Chicago Bulls Dec. 23rd, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

8th. Note, with Stuck on the floor, they put a 20-2 run on us. Afflalo came in and restored order. Without Afflalo, we lose this one. Without Stuckey? Someone else does the scoring.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

LOL..................I was watching and eating. Too exhausted to chat and watch. And yeah, Stuckey is the real deal. I want to see him do that against an elite team and I believe he can.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Nice scrimmage tonight. I said it once I'll say again, the entire team (especially Rip and AI) need to commit to the team and be willing to sacrifice. This team has some decent talent that is diverse and versatile, guys need to check their ego's. Sometimes we are a better team with AI not in the game, as well as Rip on the bench too, sometimes.....
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The Rodney Stuckey show. Or was it really? Other players did a lot too.

Like when we gave Chicago a 20-2 run, Afflalo and Maxiell came in and we were back up ten again. (The lead went from 19 down to 1, almost all while we played small ball - starting with the last 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter.)

How about Dyess? He played inside, came away with a double double. Just as importantly, he contributed to Chicago getting into foul trouble, which makes it easier for everyone to score. Note, his outside jumpers, which he only made one of, hurt us in this game. Thats because the misses trigger fast breaks for the other team. Good game by Dyess on that score at least.

Sheed played some inside again. He got the whole 2nd quarter off too, a very good thing. He ended up with 30 minutes for the game, not too bad at all.

Rip made some shots here and there. Got inside a little to help the cause.

AI only made 5 free throws in this one, and thats it. But he still helped by drawing those fouls. It was a team effort, and a good one, in that respect tonight. I think that is pretty much the first time this year I can say that.

Tay was flirting with a triple double. He continues to be totally leg dead. Can't even sniff a make on an outside shot. But he dished the assists, scored inside, drew fouls, and rebounded well. Quite a game for him.

Afflalo made a couple of triples, and made them work real hard to get shots on the perimeter. 30 minutes for him, I think that is a season high. He played from mid-3rd quarter on after AI went down from injury. I believe they said it was a left side groin pull, suffered when he got tripped down. At first they said he might come back, but apparently it had tightened up on him so he never did return to the game.

Oh, and Stuckey. Can't forget about him. Probably ever. 40 points. It seemed almost an exact 50 /50 mix of jumpers and drives. With a few free throws at the end to ice the game. One fairly spectacular drive tonight, with him switching hands to finish. His jumpers were often off the dribble, pull up variety. Man, the guy has some serious talent.

Small ball. Yes, we got a lead playing small. But Chicago adjusted, and when they did, well, Chicago put up a 20-2 run to make it a one point game. What more can I say. However, Stuckey starting, getting all those minutes - I think 42 tonight, is exactly what he needs to learn the game. If AI goes out for any time, I would like to see Afflalo start in his place. (Of course, better yet, have Amir start.) But anyway, if Afflalo started, we would at least have a legit small forward in on defense to start games. Rip would be guarding shooting guards, and Stuckey the point guard.

Considering how Maxiell just pushed everyone around tonight, I can't see why he was not used in the Atlanta game. Please, everyone, pay attention to what makes us win. This includes large doses of Jason Maxiell.

We only played an 8 man rotation tonight, with JMAX, Dyess, and Afflalo the only subs. Dyess and Afflalo played heavy minutes, Dyess about 17 if I recall from peaking at the boxscore earlier. Tay is the one guy I am most worried about. He needs some rest. Curry has got to realize this, or soon, Tay will have to take weeks to recover.

Well, I guess since this is the last game before Christmas, we will call this effort tonight by Stuckey our Christmas present. Merry Christmas everyone.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It sort of looked like that in the 4th quarter. Stuckey and Rip play off each other really well. And the defense doesn't suffer as much at guard b/c Arron is in when one of them is not or in with them when we're playing SB (which i still despise; I'm not even going to get into Amir's lack of PT against Noah/TT). AI would make a great 6th man.

Stuckey has all the tools to be a good defensive guard. All he needs is a little more discipline. He was great tonight in stretches, but awful in others. And on offense, he was a beast; took it to every single one of the Bull's guards.

We got away with Sheed/Tay up front tonight b/c of CHI's line-up that allowed Tay to rebound. Sheed was his great defensive self as usual, and i'm so happy we finally have started to play through him in the post. It opens so much up. He could take a shot 1 time out of 4 times it's passed in there, and it's still so beneficial. if we're going to insist on being small, we could at least incorporate that into the offense.

