Home Charlotte Bobcats Sunday Jan 6 2013

Discussion in 'January 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Charlotte Bobcats

Sunday Jan 6 2013 - 7:30 PM EST

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

TV: FS Detroit

RADIO: 97.1FM

GO PISTONS!
  2. roscoe36

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Weak defense for the Pistons in the first half.

Slow start for Daye. Poor defense, 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 assists, 2 fouls, MINUS 1.
  4. roscoe36

Garbage game. It's not over yet, but for all intents, it is.

Rubbish effort. On to the next match ...
    del likes this.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

So...I guess I (and my blood pressure) should be thankful I missed this game. I mean losing to the Bobcats? Really?:lame:
  6. copper

copper Bench Warmer

just a bad game, dre had an off night, daye only 11 minutes and that was it apparently...a few bad decisions on personnel to end the game/ start ot . we had noone that even lloked like they wanted to shoot the ball on the floor.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The easiest game on this home stand proved to be the one that frustrated the so called hot Pistons. The Pistons had a 13 pt lead with less than 5 mins left in the first half, but allowed the BCats to close the half on a 14-2 run and only lead 60-59 at the half. Although they pushed the lead back up to 8 in the 3rd qtr, it was that collapse at the end of the 2nd that was their downfall, as this game never should have been this close in the end.

The 4th qtr was a struggle, as both teams could not get it going, as the Pistons at one point had four offensive fouls in a row, two by Singler, and one each by Max and Knight. Dre kept it close with two alley oops from Bynum and a turnaround jumper of a loose rebound, but the once potent Piston bench stalled as Bynum missed at least three treys during crunch time and Daye who was 9 of 11 from the floor the other night, took only one shot tonight and was not out there when the rest of the Pistons were afraid to shoot in OT.

The Bobcats bench outscored ours 46-42, as the Pistons who scored 60 points in the first half, scored only 36 in the second half and were outscored 12-5 in the OT where they have lost for the third time without a W. Our defense let us down as they gave up several fastbreak points to the Cats..

I am starting to feel like KGREG,,.... now that we have seen BK in action for a season +, maybe we should have taken Kemba Walker instead??? Knight had one assist tonight and 12 pts compared to Kemba's who was selected two picks later had 20pts and six dimes, including dribbling around Knight for the game tying shot in regulation.

So far this season, Knight's line is 13.9, 3.7 and 4.6 assists compared to Walker's 17.8, 3.3 and 6 assists. It should be obvious to Joe that Knight is not our PG of the future unless he hires Zeke to come in and train him. Looks like the team will be too good to draft Trey Burke from Michigan, (if he declares himself for the draft, so somethings got to give here.
    basketbills likes this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Hmmm I am starting to get a bit over Knight as well.

He needs to work on his passing and just camp the perimeter. He isn't really fast enough, or a good enough dribbler to slice up the lanes all game, but he has a really nice shot and he is smart. Should play the Nash game and see where that gets him.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bad coaching. No effort from Frank at all. He ranted about all the points we gave up in the 2nd quarter, yet he is the coach who chooses to put such stellar defenders in as Bynum and CV. CV did hit 3 treys, so we can dread even more of him next game. Bynum had 9 assists, but hey, he was minus 13 in this game. For his defense, coach can't coach, and Bynum too is a victim of coach deciding to run a two point guard set that can't work pretty much the entire game.
    We started out ok. That was with Singler at shooting guard. After that, Stuckey subs for Singler. Stuckey never gets to run an offense with a shooting guard beside him. Another victim of Frank's.
    About the 3rd game in a row now CV has accomplished nothing around the basket. I mention this since I know Frank won't notice.
    Tay had it going early and often, hitting a myriad of midrangers and even one 3 from his favorite spot in the corner.
    Daye only took one shot. Only played 11 minutes. And Daye played zero seconds with a logical group of players out with him.
    Middleton, a guy who could have really helped shore up our perimeter D tonight, as usual did not play. Just pointing out we have so many options vs. playing Bynum, forcing him into the rotation.
    Monroe had quite the game, based mostly on bulling his way inside. I like that a lot. Lots of rebounds too. Drummond played great. But was also minus 13. Look what he gets for a unit to play with. A non-functional one with no shooting guard.
    For those who buy into the fantasy that Knight or Stuckey can function as shooting guards, can you count up all the triples made by these two when paired either with Bynum or the other (of Stuckey or Knight.) About 2, with lots of misses.
    Hate to mention the other team's players. But we sure made Gordon look good out there at times.
    This game saw the stellar record of the Drummond / Monroe rebounding duo take a hit on its rep, with several offensive boards given up. Statistically, that has to happen I guess.
    Why did we lose to a team that has only won twice in the last month or so? Coach has decided that Bynum must play, at all cost. For no reason.
    I wonder how many more losses we have to suffer this time before he realizes that two point guards are enough in a rotation. We already went thru all this earlier in the season. If Stuckey and Knight are healthy, that is all the point guards needed.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I give Frank an A for effort. He went with Monroe and Drummond to close out so this is a good loss to me.

