Chauncey has interest in the Bucks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by final.wrath, Nov 4, 2006.

1. final.wrath

final.wrath Banned - Sent to NBDL

2. max

max All-Star

I am going to put this under the I don't believe it column for now.

Bucks will have some cap space but they also will only have 7 players under contract next summer and with a huge pay raise due for Bogut in the summer of 08 they really will not have that much flexibilty. Namely since they massivly over paid for Bobby Simmons 2 years ago.

I just don't see a small market team like that going too far into lux tax which they will have to do if they signed Billups.

But we have to expect that there will be some competition for Billups and it only takes one unrealistic offer for him to leave. Something to watch but for now I am going to try and enjoy the season and worry about it later.

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If Chauncey said that it would be in news all over the place. He may want to go their, but he's the only one who would know that right now. He said he wants the Pistons to win and that if it causes him to have bad stats he doesn't care. I'll take his word for it, maybe he wants to leave if he gets a lot of money or maybe he doesn't. No one knows that yet tough.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sign Chauncey-Period. I look at CB and see a player that is learning to play the game from mental approach. CB looks a lot like Cassell and Dumars as their careers wound/wind down. So long as we have another PG to give some run to CB won't hurt us. When you can shoot, you can shoot forever.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Delfino should take him out to dinner and ask him "are you with us?"

6. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I agree! Chauncey would be great to have even in his mid 30s, if he wants to play that long. He is a good shooter to have around. The only problem I could see is Joe D doesn't want to spend all that money on a aging player. But I would sign him, he is the leader of these Pistons IMO.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's great to have a shooter past his prime, but not for $15 million a year.

It's just like Ben. Would have liked to keep him for a 10% increase, but at $60 million over 4 years, this handicaps your team going forward...

8. max

max All-Star

Thats a good one.

Ros - it only takes one GM to make a ridiculas offer to mess up your whole salary structure. The 28 other GM's can think he is not worth it but if the Bucks one does and is willing to scrap up the rest of his team from wherever then it could happen.

Afterall this is the same team that gave Tim Thomas a max deal and Bobbie Simmons a near max one. They also traded Ray Allen for Gary Paton so who knows what they are capable of.

9. roscoe36

Well that is why Joe D. gets paid the big bucks. He's supposed to anticipate and plan for this stuff. To understand the market, utilizing resources like moles, agents and media reports.

Let's just hope he does a better job than he did with Ben. I thought that he didn't execute a S&T was quite frankly, criminal. If it happens two offseasons in a row, we are in deep doodie.

10. max

max All-Star

Dumars did trade Darko and Arroyo to free up cap for Ben. Thats half the plan. Just had trouble carrying out the other half.

We really have no contigency plan for Billups, how can you? We will see.

11. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

"When it's winning time - the last six, seven, eight minutes - all that (erratic play) is out the door,'' said Chauncey Billups, who finished with 10 assists for Detroit. "It's like everybody's locked in and that's the sign of a veteran team that's been together.''

I was disappointed to read that. We've spent the last 2 years failing to flip the switch. If Billups hasn't figured it out by now, when is he? I think I'm down for trading him before the season's out.

12. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I think Billups will get a very good offer from Detroit and will stay. He likes being the captain and he likes Flip and Joe. Unless he gets a huge offerfrom another team, I expect he will stay.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Cro, when JD does the right thing and signs CB to and ungodly amount of money and ruins your idea of long term money management you're going to hyperventilate with relief to the point of passing out.
    Question will it take more than $16M per to keep him?

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From McCoskey's blog (I think he borrowed this from me lol):

And so it starts. The Boston Globe, using an unnamed "friend" of Chauncey Billups as its source (weak), says Billups is interested in perhaps playing for the Milwaukee Bucks after he opts out of his final year with the Pistons in July. Listen, Billups, or at least his agent, Andy Miller, is going to be interested in any team that is as far under the salary cap ($14 million) as the Bucks can be next summer. It's called leverage. That doesn't mean Billups is counting down the days before he can leave Detroit and run the floor with Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut.
    As for the friend, Billups has more friends in the NBA than anybody I have ever known. He's the Mayor of the league, for crying out loud. Each and every one of them no doubt has their story about where Chauncey will end up next year. Save yourself some time. Just list all the teams that could be at least $8 million to $10 million under the cap next summer and there's your list of teams Billups will be intrigued by. He needs those teams to push the price up in Detroit, which can pay him more than any other team. It's all part of the game.

Billups, himself -- I chose to deal directly with him and not his myriad friends, call me crazy -- said he wants to be a Piston the rest of his career. Now I know Grant Hill and Ben Wallace and others have said that and left. I am not naive. Anything can happen. But until I see evidence, real evidence, that something has changed, either from the Pistons end or Billups', I think Billups will stay. He loves being the face and voice of this franchise. He and his family are real comfortable here. He and Dumars are incredibly close (sometimes I think they have the same DNA). I am not going to over react to every unnamed source who says Billups is thinking about leaving.

15. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

Your A Genius M. Pure Genius. I almost want to :Cry: :kleenex: :grouphug: I mean this on the real [sign] WELCOME TO DETROIT CITY[/sign]

16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

McCosky is really losing it. Hollinger, at ESPN, writing about '07 free agents says the Bucks and CB are serious. BTW, Darko #5 FA next year.

There's no question who the Bucks' primary target is -- faster than you can say "tampering," Detroit's Billups already has taken note of the Bucks' salary-cap windfall next summer. He's the marquee free agent in what shapes up as the best class in a while -- and in an era when nearly every good player is locked up with an extension, perhaps the best for some time.

ESPN.com - NBA - Hollinger: Top 25 available free agents in '07

17. roscoe36

I don't know why McCoskey catches all the flack. Do any of you read A. Sherrod Blakely? When there is spin the Pistons put out, all of the beat writers spread it thick. That's how you can tell it is "party line". They all parrot one another.

18. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

19. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

True that you can't expect the local beat reporter to repeat every rumor. That story's gonna run at some point in almost every town where there's a remote possibility of cap room and a need for a PG. That said, I wouldn't trust McCosky to be on top of it either.

20. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

I'll be glad when this is over because all this speculation is getting on my nerves.