Charlotte Bobcats Jan. 13th 7:30PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

LA Dre, very funny.

FreshPrince, I know that is the belief about Allen and if you want him to be an orthodox PG, then no, not much success. However, I think Allen's best career year ever was under Jim O'Brien when he played the PG and put up 30 ppg and 8 apg.

He can do it if the coach actually trusts him, which Jim did, but no other coach has. His second year under Jim was going rather well also up until the Chris Webber trade.

He is high risk now as the SG, however, he is still more patient than Rodney. Rodney has tasted 40 points and he hasn't been the same since. I doubt very seriously if Rodney is going to remain as the PG for the Pistons after this season. Which isn't a bad thing, but once again, will leave Richard on the outside looking in. Joe was right about Rodney, but he may have traded the wrong guard.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Naw, Rodney's cool at the point. The problem is tha there are too many mouths to feed on the court.

Let's see, you take Dyess out of the starting lineup claiming that the 5th starter should be a role player, then you start this bogus ass no chemistry having squad.

Neither Rip or Sheed should've started this last game. The team was winning with them on the sidelines, they both should have come off the bench until they were acclimated into the CURRENT system. I'm so pissed off it ain't even funny.

One last thing, Tay was avg 18ppg while our 17ppg All-Star was wearing a sportcoat, last night he got us 11pts in 40mins.........another casualty of this imbalanced roster. Limited Max, limited Amir, hardly any AA, Kwame gets a DNP-CD, and we regress our 18 ppg all-star SF back to a "Glue" guy - role player........in the meantime I've never seen Stuckey look so confused at the point as he did last night..........Did I mention how pissed off I was.....
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Welcome Star. It's very good to have someone with a different perspective to tell us when we're being homers.

However, I have to disagree with your assessment of Rodney.

Since Rodney's 40 point performance, here is how he has performed, and I'm throwing AI's numbers in for comparison. Keep in mind that AI has played heavier minutes during this period.

Stat/ RS/ AI
    Pts/ 18.3/ 17.6
    Ast/ 4.7/ 5.0
    Reb/ 4.2/ 3.1
    Stl/ 1.1/ 1.4
    TO/ 3.0/ 2.7
    FTA/ 5.0/ 4.9
    FG%/ 45%/ 39%

So, it would seem to me that Stuckey has been performing at a level at or above a first ballot hall of famer since sniffing 40.

Clearly, AI hasn't quite been himself and is in a bit of a shooting slump, but even just looking at Stuck's numbers in isolation, they are fairly impressive.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can the Pistons win another title with Rip on this team? That's what I've been wondering lately....

The worst 2-player combination that the Pistons can put on the floor is Rip and Maxiel. They are -54 in the plus/minus and -13 in the Per48.

The best Detroit 2-player combo is Stucky/Sheed at +89 plus/minus and +8.3 in the Per48.

NBA Player Pairs and Tandems! 82games.com
  5. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Maybe you think that I am suggesting that Rodney isn't playing well. That's not my intention. I think Rodney would be more productive as the SG, that's my point. He's the better outside shooter, so if he's the recipient of Allen kickouts, his scoring and wide open shots will increase, because of the attention that Allen draws.

Rodney is drawing attention on his drives, but not as much and Allen isn't a spot up shooter. He can shoot the ball, but it isn't anywhere near automatic in Detroit because it's more sporadic. You've got the wrong guys doing the wrong things, but because winning is the best deodorant, it's being overlooked.

Allen has to defer to Rodney but not vice versa. Not to mention, Allen is better at the top of the key and Rodney is still young enough to believe he can drive to the rim from anywhere on the court.

Supposedly, Allen has the green light since he doesn't have to run the offense, but in reality Rodney has been given the green light, so let him go without a conscience. Let him uphold the tradition of wearing #3 on your back. Obi Wan Iverson clearly doesn't mind.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In a nutshell you hit on the head KG.....if Rip is coming back from an injury, slowly integrate him back into the lineup by bringing him off the bench...why upset the apple care that was successful just to feed his grieving ego.:mmph:
  7. BillLaimbeer

You know, perhaps Joe D still has another move to make before this team can contend again. As Star Jones points out, Stuckey is not really a true point guard either. It almost looks closer to:
    0PG - 4SG - 1SF - 4PF -1C.

