Chicago April 13th 7:30PM

Discussion in 'April 2009' started by max, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if black outfits were required for that party so His LeBronness can stand out more in a red sweater.
  2. Walter

Even Michael Schumacher couldn't win a race with a Ford Pinto.
    A student driver cannot win a Formula1 race with the best F1 car in the world.
  3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

no argument from me that the players ultimately have to get the job done on the floor. but...

there's a difference between being less successful (which I agree would happen in all of the cases you mention) and looking clueless. I really doubt that Jackson or Pop would ever look clueless on a consistent basis, no matter who they had or didn't have on their team. I'm guessing their teams would play to their potential the vast majority of the time.
  4. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

what if this season was the pistons potential? I think MC is a pretty good coach.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. If they maximized potential, then he is an amazing coach indeed.
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The results were obviously NOT their potential. I will never believe for a second that a team that did not have a major roster turnover would plummet this quickly (59 wins and 2 games from the finals to 39 wins).
  7. slowfall

You can't compare the two teams, One had CB and very little injuries the other had AI drama and a season full of injuries.

On a bright note the Pistons have 22 losses where the games have been separated by 4 or less points going into the final minute of the game,
    22 minutes away from being 61-20.

If MC had the team we had last year I honestly see him winning at least 50 games; The drop off in coaching is not as extreme as most of you think the circumstances lead MC to a sub .500 record not coaching.

(Let it be known I hate using trivial stats and otherwise silly comparison, I just feel this "MC is a bad coach" debate is a very one sided argument on the forums at the moment.)
  8. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

MC has been very consistent with these types of timeouts all year.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Watching the BOS v 76ers game and I am amazed at both the simplicity and variety of ways the guards for both teams can score.

How many games would the Pistons have to play for one of their guards to hit the shot that Gordon took on his game winner when he took off on one foot and laid the ball in with one hand?

I think there is a greater chance that they'd miss that shot on a mildly contested breakaway instead of scoring.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I thought this was pretty crazy indeed. I thought I must have been hearing the announcer wrong.
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I am so enlightened everytime you enlighten me with enlightening illusions of your enlightable conclusions.
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

anybody else notice the 'customery' white girl?/ LOL Life is hilarious!
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You talking bout the girl that Lebron is hitting on?
  14. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You might well be right about this. My point was not so much to bash curry, but just to lay waste to the absurd implication in raxrets's post that: "well, Pop, Curry, Phil Jackson, it's all the same because the players have to get it done." In other words, maybe MC would win 50 games with last year's team; but Pop or Phil J could well have gotten to the finals or even won it with last year's team. Curry may not be as horrible as we say, and he certainly is not solely responsible for the team sucking this year (though I don't think anyone is saying that except maybe Lee), but there's no way to argue that he's helped the team or made them better, or that we'd have had the same won loss record this year (even with the trade, the drama, and the injuries) if Phil Jackson or Pop were coaching the team.
  15. slowfall

I agree with you 100%.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ooh, uh, yeah. I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there. Yeah. Uh, he's been real flaky lately and I'm not sure that he's the caliber person you want for coaching. He's been having some problems with his +/- reports.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  17. Walter

:pound:
    TaS, that was awesome!
  18. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

If we're applying Office Space logic to his work performance, then I have to say that he's a "straight shooter with upper management written all over him".

Maybe Joe D brought in some outside consultants to help him determine if there were any suitable candidates in-house to replace Flip...
  19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I'm afraid that if MC were coaching the Cavs; they would have struggled to make the play offs.

Laebron would have averaged 42 minutes a game; playing big minutes because they would not have had the blow outs they enjoyed.

Ilgauskus would have also been playing big minutes because Varejao would have only seen spot minutes.

Varejao would have been in and out of the line up ala Amir because the things he does on the floor don't always show up on the stat sheet.

Wally would have played way more minutes because like Walter, he can shoot and spread the floor. Put him down for 30+ minutes rather then 20.

The similarities between the squads and how Curry would have played them would be interesting. Lebron averaged 37 minutes throughout the year and was highest on the team. Mo Williams and D. West were next with 35 and 33. No one else on the team averaged more then 29. Our starting six all averaged more then 30 and they are all older.

Will be interesting if Curry is able to match up with them with our roster or just trots out the same rotations and sits and watches the results.
  20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Finally via Langlois we get what went wrong:

PISTONS: Pistons Mailbag

This forum, it seems, blames too much coach, but I have always stated that everything relies finally on players. Playgrounds are not factories, coaches are not engineeres and players are not robots.