Charlotte Bobcats Jan. 13th 7:30PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 9, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hey Star Jones nice View
    I like this observation too about Stuckey waiting to long to make a decision. In fact that was pointed out earlier in the season when he was struggling, with the TO's, >>> but he has been so productive in getting to the rack and dishing out lately most of us forgot about it.

But those decisions were once again brought to the forefront tonight down the stretch when he was not sure who to dish to and with both AI and Rip cutting or standing still waiting for the other to do it. Prior to him coming back in, in the 4th, Tay had the same problem and both wound up holding on to the ball to long and waisting a possession with a hurried shot.

Yes it nice to have your best players in there, but having AI and Rip on the floor at the same time is only going to work when the other 4 players are scoring and one of them is a decoy of some sort.

Please Joe step in here an do something..the next four games should be guaranteed winners like tonights should have been, but I can see this SB experiment splitting these games instead of sweeping them...
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Curry got too cute over-managing the game at the end. The Pistons were on a nice run, leading 78-71 with 3 minutes left and Curry pulls Iverson out of the game. The Bobcats score 5 points in the next 20 seconds and all of a sudden it's 78-76. The Pistons never score the rest of the game. There was no need to force feed Sheed in the paint when you need a score down the stretch either.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

First of all, another good defensive game. Not only was Cha getting easy buckets with mismatches, but they were making good passes and hitting contested jump shots. However, our interior defense was amazingly good, as we forced them to miss a ton of shots in the paint. And convesely, they also played some good defense on us. Holding our small ball to 10 points in the 4th quarter is not an easy feat. But this is a good example of MC's SB security blanket in the 4th quarter. We had the lead, so play defense and preserve it. No reason to turn it into a shooting contest. Start the game with SB if you have to. Go to it if you are down and you need to gamble or shake it up a bit. But don't use it to hold a lead in the 4th quarter.

Secondly, the Sheed call? I don't know how a ref could have not called that. He used his off arm twice to move Okafor's arm out of the way and made an obviously exadurated motion. And with 5 fouls already + a tech and the game tied, what was he thinking? why invite a call either way? Just stay patient, get the pass, and get a good shot off. He was getting guarded aggressively and he was frustated that he couldn't get space. He blew his cool.

Thirdly, did you all see the 2 for 1 we pulled off to end the 2nd half? That is such an obviously good bet and it is amazing that it is not recognized every single time when we have the ball with 40 seconds to go in a quarter.

The smallball report? Besides the stats mentioned previously, it gave up the most points in the 1st quarter, the 3rd quarter, and the last 5 minutes of the game. The old familiar signs, we lost the offensive rebounding battle and lost the free throw battle. Charlotte only attempted 6 3-pointers, so you know LB was forcing them inside.

However, I think this game further illustrates that we have 2 distinct styles of play, and neither of them produces a big point spread. One has offensive troubles and the other has defensive troubles.
  4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You could see it from the first minutes of the game. The entire team is too worried about headlines. No one wanted to step up.

So go the guards, so go the Pistons. Everyone has a certain image to uphold and victories should never get in the way.

Big, little or what ever you want to come up with; this team and its coach are on a perpetual archaeological dig. Work out a grid, then construct a series of grated sieves in order to find enough artifacts to construct a lost culture that died in 2004.

In our society, risk taking takes a huge toll.

Some ordinary facts within this game:

Stuckey...8/11 (38 minutes)
    AI...5/12 (37 minutes)

Bench....Pistons 6 Pt's. (61 minutes)
    Char 13 Pt's. (50 minutes)

Disregarding the love-fest with Brown (those artifacts again), he has a 6-1 guard at age 24 and drafted first round (5 by Char) that is extremely talented. Oh yes, for those AI (can play defense) haters out there: who was guarding Felton?

But, leave it to Brown, he'll screw something up. Like trading Felton or Wallace! Or not using, within his offensive schemes, a couple of Phoenix players. Give Brown enough rope.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

6. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Looking at the boxscore:
    Amir 9 min played
    Max 11 min played
    Arron 6 min played!!!
    Kwame DNP!!!

I am not even bothered to download the game to watch it.

What a frigging piece of p*ss this is.

Howmuch prove does MC need to be able to see that a "normal" bigger lineup gives him more wins.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's the real problem with this Small Ball BS. If we're going to play Small Ball then AA and Amir get cut out of the picture.

Looks like we're seeing the same thing my brother, the same thing.