Can a team win a championship without a true point guard?
  8. yes-sir

yes-sir First Round Draft Pick

Why do i always get the feeling its my fault the pistons lose when im watching them? haha. Was watching the game last night and on the chat, and everything i said had a bad turn.

The first was "No tech's as of yet". Which recieved comments such as "dont mention techs". Then 30 seconds later, Sheed gets called with his 13th tech of the season!

Then looking at the stats before the start of the 4th, i noticed Bobcats hadn't made a 3pt fg. Then they hit 3 or 4!

Then i say with about 3/4 mins left, "lets close this out" and then we don't score again!

Other people wished for things, and they were granted! I can re-call LaDre wanting a 10 point lead, and Sheed hit one from downtown to make it 10. Then everyone wanted Stuck back in, 30 secs later, in he pops!

Should i watch another pistons game again? Dammit

On another note, baaaad loss! That should never happen
  9. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

Is Curry showcasing Rip?

There is too much talent... I would like to see AI playing his game for 15 minutes a game. Give him the ball, let him be the ballhog and see what happens. It may work.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

All GM's are familiar with Rip. No need to showcase him, especially when he's not 100%.
  11. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

Moving him to the bench before a trade wouldn't help. We are not sure what Rip's reaction would be. Among Pistons' fans (some of them) he's earning a cancer status. That's why not moving him to the bench may be a form of showcasing.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with that. If he goes unwillingly to the bench trade value may diminish. GMs might know him but reputations change quickly.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

[​IMG]

You have to define "True PG". If that means they aren't allowed to be good scorers, then I guess you can rule out Isiah and Chauncey as well.

FYI, Chauncey averaged 16.9ppg, 5.7apg in 03-04 in 35.4mpg. 16.4ppg, 5.9apg and 2.6 TO in the playoffs. Not exactly "pure point" numbers. Rodney is averaging 16.9ppg, 6.1apg per 36min this year. Except he's shooting 47% to Chauncey's 39%. I think we'll be fine with Rodney.
  14. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

In my opinion, a true PG should be a consistently EFFICIENT scorer, have a high A/TO ratio, and be a high % FT shooter. And then, obviously, there are intangibles, such as knowing their teammates proclivities, knowing when to get their own and when to look for others, knowing when to push the ball and when to settle it, remaining cool and intelligent, aggressive and unselfish, under pressure.

So I think teams can win championships without that, obviously depending on what else they've got in place. But I don't think they can win a championship without someone on the team (or a combination of players), who gets lots of minutes, carrying out those functions.

We have loads of good, even great or potentially great guards right now. But I don't think we really have a true PG or anyone fulfilling the function, not by my criteria anyway.
  15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am with you all the way on this KGreg. I turned off the tv in the third quarter, I knew they were going to lose.

I hated the chemistry that was exhibited on the floor, it was a different team last night.
  16. BillLaimbeer

If a "True PG" gets double or triple-teamed, he finds an open teammate. Stuckey does this once in a while, but he still has a long way to go. A "True PG" looks to drive and dish. Stuckey looks to drive and score. Stockton or Isiah could put up 15-20 points, but they got teammates involved and ran an offense.
  17. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

I do not understand why Dumares is still in place after all the disasters that have combined:confused:
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think your last sentence here is the key. Despite starting 9 guards, the Pistons for whatever reason never seem to force the other teams defense to rotate all that much.

Terry Fox could scramble the Piston D though.
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Cuz he's worked within BillD's deep-pockets-short-arms system to the tune of 6 straight ECF's. We get frustrated as fans for what we believe to be under-performing, but there are probably 20+ NBA owners that would hire JoeD in a heartbeat if he were available.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Isiah could put up 25 in one quarter on one leg if he wanted to.