Good game against a not so good team, but hey they beat the Jazz when we couldn't. MC's still got to got to learn how to balance the line-ups with knowing when to go big and small. It's getting irritating to get a big lead and give it all back when the opposing team adjusts to it.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stuckey +10
    Afflalo +3
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Never the less, Chicago had adjusted to us, and we were not stopping them. That plus 10 was all from the first 5 minutes of the game. After that, Stuckey was actually minus.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

However you slice it, Stuckey was amazing tonight, and the Pistons probably do not win this game without him.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nope. I'm a believer now. He's been hitting his jumpers ever since he got the starting nod. That was what I believed was a crucial weakness in his game that would hold him back against great defensive teams. The range he is now showing is good enough to make the defense respect him, and that is all he needs. If they press out, he'll drive by them. And is becoming a very calming influence with the ball in his hands. The offense is slowing down in a good way. The bad turnovers have stopped. And defensively, he has the mental game and the physical ability to be very good. With Afflalo as his peer, hopefully this part of the game will be an emphasis for him.

Besides Stuck, we got a little bit of something from everyone tonight. AI was short arming his shots, but 7 assists in only 24 minutes. Tay was doing it all. Sheed was working the post. Rip fought through a tough start to get some critical buckets. Maxiell was energized and ripping down offensive boards. Dyess with 11 boards in 26 minutes. And Afflalo playing some very solid D as always... although Ben Gordon got into one of those zones at the end.

Obviously, I'm not liking the doghouse rotation of Kwame, Amir, and Maxiell, but what'ya gonna do?
  10. Pckast

Pckast First Round Draft Pick

Lots of kudos for Stuckey this game. Looking at the boxscore, at first glance, I thought it was AI making a "superstar appearance". My mistake, next time I use my reading glasses. :ohwell:
    Lots of points in the paint. I'm glad that's an area where we made a lot of improvement.
    Sheed again a technical; he will probably be out before the Allstar break if he goes on like this.
    Dyess, although he did a great job tonight, is eating up a lot of minutes. And again no play for Kwame and Amir. If this goes on until the playoffs, we will get nothing from them, and Dyess will be worn out.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed is getting technicals to force Curry to play the young big men. It's a brilliant move.
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I wish it was this noble.

He's always been a guy who gets hot and can't control himself. He's such a paradox. He gets so worked up he nearly gets ejected, when he isn't half-assing it because the game is meaningless or the opponent is below him.

If he had to play against refs every night, he'd be a lock for the HOF.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Those guys are mostly 5'10" and 170 lbs, so that's not saying much.
  14. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Why was Stuckey the only Piston on the court when they made their run? I understand now why you think it was all Stuckey's fault. We need to limit him to five minutes a game and play Amir for 20 and Bynum 15.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Curry is almost starting to get the rotation down pretty good. Now all he has to do is grow a big enough pair to bench AI sometimes.
  16. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

:rofl:

How many techs a player recieves till he gets suspended for a game?
    Sheed has about 10 - 11 till now..
  17. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

how about RIP to the bench? No way you tell me RIP better at SG then Allen Iverson..

There is a reason why one gets voted by fans every year into the all star starting line up, there is a reason why one sells his shirt all over the world..

STOP saying AI to bench, it annoys me.. :rant2:
  18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Didnt he do that a couple games ago in the fourth quarter?

I guess that gets overlooked because Curry wasn't afraid to say exactly why he did it and Allen wasnt afraid to say that Curry was right.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think AI is faking the groin injury to avoid any holiday practices.

The Bulls might be the only team the small ball line-up doesn't bother me against. It has been very annoying watching them play against DET the last few years.

Hopefully the Pistons can stumble into some good luck if AI is out for any games and straighten out their rotation.

Did Sheed miss like 30 shots in a row after the 1st?

I have made as much fun of TGRH as anyone, but watching Sheed, TG and Dyess interact with Lindsay after the game shows how close these guys are/were. It made me kind of sad thinking of what could have or should have been for that team. It is especially so watching this steaming pile of mediocre garbage game after game. Happy holidays everyone!
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Fans vote on offense only and even on that criterea, they are about 3 years late.

Also, you got Yi making the All Star game this year. Those Chinese fans aren't just marking one name on their ballots. They are voting for Yi + all the guys they've heard of... like AI.