaun was...well, his decision making was as slow as ever, never more obviously than in the final few minutes of the fourth. At one point, in transition, he had Greg in front and Brandon to his left, 3 on 1, and he took forever to decide to pass to Brandon in the corner and ended up having that pass picked off by Kyle Korver who was LATE coming back. He also played some point, likely to facilitate Brandon's scoring as he was hot at the time. He did a decent job of it in the first quarter. He had a team high 6 assists though.

Greg was better. He still wasn't finishing well enough for how close he was to the basket on half his tries, but he also ended up settling for jumpers at the end, even with a wide open driving lane. He was still quite efficient, but he missed some bunnies. I suppose it's a credit to Greg and the improvement he's made that a nice 14/10/5 is only a solid night for him. He made some really nice passes though and probably should've gotten more FTs and FGAs.

Max was ok. He couldn't really keep up with Chi's taller, longer bigs inside and ended up fouling a lot.

After Daye fails at taking a charge: "You need to hit the weight room Mr. Daye." Should've been there 2 years ago. He played fairly horribly in the first half, better in the second half, but the last two possessions for the Pistons were turnovers courtesy of him. The first, after getting trapped, he simply stepped out of bounds. Didn't even look like he thought about calling timeout. Like a deer in headlights. smh. Next time down, he gets trapped again, this time he threw it right to a white jersey. Game over. :censored: He did shoot well, but for every point he scored, he gave it back on the other end. I wouldn't say it was a lack of effort, but he just ended up reaching in when he got beat (which was often). If he keeps playing, maybe he'll build more confidence, but he's got such a fragile psyche I'm not sure he'll be able to get there. The end of today's game won't help either. Stuck and BG are out for the foreseeable future though, so he's got a chance to prove himself.

After Asik swats Bynum's shot: "He's stocky, but still little." He's also selfish. I spent a lot of this game face palming whenever I saw Bynum go 1 on 4 and got his shot swatted. I don't think I'll be able to say anything good about him for this game, so I'll stop there.

JJ was ok. Didn't shoot well, only 1 for 9, but he did grab 6 boards.

Wilkins - I've ragged on him some, and his shot wasn't falling today, but his defense was ok. What I liked though was that at one point in the fourth after Brandon had made a nice play and subsequently got caught in the air and called for the foul (we all know the type) after the Bulls got the ball back, Brandon was frustrated and mad at himself, and Wilkins pulled him aside and talked to him, calmed him down. I liked that. That's what a veteran should do.

Big Ben was solid, but his and the rest of the Pistons' big men not named Monroe's lack of size really, really hurt them.

An expected loss, but ended up much more competitive than expected, especially playing without the Rodney and BG. I really like the fight this team has showed; they really play hard. Frank's done a good job, and hopefully with another piece or two added to the puzzle, they can be more competitive next season.

jzchen, basketbills and brofmfa like this.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bulls are just solid on D. Lots of forced shots by us out of necessity. Bynum's biggest attribute is getting to the rim, but Chicago had that cut off 3 different ways- so he had nothing.

Daye was pretty heads up tonight. He took a lot of tough shots when we had not other options. Played OK on D with the steals and blocks. 2 rebounds is a little weak.

Monroe just looks frustrated by every call. Still, a double double with 5 assists and no turnovers against a premier defense is solid.

I thought the real killer tonight was Chicago's offensive rebounding- especially by Noah (8). Chicago missed 43 shots and got 20 of them right back (46.5%!!!). They were almost as likely to snag a board as we were on that end of the court. This, among other things, also led to a huge FT disperity (21 to 7 in favor of Chicago with 15 coming from non guards). Detroit got 16 offensive boards on 53 misses (30.1%).

We also got blocked a ton (Monroe 3 times, Bynum 3, Tay, Knight, Jerebko, and Wilkins each once). That means that about 20% of our missed FG's didn't hit the rim. I remember about 5 more shots that were air balls on top of that. You just gotta respect their defense and depth.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was a game effort by the Pistons. No complaints. (Well some.)

Kyle Korver looked like a pit bull guarding Daye. He was covered the rest of the game by Ronnie Brewer. You can say it's things like confidence and immaturity, but more likely it is just that he is an end of the rotation player who might knock down some shots from time to time.

Why can NBA players get their sneakers back on in .05 seconds while they hop up the court if it falls off? I feel like it takes me 10 minutes to get my hoop shoes on with all the time it takes to undo the laces etc.

Stacey King is a pretty poor announcer. He was acting like the Pistons have one of the greatest collections of young talent ever assembled and B Knight will be going to the Hall of Fame by the time he's done playing.

I love Noah. He is a great rebounder. Going on TaS' stats he didn't have many defensive boards, but those are the ones I remember. I would love it if Monroe could hit the D glass like that.

I thought the article our own BillLaimbeer posted was him pontificating on Austin Daye. I was taken aback by how in depth he was going on the subject.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I missed this one....went to the Staples Center last night to see the Clippers and Blazers..( Did anybody see me hit the winning shot with 5 seconds left :whoo: .) .and forgot set the DVR, or even look at it on my Smart phone to check in on the Pistons.

Sounds like that defense that we could have had if Joe had stolen Thibodeau from the Celtics instead going with Kuester in 2009, took out the Pistons without Rose playing. The coaching Mr. T may be enough to over come three amigos on Miami.

Speaking Staples center...that darn Kobie missed his first 15 shots through the end of three quarters this afternoon, playing the Hornets and then hit the game winning three pointer with 20 seconds left in the game....dude was 3 for 21 shooting and finished with 11 points hitting the three, two other buckets and four free throws. The hornets led the entire 4th until Kobie connected....how lucky can a player/team be?