Home Charlotte Bobcats Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Discussion in 'February 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Charlotte Bobcats

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 7:30 PM Eastern

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Coming out of the All-Star break, the Pistons play the Bobcats on back-to-back nights. These 2 games are huge since these 2 teams are currently battling for the final EC playoff spot. The season will be about 2/3 completed (54 out of 82 games) after Wednesday's game.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's getting reals.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons have just endured their 3rd 5 day break since 12/30/13. Only one of those was the All Star break.

It must be killing Adam Silver that these back to back with the Hormets are a day off from being in the ESPN/TNT broadcast window.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Exciting...back to back...our whole future depends on these two...anything can happen.

Pistons 128 - Bobcats 94

6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This will be one for the ages.

Charlie Villanueva - 92
    Ben Gordon - 88

7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Didn't realise there were that many minutes available on the bench.

Nemo likes this.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The Pistons have the better team. But Charlotte will win this game easily, because our coach will not play to win, but rather play guys who do not belong on the court. Sad state of affairs. A team in turmoil, totally of their own making. A trade is not needed. A new GM, and coach who knows how to coach, is needed.

Mogilny likes this.
  9. max

max All-Star

if Singler plays over 20 mins they win.
    if Singler plays less than 20 - we win.

We also need a lead of at least +25 going into the 4th to hold on.

10. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Charlie V not dressing tonight! Please be a trade in the works, please.
    And yes, I know Mitchell and Siva are both active, that's good.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bynum is another factor. If he gets in the game, you got to count his minutes with Singler's. I doubt we can have more than ten minutes total between the two and still win.

max likes this.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't agree that Pistons have a better team until we are 5 games ahead of them. In this game (at the end of 1) so far Charlotte has better shooters...especially out side the paint....then you add Jefferson to the mix they look far superior shooting 64% to our 45%.

With the lack of shooters.......we do need a trade.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Another zero effort game, from the coach. No plan to win, just plans to play Singler and Bynum as much as possible.

At the end of the game, when you expect at least our big front line would come back in, nope, you see Singeler out there instead and Monroe on the bench. Monroe, with an 18-10 game. Readily scoring inside for us. But not good enough for crunch time. Because Singler must be given minutes. And Bynum, must be given minutes, or you get fired. I say the owner syould sell the team immediantely if he insists on the Pistons playing losing basketball. And for sure, the new coach will not change a thing to avoid tomorrow nights loss.

Stuckey was 1-11, did not have it. But coach never seemed to notice. That did not help. He should have played a whole lot less.

Of note, Siva and Mitchell were dressed. CV and Billups were not.

Jennings scored 24, had 7 assists to just one turn. Pretty darn good. Our other starters? Drummond was truly brilliant with 11 offensive rebounds on his 16/22 night. And Monroe, as mentioned, was brilliant going inside on them tonight. Smith consistently got into the paint for scores. And pullled down 11 bounds. Not the greatest game, but he got his double double, as did our whole front line. Indeed, our starting front line averaged about exactly 15/15.

But our starters were all negative. Why? Singler played 40 minutes, split evenly between shooting guard and small forward, and only pulled down 2 rebounds. He did hit a few threes, which we all like. But just like CV, who even if he hits 5 triples in a game, Singler loses us games for his lack of D. In this game, coach mostly hid him in a modified zone, knowing of course there are no Charlotte players who Singler can actually guard.

Bynum did some individual things ok. But did not provide D, and too often called his own number.

Basically, no sign Cheeks has left, except now we have Bynum helping Sngler lose games for us.

JJ got to play 6 minutes, all at power forward. Despite playing out of position, we did fine with him in the game. As I thought, the fact he played a bit of power forward recently was just an accident from some foul trouble. Sorry to have misattributed this to any new ideas the new coach brings. Sorry, no new ideas here. Clueless as the last one.

After tomorrow nights loss, my theme will be simple. Fire Dumars now.

Ernie the Slow Adult and LA Dre like this.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Anyone who thought the new coach instilled some pride, conviction and direction on this team during the break were sadly mistaken. The only guy "playing"out there wearing a Piston uniform was the one that went to the all-star game. The others in the words of Charles Barkley were "idiots" Now I am not the one to use harsh language so I will just say that most didn't play smart BB or didn't care. Josh and Stuckey shot turrrrrrrrrrible going a combined 6-28 with Stunkey , Stuckey really stinking it up with a 1-11 brick house builder. For every prayer that Josh Smith shot, tossed, threw up there and missed, Al Jefferson was "floating" jumpers over both Dre and especially Monroe. Does Josh even have his eyes open when he drives to the hoop?

The game was lost in the first quarter when they refused to challenge anyone on defense under the basket and did not show any effort in trying to put a hand in the face Josh McRoberts allowing him to hit 2 of his 3 treys to help the Bobcats to a 32-21 first quarter lead. There was no defense played by the Pistons that first quarter and none played against Jefferson at all in the 4th quarter. The Bobcats hit 7 of their first 7 shots. After the first quarter the two teams played even with the Cats winning 76-75. Every time it appeared that the Pistons were making a run at the Bobcat lead which got to 19 at one time, Jefferson would float a jumper over Monroe or Drummond to keep the Pistons at bay. Jefferson was a magnificent 32-12-7.

