Home Charlotte Bobcats Wednesday Feb 29 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 27, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 29, 2012.
  1. Detroit

73.3%
  2. Charlotte

26.7%
  1. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Prophetic, Bill. Up by 23 at one point, let the bobcats get it down to 12 but put it away. Not before needing to get some starters back on the floor, though. First game new owner Tom Gores has watched that ended with a win, too.

Greg with the first 20 rebound game of his career to go along with an efficient 19 points on only 9 shots. They kept him in there so he could get to that 20 rebound milestone despite the lopsided score, but he did a great job on the boards all night, having 10 at the half, a big part of the reason for the Pistons' advantage on second chance points and rebounds overall (55-37). He also had two blocks. He was perhaps a tad bit too unselfish at some points, such as, after getting a pass inside from Knight, he opted to pass to JJ who fumbled it in traffic rather than try for the layup. May or may not have made it, but he probably would've been shooting free throws there even if he didn't make the shot.

Stuck had a solid game, had a very nice dunk on the break in the second. Was just a tad careless with the ball with 3 turnovers after having 5 against Philly, but he scored 29 along with 3 assists. Outshot everyone with 18 shots, hitting 10. Nice and efficient. If he could hit his jumpers more consistently he'd be so much better. Good game though.

Brandon had a nice game as well, as Bill mentioned very quiet in the first quarter taking only one shot, but had a much better second quarter, scoring 14 and finishing with 20 overall, shooting 50% with 5 assists. Not sure if it's related, but he seemed to get more aggressive with Kemba Walker coming in and guarding him.

Ben Gordon took 11 shots en route to 10 whole points with some truly awful defense. He got torched by his man all night, and if it weren't for the 'Cats awfulness I would've been far more concerned. The pick and roll with Monroe that Bill mentioned was his best play.

Tayshaun played well. He wasn't playing as much isolayshaun basketball and did a nice job on the boards as well, getting 10 overall to go with 14 points on 7 of 11 shooting. He, along with Greg, Brandon and Rodney in the starting lineup shot quite well.

JJ was...okay, I guess. He hurt the team a little bit with his excessive fouling and turnovers (4) right at the end of the third/start of the fourth when Charlotte made their run. He also fouled out in only 20 minutes. Good energy guy, decent rebounder, but he is most definitely got a SF's game rather than a PF's.

Wilkins was good. The important thing is he didn't hurt the team. He did bobble a few passes though and was lucky to recover them.

Max was ok. Only shot 1 of 7, with 7 rebounds but had two nice blocks.

Big Ben was good. He's still the best at setting screens, and had 2 points, a block and 5 boards in only 13 minutes on the floor.

Walker D got some garbage time burn.

Austin was a DNP-CD once again, despite his team having a double digit lead for a majority of the game. Heck, even Vernon Macklin got some garbage time play. He's in the doghouse for sure.

Playing against a league-worst Bobcats team who lost its starting PF and best shot blocker in the first half is hardly indicates vast improvement, but they played with a lot more energy and didn't have too many lapses throughout the game. Interesting to note that Lawrence Frank went with a three-guard lineup for the entire game outside of 2 minutes in garbage time, and there wasn't as much of a drop off in terms of scoring/defense even with an ugly, non-scoring front line of Big Ben, JJ and Wilkins in. The only difference between that lineup and the momentum killing one from last night was that Knight in the first half and in the second half Rodney was kept in with BG. Will Bynum? DNP-CD.

basketbills, roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Our troops overseas are going to have some great recaps to read about tonights game.

Nice job everyone!

3. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

It's the Bobcats, nothing to be glad about.. though Nice to see Monroe lifting up his personal stats.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maxiell was the +/- leader with 4 blocked shots probably helping.

Monroe had one of his best games ever (that stat they showed with Rodman's 20 rebounds games was sick though... 73 with the Pistons?!!!)

Stuckey was a monster

Knight was smooth

But... we were playing a team with only 4 wins in 33 attempts, so we aren't the only ones feeling good about ourselves after playing MJ's mess.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good observations. Pointing out who was out there to start the 2nd quarter - that was the key to this game, and in great contrast to what coach put out there to start the 2nd quarter of the Philly game. Coach made an adjustment, bringing in some guys early in the first so that starters could be involved to start the 2nd quarter. The result? In both the Philly and the Charlotte game, the first quarter was pretty much a tie. In the 2nd quarter, disaster for the Pistons in the Philly game, where we saw Bynum play the point, which he can't do, Gordon play shooting guard, which he can't do with no team around him at all to help get him the ball where he needs it, Wilkins, who simply is not much of a player, JJ, who is a zero as a power forward in this league, and Ben Wallace, a guy who is a fine player, but who can't in anyway make such a horrid unit functional.

So this game, Bynum is dropped from the rotation. Bynum is a player who we absolutely need not play. Stuckey, Gordon, and Knight can certainly handle all the guard minutes. Why add a 4th guard who is such a dropoff from the other 3? Knight started the 2nd quarter, so Gordon, a scorer, had a true point guard to set him up. Yes, Wilkens was out there. Got to give him credit for that, but I see nothing he does that actually helps the team out much. JMAX was out there to help ensure the D was solid. The stats don't show what he did that well - he played tough D indeed. And Ben Wallace - playing with an otherwise solid unit absolutely makes that unit better. Look at the contrast in plus / minus for Wallace between the two games. Played about 12 mintues in both, but was minus 18 in the Philly game while plus 11 in this one.

Will add this, that crazy unit led by Bynum gave up a 11-0 run to Philly to start the 4th quarter - will call that a good thing since it seems to have brough coach to his senses.

