Away Charlotte Bobcats Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ Charlotte Bobcats

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 7:00 PM Eastern

Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, NC

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I posted here cause that other thread was too depressing.
    Seems like we just played these guys. Anyways............
    Many former NBA coaches are shining up their resumes.
    Looks like another loss....Pistons 82 - Bobcats 90
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Does this team have a team captain? Is it Stuckey or Monroe? Either way hopefully somebody took over the pilots intercom and gave these guys a tongue lashing on the flight down to Charlotte last night. If they didn't discuss it with no team flight meeting then no one cares and you will see the same type of effort tonight.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons: 88
    Bobcats: 126
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Monroe 0-7
    Smith 0-6
    Jennings 3-8

Singler is singler-handedly keeping the Pistons close.
    roscoe36, linwood and LA Dre like this.
  6. LA Dre

20 point lead as the team that can shoot is making the Pistons look realllll bad. I would sit all the starters now and put in whoever is dressed that didn't play last night....BoT, GiGi, Mitchell, Siva and Billups. I figure all aren't dressed, but I am sure they would give a better effort than the starters.
  7. BillLaimbeer

Billups is having season-ending (hopefully, career-ending) surgery.
  8. LA Dre

Oh I didn't know that.....make him coach then.....he can't do any worse than the new guy who thinks too much like Mo....in fact he seems to be worst...
  9. LA Dre

Non-breaking news....we got swept by the Bobcats. No effort by anyone especially on the defensive end. I saw Stuckey just stand there and let both Sessions and Henderson shoot non contested jumpers with no effort to put a hand in their faces.
  10. Nemo

Looks like Dre needs to move that video to this thread....:)
  11. BillLaimbeer

Well, we are closer to the lottery (1.5 games back) than the playoffs (2.5 games back) now.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Horrid coaching. No effort from the coach at all. No adjustments from last night. An organization that is basically sick, which at this time I doubt can be healed by any less than the current owner admitting the idea of his team winning was just a ruse, sells the team to someone who really wants to see the Pistons win.

Yeah, not just get rid of Dumars, but the owner who has stuck with him. Start new.

Singler. Minus 20. Mostly we zoned him up, using a modified zone with him being the only guy zoning. In other words, we tried desperately not to have him guard anyone. But they did manage to score on Singler here and there, and our announcers tried to sell that Singler played good D. No he did not. If Henderson failed to score on any of those shots, he would wake up tomorrow hating himself. Singler is incapable of guarding the guy.

Again, by accident, something improved. Due to a bit of foul trouble, JJ got to play some small forward. JJ was plus for the game by the way, as was Stuckey. So Bynum and Singler have no excuse at all in this one for each being negative.

Singler did some scoring in the first half. Ten points. But the Pistons only shot about 33% in the first half. They were not guarding Singler, to the detriment of the rest of the team. In the 2nd half, Singler scored nothing. They guarded him a bit. Not much, but they did have Henderson keep half an eye on him at least. Singler though, still did not draw enough defensive attention in the game, at any point, to be a reason for him to be out there playing exactly no defense at all. Defense which he can not play. Not in the least little bit.

Bynum did some scoring, had some assists. But he hurt our D for every bucket he helped us get. Again, Stuckey comes out there, and is totally wasted as he represents a 3rd point guard.

Really really bad news for Detroit. Pope did not play, save for a few moments. We can't play any D, and we do not use Pope in the game?

Stuckey did have a decent scoring night, looked better. But they never have mentioned what caused the dizziness he was suffering. I do hope that is all past. But note, Stuckey scored more, but we lost by a lot more than we did last night.

Oh, by the way. Singler, in 29 minutes, had no assists. And no rebounds. Played no defense. Was minus 20. And all the Pistons org. wants to do is put Singler up as the face of the franchise. Strange.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Time to throw in the towel? The Pistons were never in it--again. At one point they got it down to 1 point in the second but Charlotte quickly stepped it up. I didn't see a good game out there by any Piston.

The problem is that even if Cleveland and New York pass the Pistons, the Pistons will only be in the 8th spot. The other spots seemed locked in. And often a team moves up one notch in the lottery which would knock the Pistons out as Charlotte would get the pick.

How do you play as bad as the Pistons have played these last 4 years and not even get a top five pick out of it? Getting Drummond at the 9th pick was lucky.

I would start to disassemble every player that is associated with this period. Only Andre is an untouchable. Not sure about Monroe. Not sure about Josh.

I would start by getting a point guard that could run the team. A top draft pick would be a good way to do this--but it still seems lot a bit of a longshot.
    Lee356 likes this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

Monroe and Smith were killers in this game. They made a few shots during garbage time but they were about 2 for 25 when the game was on the line. Terrible.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This situation is definitely not his fault, but it is hard to be less of a threat on the floor than Jerebko is. Either end. He is a classic Joe tweener who lacks the skills and size of either position. He looks like he's dragging an anchor around the court.

Anyone know of a place where I can bet that the Pistons won't make the playoffs, won't keep their pick and Monroe will walk away for nothing at the end of the year?
  16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I've seen the first one of these. It was so bad that I didn't bother watching the sequel. Sounds like I made the right choice. I'm happy.
  17. LA Dre

I missed most of the second half....but so did most of the Pistons.
    Walter likes this.
  18. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Shouldn't that be "no effort from the players at all"
  19. Nemo

Still on track to win 33 games this season.
    Chances for the playoffs don't look good.
    Chances for a high draft pick don't look good.
    Seems like we've heard this all before.
    Time for some off season anticipation....

[​IMG]
  20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons looked their playoff future in the eye and turned their heads. They gave up. Drummond was frustrated guarding Jefferson and put up his worst game of the year (he was gassed). Jennings got teched out of the game, frustration techs for the second game in a row. Nobody was playing any defense, there was no offensive flow, they couldn't stop Jefferson with anything other than fouls, got outscored, outrebounded, outdefended, outassisted, outshot, outhustled and outclassed by a sub-.500 borderline playoff team.

Pope zeroed out again. Only three minutes, but still...

This season is officially over. Their coach is already gone, and Dumars is next. This has been an absolute mess of a season, and the only possible saving grace, at this point, is that the Pistons aren't out of contention for a top-8 pick and should have a decent amount of cap space next year, so long as they don't blow it on overpaying Monroe. Every game where Smith/Jennings shoot sub-40%, every possession where Jennings chases his defender around the court like the goose in duck-duck-goose, every time I watch Jennings and Smith run a clear out that results in Smith hoisting a long 2... with them locked up for 3/4 more years, each of these events blocks out another beam of hope that existed before this season, when everything seemed so promising.

This team sucks. The starting unit is constructed like a pimp's outfit - all flash, no cohesion or substance. The bench players - when they play - contribute nothing. They don't try on defense, have no offensive flow and have no mental toughness. There's no leadership on the court on this team...

I could go on and on, but I won't bother. I can deal with bad so long as there's an end in sight, but this year it felt like the end of bad went from last year to three years from now. I can handle one or the other of Jennings/Smith, but putting them on the court together and letting them lob inefficient shots at the basket is destroying this team, and they don't seem to be getting wise to that fact. That's the worst part of it all - nobody on this squad seems to recognize that relying the scoring prowess of two guys that make baskets and an unacceptably low rate is suicidal.

The only hope is to continue to lose. Thanks, Joe.