Kemba Walker continues to torment Joe with the you-should-have-drafted-me instead-that-traded Brandon Knight guy, burning by all of the Pistons for layups and hitting 3 treys for 22 points and six assists.

This Bobcat "team" is better than the Pistons on the floor because they play better defense and can definitely shoot better. The had their woes at the line missing 11 of their first 14, other wise it could have been a 20+ point half time lead.

If the Pistons lose tomorrow and then again to the Hawks on Friday, then I think it may be time toss up the white flag if Joe doesn't make a trade. I mean it is more important to get that 8th and final playoff spot or that 8th or less lottery pick?

The problem is at least 7 of the teams behind us will start their tanking on March 1st and then we will be in that battle for lottery positioning that we always seem to blow the last week of the season. This time though the 9th or 10th worst record won't do anybody any good since there is no pick there.....however it will probably start the house cleaning project in management and coaching.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    brofmfa, max, Lee356 and 2 others like this.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Pistons were never in this one. Once again the guard play was sub-par but this time the bigs also got burned--by Jefferson. He looks too experienced and skilled at this point for Monroe and Andre. This is two games in a row that Jefferson has hurt the Pistons inside. I was hoping that they had learned from the last time. As LA Dre wrote, this team shoots better than the Pistons and Jefferson outscores Monroe and Andre.

Stilll, Monroe and Andre were the only players of note. These two battled back. Monroe scored well while still missing too many easy ones. And Andre at least made his presence felt. He just needs experience and to work on his skills.

Jennings points show why box scores must be taken with caution. He had no real impact on the game. He continues to shoot a poor percentage, night in and night out, and it is rare to see him hit a jumper when the game is actually close in the 4th quarter. Bynum actually ran the offense better for awhile in the 4th as correctly noted by Kessler on the broadcast. But, of course, what Bynum takes Bynum gives back.

And Josh was lost out there.

Let's see if the Pistons can adjust at all...

jzchen, LA Dre and Lee356 like this.
  16. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

The weaknesses of the team are becoming so blatant. No guard depth at all. Absolutely no defense. No shooting. With all my optimism gone and I really take a good look on this assembled roster (I can't use the word team as it would evoke something these players are not) I can't see Joe staying on. All the perceived shooting (KCP, Pizza Guy, CV) was only an allusion. The perceived defense (Smith) is non existent. And the playmaking (Jennings) only fools gold. I understand the criticism of the coach and their reluctance to play players over their head, but really, what are the other REALISTIC options. Unless Gigi, CV, or Tony Mitchell are in fact lighting it up and the coach refuses to play them (Doubtful) this disaster rests solely on Joe's back. He hired BAD coaches and then gave them a BAD roster all while the ownership demands playoffs. Ouch,

max, linwood, Lee356 and 2 others like this.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Questions I'd ask Joe if I were Tom Gores: Joe, how is it we play a lineup where we go small with Jerebko at the 4, move our starting 2 guard to SF, bring in 2 more guards (Bynum and Stuckey) to go with Drummond yet end up with a total of 1 shooter and 2 quasi-ball handlers on the floor?

The Bobcats looked like they were in a different class most of the night. It's amazing how many shooters you can get on the floor when you play guys at their natural positions. Charlotte might have backed their way into some good fortune when they added shooting to the PF spot. Sun shines on a dog's butt once in a while, I guess.

Hopefully the Pistons won't do anything rash the rest of the season like letting Drummond shoot the ball on offense. He needs to wait his turn.

The new Pistons assistant coach doesn't inspire a lot of confidence from me. Maybe it's just that he was unemployed prior to this?

I'm having a tough time envisioning the Pistons righting the ship tomorrow night in a raucous Time Warner Cable Arena. Let us pray for them please.

Lee356 likes this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I didn't get to watch this one and I'm glad, but how good is that Al Jeff signing looking now. He has completely transformed the Bobcats by giving them a legitimate last option on offense. He is old and doesn't play defense, but he makes that team so much better because he fits.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I can guarantee you, this coaching staff will put no effort at all into adjusting things for tomorrow night. They will tell the players they need more effort and otherwise completely tune out to reality.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Some adjustments that could be made for next game. One, do not play Bynum. Instead, when Stuckey comes in, have him play point, and have him drive in as much as possible, trying to get their front line into foul trouble. Doing this, Stuckey is then at least resting a player, Jennings, regardless of what else he accomplishes. Do not otherwise play Stuckey. He is not a shooting guard.

Two. Do not play Singler. Singler is can not guard anyone on the Charlotte team, so there is no place for him in the game. Singler did hit three triples. But that is due to a choice Charlotte made not to guard him, especially in the 2nd half, where both triples were made with us down 15 to 20 points, and Charlotte just simply starting to lose interest. Singler did have the one other score in the first half, where he got away with stiff arming his defender to create space.

Three. Start Pope. We need better defense. Pope, being one of our best defenders, should play most of the game, depending on how many minutes he can play with his 6 fouls. No other reason to ever take him off the floor. And never, ever, any reason to play him at small forward. Play him the whole game at shooting guard.

Next, if you play JJ, play him at small forward. The other guy to use on our front line, Mitchell.

In all, this is an 8 man rotation, with Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, Drummond starting. The three guys coming off the bench are Stuckey, JJ, and Mitchell.