I wasn't crazy about Frank's rotation choices either. There was too much Stuckey and Tay even though they both played well. They got off their spread the floor with shooters message. Those 3's Bynum was taking late in OT was because Stuckey was in there.

What could Drummond's rookie year look like without Bynum? He'd be playing 10 minutes a night scoring 2 ppg.

I think Singler could curl up in a ball at half court like a basset hound and sleep and Frank wouldn't take him out of the game.
    basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That sums it up. Stuckey's personal production comes at the expense of someone elses, because HIS game doesn't match the spread the floor set. When Bynum runs pick and roll with Dre at the top- in the middle of the floor, good things happen.......NOBODY could execute that play tonight and yield a good result. All that said we simply got outworked and out out hustled tonight. They beat us on the boards, on the break and then there were all the TO's in the 3rd qtr from all of the offensive fouls. I think Singler was trying to get his minutes back from Stuckey by proving that he can collide just as good as Jogging Rodney.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No, it's because Stuckey has to play at all cost. Truthfully.......Brandon Knight should be the odd man out, as poorly as Rodney Stuckey plays, and for as many flaws as Bynum has, BOTH are still better basketball players RIGHT NOW than Brandon Knight. If Brandon Knight was 25 years old and playing like this you all would be screaming for Joe to get rid of this guy. His youth (and draft position) seems to get him a pass.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Their guards outproduced our guards by a lot. The Pistons just can't seem to score in crunch time. I give Frank this: he tried to play other players down the stretch but still there was no offense. And the offense ground to a halt in overtime. There is just no one to run the offense when the game is on the line and no one except Stuckey wants to step up and shoot. The ball is usually given to Tay by default. Teams are onto Bynum and are jamming him up. They are also jamming up Stuckey who does not distribute the ball compounding the problem. And Knight needs skills and experience to manage a game down the stretch. Again a costly turnover late throwing the ball to Gordon. The organization needs to re=group with Knight to let the kid find his game. And Monroe must develop an overall offensive game. Monroe needs to become a go to guy in the crunch by next year.
  14. copper

copper Bench Warmer

as I see it (Im sure everyone will disagree) but I think BK has proven he is valueable as the 2 guard..he can shoot but he is not what we need as a distributor. Bynum is currently the closest thing we have to getting others involved, and that is only working when he has players with him to spread the floor. Otherwise he goes into basketball Jones mode and starts looking for his shot too much and we end up with alot of standing around, which is the same thing that is killing the starters. Our second unit has been succesful because we have Bynum driving and lobbing, or dishing and moving the ball around like a playground and whoever gets the first look is popping. As long as they are shooting, even if the shots werent dropping the defenders have to stay honest. Which gives Dre room to operate on the glass. When we dont have the shooters? the defence was able to sag in and wait for the drive or forced pass inside which was more often than not picked off. Or we farted around until the shot clock was an issue and we were forcing bad shots under durress. Coach tried some bad combos today, he did run dre with moose...but he countered any production by putting bk and tay and singler in there so we had no threats outside and no ball movement. While I mention him I think Singler has played himself out of some playing time for a while...he just looks REALLY lost out there. After all the blogs and writeups about how the spread floor was working coach seems to be forcing rotations that dont play to the strength of the spread floor. Maybe its just me
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wasn't crazy about the mixed rotation that Frank went with in crunch time.

Bynum
    Knight/Stuckey
    Prince
    Villanueva
    Monroe

When we were up 2 points and then when we were down as well? The Drummond sub ins on D made sense of course, but he was mainly left defending Kemba Walker by himself.

Nothing against any of those players, but he was mixing and matching players from the 2 units with completely different styles and it wasn't really working. And when has he ever played that unit before? I would have rather seen him stick with the starters or go 4 starters + Drummond like usual.... or just go with the bench unit when we were down.

60 points in the first half and 36 points in the 2nd half. Did Frank pop in a DVD of On Golden Pond at halftime instead of give a speech?

Oh well, can't win 50% of em I guess. This does mark the 8th game in a row that another NBA team has failed to best us in regulation!

As far as the killer in this game, it wasn't the offensive rebounds (19 to 15 in their favor). It was the turnovers and FT differential. 22 tov to 11 tov and 25 made FT's to 13. The charging fouls were pretty comical. They were all the correct calls, but the comedy was that we just kept committing them. Singler almost fouled out on charges alone.

Daye only got 1 shot attempt and a dozen minutes, but mainly because Prince was the hot hand that Frank decided to ride for nearly 42 minutes. Tay got off as many attempts at Maxiell, Singler, Daye, and Drummond combined.

Stat of the night:
    EVERY player on the Pistons had at least 1 turnover tonight. That is pretty rare.

