Away Charlotte Bobcats Wednesday Feb 20 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good away win on the end of a back to back. Its Hilarious how coach just keeps marching in one point guard after another into the game. I truly believe we won this one because Knight got injured, so coach had one less point guard to put in there in the 4th quarter.

Knight made several open shots. Good for him. Still not a shooting guard. At least we did see him connect, finally, on a pass from Calderon.

Charlotte is a horrible team, no interior D. So they have to pack it in and leave our shooters open. Calderon was 4 for 4 from deep, and mostly there was nobody in the gym with him. Stuckey gave us some scoring from drives. Singler hit some shots. CV hit one three and a couple closer in. Not a bad defensive game for him. I said for him, not that his defense was any good.

Kravtsov positively affected this one. Very active both ends. His highlight was a dunk off a pick and roll with Bynum - very well done, but again, against a defense that is notoriously bad at defending that play.

Let me see, JJ is back in the rotation, playing backup small forward to Singler. He did not repeat his shooting performance, but its nice to see him out there hustling, and not being asked to play power forward, which he just can't do.

Calderon often played off guard, to both Knight and Bynum. Stuckey was often useless, playing positions he can't play. Still got to like the drives in though. Much of my dislike of Bynum - I say he is just in the way of Knight and Stuckey playing the point, with Calderon being the shooting guard. One of those very wide open 3's Calderon made was off penetration by Knight and a sharp kickout from him. But I will admit, Bynum is the guy who finds ways to connect with guys like Drummond and now Kravtsov. (But then again, if Bynum was not playing, who is to say Knight and Stuckey could not be doing that?)

JMAX? Could not get the job done as the Bobcats were all over the offensive board. However, I will note we started out the game doing very well defensively - with JMAX in the game. I still would like to see Kravtsov start along side Monroe to see how two actual bigs can do on D for us.

Note, Calderon only had two assists. It ain't working for him, as a point guard, not to have a shooting guard along side him. Sometimes we do give him CV to help. We could just start a shooting guard along side him. We have a couple of good young ones to try that with. Middleton and English. Just saying. We need to drop down by two point guards. Meaning trade one or two, and use Calderon at shooting guard. Trade for a big to replace Drummond in the rotation.

Monroe did a lot of nice scoring inside. JMAX did some damage inside too. Occasionally, we had a decent unit out there, with one of the points running the point, Calderon at shooting guard, CV in at power forward, and just for a bit Singler still in to add another shooter. But these type of logical units were rare in this game.

We won it down the stretch with some good, solid execution. Nice pass from Bynum to Monroe for the easy score inside, for instance. And some more rock steady scoring from Monroe. No stupid shots. Looked basically like a smarter team out there vs. what we used a few weeks back. Maybe Calderon influencing the team?
    The Panda, BillLaimbeer and roscoe36 like this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We have been watching Stuckey for many years. You have a better chance blindly pinning the tail on a donkey than Stuckey connecting with a teammate on a pass.
    KGREG and roscoe36 like this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons did a good job on the defensive glass tonight. It seems like the Bobcats best play was tipping an offensive rebound over the baseline and throwing it backward to a teammate for a layup attempt.

Maxey had a couple of doozeys for missed shots.

The Bobcats have to switch their name back to the Hornets don't they? They're legitimately depressing. (Was it me or did there seem to be a bigger crowd there than at The Palace?)
  4. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I agreed with nearly everything you said, except this.

Running Calderon as a SG is honestly, the height of stupidity as a coach. Not only we he get toasted by most SG's because of his size, we lose all of his awesome ball handling and distributing skills. You think he shoots well? Have you seen him thread needles?

If the Pistons need a SG, they need to acquire one. Because in one breath, you say that running players out of position (BK at SG, JJ at PF, Stuckey on the basketball court) is a terrible thing, and then in the next, that the solution to our problems is running a player out of position. The combo guard experiment is done. Its got less going for it than creationism or flat earth theory, so lets not support it. Running Jose at the point makes this team better, lets be clear here. I would rather the 2 spot suffers under BK, than the whole back court suffer because we are playing people out of position.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Knight's passing looked unusually good to me tonight. Rondo like at times.

By the way, Charlie Villanueva was the sole leading rebounding in the entire game in only 26 min.

Very few turnovers in this game overall with 9 by us and 8 by the Cats.

Hope Knight's OK. The whole chain of events was perplexing to me. Why was he not taken out of the game for good after that accident? It's not like this was game 6 of the ECF.
  6. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Yeah, Knight was having a hell of a game.

Because he wanted to come back in, and wanted to stay in after the second injury (ankle) but Kander dragged him out. Doctor apparently cleared him, but still, Frank should've shut him down for the game the first time.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good that Joe's darlings were able to spoil MJ's birthday week. They beat the lowly Magic last night, but the BCats were no match for the Pistons tonight...at least in the first, third and fourth quarters....

The silver lining with the injury to Dre is that we get to see Slava bang and so far even in the 12 mins tonight he looked better that # 2 pick from 2003 that shall remain nameless.
    KGREG, linwood, basketbills and 2 others like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still a little disappointed in what I'm seeing out of Slava. Charlie looks like a tougher rebounder than him. His biggest problem is hesitation in the paint on offense though. He's just not explosive enough for a raw athletic type. It is the same quality that is leading to his personal fouls... he's just a step slow.

