Charlotte Bobcats Jan. 13th 7:30PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 9, 2009.

1. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A stupid loss. As usual for professional sports, the officials determine the outcome of a game. You cannot make that call at that time. Felton will never play another game like that this year. The offense looked absolutely terrible. Hectic, no direction, no leader.

And on a sad note, Sheed comes back and the referees are at it again. I think this is more of the anti-sheed thing with the refs and it is hurting the pistons more and more.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sheed fouled out.
    Felton got hot.
    LB's team scored out of a crucial timeout.
    Rip got a block on Okafor.
    Dice controlled the boards.
    Tayshaun looked strong.
    Stuckey missed a few FTs.
    Maxiell had a few power plays.
    Amir has tons of energy.

The season was not won or lost on January 13th.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

10pts in 4th Q . tay and AI and stuckey played nearly 40 min. What is the point of playing them so much if all you got is 10 pts in 4th q???????????????????????????????

This team looks like now 1st round loser in POs

I'm not pissed off from loss put MC's total lack of authority

In this case he is not better than Flip.

I do not care of excuses. Normally, Pistons should rout Charlotte.
  4. NYPistonFan729

Because we have a coach that is coaching scared and he needs to grow a couple.
  5. max

max All-Star

They all appeared too nice out there in crunch time. Not wanting to take someone else's shot and ended up not getting anything done.

Could have really used that point from the tech.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You forgot to add
    Sheed is back and got a tech
    Amir did get his avergage of a foul every 2 mins
    Tay waisted clock management on at least 3-4 plays
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's because Curry coaches according to ego, not actual strategy. Everything was highlighted in this loss. Rip can't play with the bench players. Rip/AI struggle together w/o Stuck. Tay running point again. AI being too passive.

There was effort on defense even with SB, but it's useless. We built a lead going big, gave it back going small and with some stupid rotations. Outrebounded. Outshot.

Amir with 9 min. AA with blink and you'll miss him min. 10 pts in the 4th quarter. These two players are crucial to winning. I thought Curry realized this with his whole i need Amir in the game, AA is everything i want a pistons player to be, etc.

If we're going to continue to play this lineup we might as well just tank to get a good draft pick.

He played one earlier this year against BOS. Felton is actually good. And he's going to be hot if you're letting him get into a groove.

Am i see things or did Rip/AI avoid eachother as much as possible ?
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

True.

I was proud of Sheed for not getting the tech after the 6th foul. I was worried for a minute.

Amir is a foul machine.

I also noticed that the Bobcats really muscled Stuckey all game. I wonder if that was part of Larry's strategy?
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Why should I bother to write this one up any further? You got it summed up about perfect already. But alas, habit I guess. Back to work.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

What the? I'm following the game on the web, we're up by 8, time to eat dinner, come back and we lost? To the Bobcats? What is going on with this team?
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not sure, but maybe we should ask John Hottinger how overated we are with a MC Balless
  12. NYPistonFan729

I just don't understand why dumars/curry have not figured this thing out. There was no direction on the court. Should have kept billups if you are not going to put the ball in AI hands down the stretch. The only thing Tay does is hold on to the ball then passes it when there is 5 second or less. I want AI to go to the bench. That is the only answer. Rip is a below average ball handler and has trouble creating his own shot, he cannot lead the 2nd unit. AI is an above average ball handler and can create his own shot. AI's chemistry with Affalo and Dyess was starting to form really well. WTF

Okay Felton has had a couple of decent game, a guy can get hot once in a while, but the game was lost because of the philosophy of dumars/curry.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If you ever eat dinner again, you will be sorry. :heh:
  14. NYPistonFan729

I like MC Balless.........perfect description.
  15. roscoe36

It's too many scorers on the court. No matter who starts and does not start, Rip/Stuckey/AI are going to have overlap where all 3 are in the game, and we will go away from Sheed and Tay.

We were winning without Rip and Sheed because everything was simple, everyone knew their role, and they could just go out and play hard.

With the three guards, everyone is deferring to everyone else.
  16. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

I suspect that the players know full well that this line-up won't work. Currey may fast be approaching the moment when he must man up and make a decision or lose the respect of the team.

On the bright side this ridiculous loss will give Rip or AI perfect cover to "volunteer" to come off the bench.
  17. NYPistonFan729

So what's the solution? Better preparation by the coaching staff. The offense was crazy. It seems to me you have three shooting guards out there. What's the solution?
  18. roscoe36

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Curry's smallballs are rubbing off on the team.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Back to full strength. Or not? You see, we have a coach who does not understand the concept of using a strong, deep team to an advantage. Instead, he cripples his team by leaving players out. Where was Kwame? We just won 8 of 10, and Kwame played a ton during that. Where is he? Does Dyess have to play 24 minutes a game. Is that a sacred number?