PHO and WAS are the only 2 teams in the league with less road wins than us. We actually have a winning record at home.
  16. roscoe36

Until Monroe wants the ball at the end of games, and will take open jumpers, we will continue to have floor spacing problems, as we have a C who wants to play PF and a PF (Maxiell) who is forced to play C.

I've come to realize that when we just play loose and fast, we're decent. Not playoff caliber, but not as bad as our record.

But the truth is, we're still very dysfunctional. We have Singler starting because Stuckey is dysfunctional, Tay isolating because our sets are dysfunctional, we have Maxiell and Monroe playing out of position, we have Knight playing PG when he is best at SG. Villanueva plays the 4, but has no manner of power game.

The only players we have who are prototypes are Andre at C and Will at the 1. Andre is green and Will is Will.
    del likes this.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

At one point I saw Coach Frank on the sidelines consulting with Charlie and making a jabbing forearm motion. I'm thinking Charlie was supposed to give one of those hard fouls to Kemba Walker. I think Charlie tried but he could never get close enough to Walker to make it happen.
    linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  18. max

max All-Star

Game like this reminds me that the team still has a lot of problems. Agree with the points here.

Most frusterating things about this game for me was letting a couple of hacks dominate the offensive glass - nothing more frusterating than getting a stop only to see someone sky in for a quick put back.

Shout out to BG - nice job jamming the Pistons. Now why in the heck did you not do that against the Bulls when we had you? Not a single good game against his former team when we had him, all the Pistons ever did to him was make him very rich.

Anyway, back to reality. Hopefully the trend of a bunch of losses in a row now will not continue after losing momentum.
  19. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I... I just... this team is weird. They beat Miami and Atlanta, then lose to Charlotte at home. I know they're young, but they're frustrating, too.

First off, Stuckey, Knight, and Bynum are a three-headed albatross at guard. Put any one of them on the court and the team is fine, but pair any two of them together, and the team sucks; no pair of the three results in a positive +/- this season. I think either Stuckey or Bynum would run the court just fine with that second unit, but put them both together and they gunk up the system badly; neither one is an effective shooting guard because neither one is a threat from the outside.

Secondly, it's becoming more apparent that Frank is incapable of properly coaching close games. Argue rotations all you want throughout the games, but at the end of regulation he subbed in Bynum for Moose with :28 left, leaving a lineup of Knight, Stuckey, Bynum, Prince, and Drummond on the court. The fact is that either the Bobcats make the shot (loss) or they miss it and you've severely reduced the chance of the Pistons getting the rebound. Now, I get that he's trying to limit penetration, but look at the results... Drummond blocks Walker's layup with :20 to go, and who's on the court to get the rebound? The collection of Knight, Stuckey, Bynum, and Prince, that's who. Kidd-Gilchrist, of course, scoops up the board, giving them a second-chance, and Walker recovers to hit the tying shot with :07 left. Frank then subs Villanueva in for Drummond, which makes sense in a way because you need shooters in there, but this group has not played together as a unit, which means there's not going to be any offensive flow, and if the Pistons miss a shot there's nobody there for a possible putback. The result? Stuckey misses a long 2 and Charlotte gets the rebound with a second left. It's not like taking Drummond out allowed the floor spacing for Stuckey and/or Bynum to get into the lane, because Stuckey settled for a jumper. What it did was imbalance the team offensively, keeping them from having to defend anyone in the paint area. Stuckey couldn't drive to the hole, because everyone on the team knows that if he misses the shot the refs aren't going to call a foul, and he has nobody to pick up his missed prayers.

I hope Frank learns from this. Instead of that defensive lineup, he should have had Bynum, Knight, Daye, Max, and Drummond. Put Daye on Gilchrist, and if Gilchrist drives, Drummond scoots over to help. You still have Max back to rebound the ball. If they hit the shot anyway, then you go with Bynum, Daye, CV, Prince, and Drummond. You don't need five guys on the floor that can shoot - with seven seconds left you need a couple guys capable of getting a quick shot off in isolation and at least one guy that can crash the offensive boards in case of a miss. But Stuckey settled for a long 2 (which is not his forte), and nobody was there with a reasonable chance of getting the rebound. The Pistons had a chance in OT, but Knight makes a couple bad turnovers, Charlotte capitalizes, Detroit is playing from behind, and they couldn't hit the threes necessary to get them back in the game.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Stuckey can't execute the pick and roll. I'm just perplexed as to why folks (and coach Frank) can't grasp the simple concept. That screen/roll with Dre/Bynum surrounded by 3-three point shooters to spread the floor is unstoppable, either Will is going to get a driving lane or open mid range jumper, Dre is going to catch a lob, or the ball is going to get kicked out to a shooter; if they close on the shooter-said shooter then rotates to the other open shooter thus scrambling the defense......Steve Nash won 2 MVP's running this in Phoenix, by no means what so ever is Will Bynum another Steve Nash, but the fact is, this play is essentially unstoppable when you have the right personnel and we have the personnel to run it if Frank would stop being so stubborn.
    basketbills and copper like this.