It's still interesting actually seeing him play and I'm open minded that he can show more once he's in better game shape. His highlight reels in Europe look 5x more impressive that anything I've seen him do here though. The Bynum alley oops are the highlight so far.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

so did the highlight reels of the dude who shall remain nameless. Seems like those reels are photo videoshopped before they are uploaded to YouTube and sent to America...:director:
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

One more flaw is his seeming tendency to bring the ball down before making a move, big no no. And I saw him with his feet stuck to the floor while Bobcats were flying toward the loose ball that was right in front of him all night. He's got third big man potential at best for me right now.

I think even Austin Daye can be made to look good if someone bothered to piece together his summer league highlights.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Agree with Alexa. The 3 minute highlight video isn't as important as what a guy does in the other 25 mins on the court. Jmax's dunks are great, and his hustle defense once every 3 games still excites me, but if you watch the other 25 mins, you're left wanting.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Judging by the footage in his prior league, i thought shot blocking would be his best attribute. But he really doesn't block many. Maybe he's just out of shape.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought Slava showed some pretty good hops on those alley-oop passes. I like the fact that he is getting some minutes. I am cautiously optimistic about TRG.
  14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It might be more of a blood flow issue at this point. For a backup guy who hasn't had much playing time he looked pretty solid. I think if he showed more expression and looked excited he would look like he is in better shape.
    Nemo and linwood like this.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Some observations:
    TRG looks like one of those players who is afraid to make a mistake. Frank needs to pull him aside and just tell him that he's gonna get X amount of minutes and don't worry about getting pulled for a mistake. He doesn't look afraid of the opponent (like Daye), he looks like he's afraid of little Lawrence.

BoT had 9 of the most meanigless rebounds that I've ever seen an NBA player grab. He had to fight for maybe 2 'em. Charlie is the best rebounder of an opponent's free throw ever. He'll burst into the lane and slap the ball with his elbows extended while everyone on the opposing team is already running back on defense.

Speaking of BoT, he had an amazing flop against Sessions in the closing minutes. That flop made him look like he was being filmed at the wrong angle during a fight scene in an old spaghetti western movie.

There just aren't a lot of teams in the NBA that you can beat with a closing lineup of Teen Wolf, Jose & Stuckey @ the 1,2 & 3 spots
    ...Luckily, Charlotte is one of those teams.

I was hoping to catch a glimpse of Ben Gordon bouncing a ball during a timeout when Mike Dunlap was trying to draw up a play.

I really miss Dre. I not only miss watching him, I miss the anticipation of watching him. Knowing that we aren't gonna see him has made these last few games pretty tough.

Maybe Jerebko needs to move back in with Arnie. He's been consistently inconsistent.

BK was making some damn good decisions with the rock. Nice dimes and nice shot selection from him.
    KGREG likes this.
  16. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

To be fair, the European game is very different from the NBA; it's a male version of the WNBA. Slava excelled over there because they didn't have guys like Zach Randolph and don't run a ton of isos. There has to be a lot of uncertainty in adjusting to the style and speed of the NBA game, and Slava looks... uncertain at times. I think with experience he'll get comfortable with what he's asked to do, with the advantage that his size gives him. Until then, there's going to be frustrating hesitancy at times and he's going to be inconsistent. Can he get better? We'll see - he's being given a great opportunity out of necessity. I don't see star potential in him, but then again, I don't know his mental makeup. It just takes awhile to adjust to a new game, and Slava is slowly coming along.
  17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

BK has improved quite a bit since Calderon has arrived. He's sporting a 4/1.6 a/to ratio this month, and in only 2 of the 10 games in February has he had more than 2 TOs (3 against both NO and LAL). In fairness, he isn't being asked to dish the ball out all that much, but he's been a solid contributor and looks more comfortable out there.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Nothing to do with Calderon but his defesnse is improved this year too.
    He seems to be picking up some QB skills from Jose.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ummmm, maybe because we took the ball out of his hands?
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This was an ugly game, but glad we got away with the win. The Bobcats guards play dirty. That Handerson is the biggest punk among the bunch and he's going to cause injuries to many guys in this league with his out-of-control limbs flailing around everytime he loses the ball, gets fouled etc.

Frank should've had the balls to not allow Knight back in the game.

While they were in, I only watched Slava and Jose. One thing for sure is that Jose's defense is highly underrated. He played very smart defense last night and altered a whole bunch of shots. Defensively, he was way better than Stuckey, Bynum, Singler.

Slava moves without the ball very well, which again is a big part of Euro basketball as Laimbrane pointed out. He reads the game well and he's very active on both ends of the floor. He still doesn't look comfortable and you can see that he's still adjusting. He's not gonna be a star, but I think he's a solid backup center. He was a very good pickup by Joe. I think that if we keep him andplay him, he will surprise many people by how much he progresses.

BTW, Bynum has been playing really well lately- whether that's because it is a contract year or not is yet to be seen.