Great to see the 19-20, and oh I wanted one more point from Monroe but I wanted him off the floor before he had a meaningless senseless injury in garbage time a lot more. Even staying out there for rebound 20 was kind of dangerous.

Stuckey was great. I see in another thread someone compared Stuckey to Rip. Forget that. Rip had the kind of game you simply do not want on your team. Stuckey on the other hand, has exactly what we need, the ability to drive to the basket, score buckets there while getting the other team in foul trouble. Of course, I would still have him coming off the bench, while starting Daye at shooting guard.

Knight keeps gaining confindence, can't hurt that any having another 20 point game behind him - though I would rather see him finding points for the other guys out there in that situation. Build their confidence up some.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur with Lee about playing Bynum. He was the catalyst in the second quarter and 4th quarter negative runs that the sixers put on the Pistons last night. Him sitting out the game tonight was a good move by the coach and he should not play unless the game is in GT and the Pistons are by 30 with less tha 3 mins to go in game......:MusicBigGrin:...

I still think that Maclin deserves some of Wilkins PT despite the different positions that they are playing.

You could tell by Coach Silas demeanor on one of the timeouts he was already thinking about how Anthony Davis would look into a Bobcat uniform. He didn't have a care in the world as though he and MJ had already handshaked on the Tanking....

For one the few times this season, the camera spotted Gores and Dumars talking up in the stands. If the Pistons had played the way they did last night vs the Sixers and lost to the worst team in the league, Bobcats, Joe may have been fired before the final horn sounded.....

alexa032 and basketbills like this.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Had to add this: Tonight the Pistons got a ton of fast break points. This often consisted of Stuckey or Knight getting to the basket and making the shot there. Yes, once, Knight pulled up and nailed a medium range jumper - but with Rip, hey, that is how Rip meant to finish a fast break every time - with a midranger. Exactly the wrong shot to take. Does not draw fouls, does not pin the other team under the basket - and as good as Rip was shooting the ball, was not high enough a scoring percentage for fast breaks.

And while I am at it, here is a rotation. I will take Dre's suggestion of replacing Wilkins with Macklin.

Start: Knight, Daye, JJ, JMAX, Monroe

2nd unit: Stuckey, (Knight or Daye), Tay, Wallace, Macklin

OK, so it drops Gordon in favor of Daye too. So sue me.

Here is another one, kind of mixes thing around a bit with the purpose of both starting Knight, and playing Gordon along side him. Yes, that would mean starting Gordon.

Start )Knight, Gordon, JJ, JMAX, Monroe.

2nd unit) Stuckey, Daye, Tay, Wallace, Macklin

This has the advantage of being a bit more versatile 10 man vs. a 9 man rotation.

And here is one more - trying to go all offense on the first unit.

Start) Knight, Gordon, Daye, Macklin, Monroe

2nd unit: Stuckey, (any of Knight, Gordon, Daye), Tay, JMAX, Ben Wallace.

Here we would use the JMAX / Ben Wallace combo some, but play little games like bringing in early subs up front to minimize it, having Monroe especially be playing with the 2nd unit paired with either Wallace or JMAX.

This last also leaves JJ out, who becomes a situational player, playing where it makes sense at either forward position. On any given night he could end up playing lots of minutes, subbing directly or indirectly for any or Wallace, JMAX, Macklin, Gordon, or Daye.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

For those who say that having a shot-blocker isn't important, watch this game.
    This one started with Bismack Biyambo swatting a couple of shots early. After that, the Pistons were constantly looking over their shoulders to see where B-Smack was. Guys were beating their man and throwing up some hasty shots when Biyambo rotated over.

Once Biyambo went out with an injury, it was a free for all in the lane. Rodney and BK were driving at will and Monroe was living in the paint getting easy put-backs.

On the flip side, the Pistons (JMAX!) were erasing a lot of Charlotte shot attempts which led to several fast break opportunituies. ...Even Monroe blocked a shot! This was good to see after the team had exactly ZERO blocked shots against Philly the night before.

I loved the way that Stucky and Knight were pushing the rock up the floor the whole game. They constantly put the Bobcats on their heels with aggressive play. After years of watching this team walk the ball up the court, Brandon Knight might just be what the doctor ordered to finally have a Pistons team that runs rather than a team that talks about running.

Charlotte really sucks. They deserve to have the most ping pong balls. Their roster is basically the Pistons roster without Greg Monroe.

The small crowds at the Palace make viewing the games on TV interesting. I actually saw one of my roomates from college on television as he was easy to spot among the 'several' people that actually came out to see this one. I'm constantly looking for people that I know when I watch Piston home games.

linwood and basketbills like this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the NBA should just award the #1 pick to the 'Cats in lieu of the lottery. They are terrible.

That was a ridiculously small crowd last night. Maybe I only noticed it right after halftime when a couple of people were still in the bathroom, but there could not have been 50 people in the entire lower bowl section that the TV was showing.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Gores had them all in the box suites.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gores was looking a lot like Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips (also pictured with Roberto Donadon). [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I wish Wayne Coyne was the owner of the Pistons. Image the promotions and half-time shows.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Can't believe that two look alikes that were posted offer no degree of tilt to their head.
    This coming from a poster who uses an avatar that offers the appropriate tilt........troubling. :)

14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If the Flaming Lips played each halftime show and took over promotions, I might be compelled to move back to Detroit and buy season tickets.

15. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Last time I saw flaming lips was after eating the chimichaunga platter at Guadlahara's Feast..........

linwood likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My God, you're right. Even the Gores picture is vertical. The odds of selecting 3 images that look like Gores in row with no head tilt...

[​IMG]