The personnel is F'd up right now. This is not about should Rip or AI go to the bench. Let's take a look, we have:

1 PG - Stuckey, who when he's not on the floor the team struggles BIG TIME. The team looks out of sync when Tay, AI or Bynum are running the point.
    3 SG's - AI, Rip, & AA, and all 3 need and deserve major PT. AI needs 40 mpg to be AI, Rip needs 34-36 mpg to be effective, and AA needs at least 20 mpg for this TEAM to be effective.
    1 SF- Tayshaun, who we're wearing into the ground.
    4 PF's - Max & Amir, and while we masquerade them as centers- Sheed and Dyess are PF's.
    1 C -Kwame, the teams only true center, who we will need come playoff time, who when this team is at full strength gets a DNP-CD!!!

1PG - 3SG - 1SF -4PF -1 C. Somebody at the SG and PF spot needs to get the Eff up outta here so we can balance this lineup.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Iverson has no history of being successful running the point on any of his teams. He sets guys up, but he's a high risk passer, not a "smart" passer.

And the "holding on to the ball" effect has been a problem here for MANY years. Chauncey did it as has all of our back ups over the years. It's more a function of the offense which revolves around the bigs getting upcourt, getting position, setting picks, Rip/AI getting around them... Then, if the guard sticks with them, the play is broken down. You're left with Rodney hoping the man he's supposed to hit can go through a series of fakes to get enough daylight to pass him the ball. It's easy to end up dribbling 15 seconds off the shot clock waiting for all of this to develop. This is why we have been amongst the slowest teams in the league the last 6 years or so.

We don't have the bruiser bigs up front that haul down the court, establish position, then just toss to them. Sheed has to have a set play run to get him semi-decent position most of the time. Same thing for Tay.

This all reminds me of another issue with small ball. Smalls aren't good at setting screens. The likelyhood of one of the off-guards getting open off screens is much lower than when you've got 2 bigs that now how to set a good screen. Considering how much our "set plays" revolve around this, it's a big issue.

My only big issue with Rodney right now is the fact that he defers to the vets far too often in the 4th quarter. He had no bussiness taking only 1 shot in the 4th quarter tonight when he was the only guy who had his shot going tonight consistently.
  9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I dunno. Reading recaps. MC laughed at the face of bench players. Go figure.

If that statement "we need our 5 best players out there" applies to the rest of the season, we can call it a season already.

Disgusting.

Now I know how NY fans feel.
  10. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

"we need our 5 best players out there"
    Thing is that the players individually might be their best but not as a team.
  11. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Could you repeat those meanderings?
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very excellent point, Menace.
  13. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I wanna slap Curry.
  14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I'm all for it if it is for the second unit. Stuckey needs to run the first unit with Rip and let AI run the second unit with AA.:sherlock:
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The day the music died. Yesterday reminded me of the time last year when Flip said he was shortening the rotation so they could incorporate Stuckey.

This is about roster imbalance and not about rotations. Moving AI or TG to the bench isn't going to cure that. Is it really feasible to think that Curry can just randomly sit AI, TG or Stuckey at the end of each game? Ginobli may come off the bench, but SA has no problem getting him on the floor to close games.

As long as AI & TG are on the team there will be no rotation. No rotation equals no roles.

The good news is if this roster remains the same after the trade deadline then we can act like we're on the last game of a long road trip, put a stamp on the season and mail it in because they'll be going nowhere. There will be no need to worry at that point.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is what our Olympic team learned the hard way.

Joe put a rookie coach in a tough spot with the CB trade by double stacking two all-stars at the SG spot. Phil Jackson would find this challenging.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One other thing, just for the record.

You know the 32 minutes of big ball thing that MC was talking about?

It turned out to be 19:56 of BB last night compared to 28:04 SB.

For the night, SB was -3 and BB was +1. And this was at home at full strength against the 13th best team in the EC, who we supposedly match up well against with SB.

I'm not saying this limited data set is much to go by, but the troubling part to me is that MC justified his SB decision by declaring that it will only be for a limited time (16 minutes), but then he didn't actually have the discipline to do what he knew was right during the first game after his statement. :faint2:
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dude, I feel you, but Curry is a very big man, who is not afraid to go into battle wearing a well tailored table cloth.

Do what he does, and find someone smaller, and weaker than you to slap.
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Listen to roscoe, latinoking, roscoe has learned this lesson in a hard way....:lecturer:

Anyway, irregardless of opponent and playing style, Pistons has won those games more closely than I'd like to see.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Is a coach who wears a table cloth in public really concerned about public opinion? I think not.

He did look a bit uncomfortable in the post game press conference when the inevitable SB question came up but he seems to be digging in his heels and doing the opposite of what makes sense.

Of course, he could just be a table cloth wearing genius who, as an earlier poster mentioned, is just wanting to show the team that it ain't going to work unless he gets a willing volunteer to come off the bench.