Where was Jason Maxiell in the 2nd half? We won the first half, with Jason playing a good deal. Again, Jason was heavily involved in the 8 of 10 wins we just got. Where did he go? He did play 3 minutes in that 2nd half, so we can't holler at Curry and demand an explanation for him not playing in the 2nd half. But guess what Mr. Curry, I am demanding an explanation. Three minutes is rediculous.

Amir went from starter, to guest appearance at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter. Sound like a broken record by now. We just won 8 of 10, mostly with Amir starting.

And guess who is the key to us winning games? Not Stuckey. Afflalo. Afflalo did not play in the 2nd half. Gee, and our perimeter D broke down a bit at the end. It will happen every time.

So, basically, what is Curry doing? He is trying to recreate 2005. Tay, Rip, Sheed, Dyess, AI as a substitute in his mind for Billlups. Guess what Curry, this is 4 years later. You are not going to a darn blessed thing in this league trying to feature old men. Play the youth. The same youth that has won you games lately.

A lot of small ball. Not too much maybe in the 1st half? Well, Charlotte got 20 points in the paint on us in the early going of the game. That did not help. For sure, our defense was lacking often - and not for any deficiency from any of our players - but from a coach's decision not to put a actual NBA team on the floor. In the 2nd half, it started out the same, but when Sheed got into foul trouble, Curry reverted to small ball. Quite disastrous. For the game, about 24 minutes of small ball. Too much.

End of game. Curry is unwise enough not to put in Afflalo for a big defensive play. We lose on a shot with Stuckey, a guy with a bad back, and a guy who is just not that good on perimeter D, letting the game winner go in way too easily. Bad coaching.

Player by player:

Stuckey started off quite brilliantly, hitting about everything he put up. Outside shots, a drive to the hoop where he went thru contact while in the air, driving from the front to the right of the basket before making the shot. Yeah, and he missed a rather easy layup. Go figure. But for the most part, he was really on in the first half, ending up with 20 points I believe. He even made a three.

AI did some good stuff, getting inside for layups both in the half court and on a fast break. Shot across the land from right to left and buried a floater, Hit an outside shot or two. Missed the potential tying basket with .7 on the clock. At least he got a decent shot up. Darn.

Afflalo. Missed several shots. Still good to see him take them. Failure is the best teacher. He also made some nice passes, and of course, played good D. I do not like at all the fact that Afflalo did not play in the 2nd half.

Bynum. Good to see him play. Especially with Stuckey having a bad back. He hit an outside shot and made on floater in the lane. Not bad. But he did not get to play in the 2nd half. Seems Curry had a memory failure? Hey, Stuckey has a bad back. He certainly did not need to be out there to start the 4th quarter. Bad coaching.

Rip. Missed some shots. Probably rust. But made several in the 2nd half. Nice block from behind on Okafur (sp). I can't say how good his D was, but Charlotte did not seem to burning him directly. (They had a size mismatch there - which they seemed not to be trying to exploit. Or maybe the Pistons were protecting him by switching Tay onto whoever had the ball between their two forwards. I will have to study the film.)

Tay. Kind of invisible. He made some shots, including a three. Two duck unders made. He for some odd reason, was called upon to run the point a bit in the 4th quarter. Probably the largest reason of all we only scored 10 that quarter. I am a firm believer in that poor point guard play can not only mess up the play at hand, but actually disorganize a team something fierce as to where its just hard to get it back.

Amir. Pretty much nothing. Rotated well defensively, and thats it. His 2nd foul in the first half was an offensive one, miscommunicating with Stuckey on whether the pick even needed to be set. But hey, I am pretty sure Curry only planned on playing Amir the 9 minutes he got. Remember - JMAX got no more - what did he do? Amir did help bat one board back out to us, and we got a triple made off that.

JMAX was effective fighting for 2nd chance points for us. Good D. Thats about it.

Sheed. Good game. Good defense. Got inside plenty for lots of points and made a couple of threes.

Dyess. Got bounds, made one outside shot. Absolutely would be lost if you put him under the basket on offense - for lack of ever having been there tonight. I do not like that. Played fine D on Okafur.

Kwame did not play. Herrmann did not play. Acker did not dress. Sharpe is still in the D-League?

Well, there you go. A healthy roster. Ten guys used in the rotation. But yet, look closer, and you will see the 2nd half featured only 6 guys who played 5 minutes or more. The starters, and Dyess. Sound familiar? It should. Thats old. Not wanted. Stale. Never will win a thing in this league, no way, not ever. Get a grip Curry. You were doing ok in the first half, and then you either choked, which is ok since you are a rookie, or far worse - you actually planned this mess? I sincerely hope not.