Home Charlotte Bobcats Sunday Jan 6 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

KGREG...you hit the nail on the head. If you ever stop in at Hoyt let me know who you are and we can talk hoops.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Grant it, that 2nd unit won't always make shots, but that set will get us a ton of quality looks in a half court set. Stuckey's presence and need to handle the ball throws ALL of this out of whack, especially when he can't shoot or handle the ball.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Certainly!
  4. pgreenpacer

pgreenpacer Second Round Draft Pick

I am right there with you KGREG. I was getting all excited this game when I didn't see the bench brigade coming out at the beginning of the fourth quarter. I was ecstatic that L. Frank was finally coming around and was going to start closing out games with the only rotation that has worked for us in three years. I fully expected to see Daye, Bynum, Prince (because he was doing well), CV, and Drummond to finish that game and ....he....never.....did .....it. I even got worried enough that I checked the minutes played by Daye and said out loud "oh no....did Daye get injured while I was reading a bedtime story to my daughter?"

Stuckey is mucking everything up since he got back....he can't throw the oop to Drummond like Will B. can and Frank is itching to give Stuckey a lot of minutes for some reason. I say put him back in the starting lineup instead of Singler and be done with it. Hopefully our starters can finish out their 11 minute stints only giving up 10 point leads to our opposition so that our bench can pull us back in to the game each time.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that 10-13 minute stints for starters seems a bit lengthy for the NBA? I don't recall seeing rotations that lasted more than...say...8 minutes before but Frank keeps them out there forever. It seems like everyone gets real tired by minute 8 and then shots start getting worse than they already are.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

"Like"
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can tell you that a championship coach like Popovich does not get sucked in to the stationery 10 minute rotation for the starters like Frank does. If it ain't working or someone is winded, he does not wait for a foul trouble to pull him.

Frank should be swapping out as soon as Singler, Tay, Knight or Max are unconsciously tanking in the first or third or 4th qtr. But yet he sticks with them and yes you can see based on the lax defense or the 30 foot jumpers that they are tired.

We played better when Stuckey was in street clothes. Since he came back, we have struggled and held on to win two games and then lost in OT. This team is need of a guard that does not muck up everything or one of those rookie guards should be given more time to see if he can out play Singler so that both he and Stuckeys minutes are reduced....until Stuckey is traded....
    alexa032 and roscoe36 like this.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The BK-Singler backcourt have to be one of the worst backcourts for a long time in the NBA to start consequtive games on a team without injured guards . BK is making a decent case for being the worst starting PG in the league and Singler is probably not ranked higher among SG's.
    LA Dre and basketbills like this.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I spent some time on basketballreference trying to find a worse backcourt. I looked through some of the worst losing teams but couldn't find a worse combo. Maybe someone else can find one?
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Our starting unit is 50 - 50 so far. Half the time they outscore the other team. Half the time they get outscored. Not the best for sure, but at least they are not losing us games.

A far far worse combo of guards: Stuckey and Knight. Or Bynum and Stuckey. Or Knight and Bynum. All very bad.

Its not the individuals that are so bad, its pairing them together that is so bad. You take any one of them, as a point guard, and at least they are doing something good, because every unit does need a point guard. But a unit does not need a 2nd point guard, and none of these guys is any good functioning as a shooting guard.

People don't like Singler lately. But our best units all feature him. To be specific, Stuckey, Singler, Daye, CV, Drummond. Or Bynum, Singler, Daye, CV, Drummond. Both have totally rocked. Why has coach gone away from this? To run his pointless double point guard rotations that do not work at all.

One other unit has totally rocked recently. Knight, Daye, Tay, Monroe, Drummond. Why no reappearance? Again, so coach can lose games running two point guards together.

Stuckey playing is not the problem - though coach certainly makes it one. Frank makes it a problem because he insists on playing two guards at a time. And note, he played all three last game at the same time. One point guard, two totally useless basketball players out with him.
    del, alexa032 and The Panda like this.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

According to 82 games, this unit ^^^ has played less than 13 minutes together.

The most productive Daye lineup has played 30 minutes and is +26.

Bynum-Singler-Daye-Villanueva-Drummond

The second most productive Daye lineup has played 40 minutes and is +23.

Bynum-Stuckey-Daye-Villanueva-Drummond

Looking at our stats, our 3 +/- leaders are Daye, Villanueva and Drummond.

Maybe there is something to any lineup with these 3 in it.

Also, Monroe is our worst +/- player. Maybe he needs to play with Daye and Villanueva more.
  11. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

This is called spreading the floor, and it is a very basic principle. 1 slasher, 2 deep shooters

?

The pick and roll is not an offense. Nor is it unstoppable. Teams should constantly being running pick and rolls, even off the ball. It is literally the fundamental play of basketball. Mismatch mismatch mismatch.

Steve Nash won two MVP's being Steve Nash. Running a PnR with Amar'e with like a 60-70% success rate only sweetened the fact that this guy is probably the smartest/best bball IQ in the league.
    del, alexa032 and copper like this.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Larry robbed us of the first ever Swede vs Swede NBA matchup by not playing JJ. He's got an agenda against Sweden.
    roscoe36, BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I really liked the play at the end where the young Rodney put his handles and clutch shooting on full display.
    After a Lawrence Frank inbounds play gone wrong, the Stuckster started it off by dribbling the rock of his foot. He then proceeded to kick it around the floor for a few seconds until he could gather it up with two defenders on him. Dude then tossed a one-handed desperation line-drive bullet 3 pointer that almost broke the rim (over his shoulder, with his foot on the line). The shot went down! Blaha went crazy! The Pistons lost moments later!

There are very few guys in the NBA that can make that play due to the fact that they usually get sent down to the D-League prior to getting the opportunity.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

At least he didn't faint halfway through the play.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  15. BallDon'tLie

Oh man!
    You just thought of THE only possible way that that play could have been funnier!
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I can't stop laughing now at the thought of him pulling himself up off the floor to launch the shot.
  17. BallDon'tLie

Javale McGee couldn't have executed that one better!
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have alluded to the fact that Bynum is also a victim of so often being out there with poorly constructed units. The only time a two point guard system works at all is if you surround it with, 1 - a guy you have to watch very closely to try to stop from getting dunks on lobs and offensive boards, and 2 - two strong outside shooters. However, note, the stronger unit is the one with Singler in it, yet another decent outside threat, rather than the 2nd pointguard. Both do ok, but one is a near a point a minute plus vs. the other more around a point per two minutes plus.

And back to the unit of Knight, Daye, Singler, Monroe, Drummond. Even more rebounding. Even more threats to ward off around the basket. Still two decent outside shooters in Singler and Daye, with Knight being able to knock down the 3 if you leave him open. Plus its a way more defensive minded unit. What is the track record of this unit? I don't think it has been used. Close, but not quite. We have subbed in Daye for Singler to give the before mentioned unit of :Knight, Daye, Tay, Monroe, Drummond, which worked pretty darn good. No reason not to try this other version other than politics. One or the other should start for us. Politically, its the one with Tay starting. But if you really enjoy winning, its Singler who should be starting for us in this unit, not Tay.
    The Panda likes this.