Charley Rosen's take on Darko Milicic

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Zoso, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LanierFan

Imagine that! An interesting exhibition season. How often can we say that? It's actually going to be worth watching. It should give us a glimpse of things to come. Usually, I can't wait for it to end. This year, I'm really looking forward to it.
  2. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

actually if i recall correctly the few games that were televised on nba tv were some of darko's worst summer league games. i think he had a good game but it was not televised. like you said his euro games weren't televised either but there are highlights on the web for you to see.

i don't think darko was shy about physical play because of the other guys were too tough for him. but i really think it's because of darko's difference in attitude about the competion. he's simply not going to let some guy hanging onto a nba career by a threat mess up his bright future cause the other guy wants to play like a mad man. now in meaningful minutes i've never seen darko back down to anybody even shaq. that's the biggest difference between the euro tourney and summer league. the euro tourney was seen as meaningful minutes by darko.

also there was a coaching change in those months too. he probably wanted to show flip and the pistons what he could do that's why he played well in the euro tourney. showing lb what he could do in summer league was not worth the effort because lb wasn't going to play him anyway. that can be a reason why there is a difference in darko's game.
  3. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I agree with everything Rosen said (even though he is a hack), except for the selfish part. The reality is (and I dare anyone to argue these points) that he's shown flashes of brilliance, flashes of being a bust, and has been given zero chance to show if he's one or the other.

Darko may be unique in professional sports history, I cant think of a #2 pick in any sport that wasnt given minutes his first couple of season to see if he could at least play (except maybe Philip Rivers, and you can only play one QB at a time). With Flip coaching, come all star break, no will be arguing Darko. What there will be will be a ton of I told you so's, cause either he'll prove he's a bust, or he'll show he's got some game. My money is on him having some game.
  4. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Well Said sir

Nuff said pal, you hit the nail square on the head my friend. Even a blind man could see how much of a blatant hater/moron this so called sports reporter is... Can the man even spell the word objectivity, SHEESH!
  5. Tyskillz

BTW you guys telling these ridiculous falsehoods about how well Darko played in the Vegas Summer League really ought to be ashamed of yourselves, seriously! Kaman clearly bested young Darko and I'm not even going to talk about how he was ruthlessly DUNKED on vs the hornets, no need for any of us to lie about it folks. I mean seriously if Darko played well then Maxiel, Acker, and A. Johnson (who actually played well) must be perennial freckin all-stars, RIGHT?!?
  6. bball jay

actually congoman is the only one of us that actually went to the games. the rest of you just saw a few games on tv. which weren't his best games of summer league i might add. so i'll take the opinion of a guy that was actually there and saw more than any of the rest of us. summer league game is more suited for guys doing individual things. darko is a team player and excels at it. nobody even said darko dominated the summer league he just didn't play up to expectations. i think lb still being here had something to do with it. i also think the extended garbage time atmosphere had a lot to do with it.
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

...didn't play up to Detroit Pistons fan's expectations. I think that if you don't sport the red blue and white colors early November, you have already probably given up on Darko. We are the only ones it seems to be pulling for young fella.
  8. dthrush

dthrush Second Round Draft Pick

darko

I would like to see Darko aggresively attack the boards.He seems way to passive to me.Kind of the deer in the headlights look of Joey Harrington.
    Hope he has a brighter future than Joey.
  9. bball jay

yup. i agree i'm one of the biggest darko supporters. if you look at the top 5 thread he's one of my favorites. i think the kid has major game. i dont' think he'll be average i think he's going to be great. i am not one of those fans that say they are hoping he proves them wrong. i believe it that darko is what he was hyped to be. he's shown me enough to make me a believer. there will be more converts after preseason.

well even the coaching staff said he didn't play up to expectations. i expected his performance in summer league to be more like his performance in serbia. i guess he was just shaking the rust off in summer league he hadn't played for 2 years after all.
  10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I believe Darko will be a solid player for years... maybe not the star caliber that scouts pegged him as....let's just hope it comes soon enough so that he remains on the team when he starts to reach his prime.

Nobody wants to train a high priced prospect for someone else.
  11. Tyskillz

chill with the excuses, please

Seriously even a vague attempt at pushing off DMC's subpar summer league performances on LB is just way beyond pathetic folks, seriously. I mean we are indeed trying to move on here so let's just quit dwelling on the past already. Also I was commenting on the same game that congo was there to see my friend, not some game that was not televised. Therefore his opinion only takes presidence on games that the rest of had no access to. The word domination never came out of my mouth either, however disappointment and not meeting expectations are right on point with what I felt and have stated.
  12. bball jay

not taking into account what lb did to the guy is exactly what a true fan wouldn't do. he had no confidence and hadn't played for 2 years. these are direct results of lb. he also had no idea that the lb era was coming to an end. so he knew no matter what he did it wouldn't change his place with lb.

you said summer league. which means every game in the whole short season. you weren't there for every game so you can't say he had a bad summer league. you can only say he had a bad game during summer league.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If Darko becomes good like I think this team will have a much higher chance of winning the trophy. It would be really useful if he got a little bit stronger so he could check Shaq, or Duncan if our bigs get bullied by the refs in a big game again.
  14. Tyskillz

a True fan is objective

Indeed Larry has somewhat hindered DMC's development, but to state crap like:
    "nobody even said darko dominated the summer league he just didn't play up to expectations. i think lb still being here had something to do with it."
    That is an obvious cruch to continue not holding the kid accountable for anything, I mean come on it's got to stop somewhere bball, DAMN! Next thing you know we'll be in the middle of the season and you (and others) will be tracing him missing a few rebounds or whatever way back to lb. When it's all said and done Darko will never be at fault for any of his own short comings, he'll forever and ever have a convenient excuse/cruch to lean on at this rate. Seriously where does it end for crying out loud? The ever so convenient lb excuse is no longer an option anymore my friend, it's put up or shut up time. Please discontinue using it because it simply no longer holds weight...
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think it all goes back to Darko's relationship with his mother. You see she stopped breast feeding him at an early age and...

:hurt:
  16. bball jay

it ends when darko gets consistent burn from flip. it will end this preseason. it actually ended for me when darko went to europe. he played great without lb's catheter in his face. but when you bring up things that happened under lb's regime then you will have to take into account things larry did. talk about summer league and you will hear about lb. talk about the previous 2 years and you will hear about lb. simple as that.

i think darko has shaken off the stuff lb did to him. his confidence is back up and he's ready to roll and show the world why we picked him # 2. he's ready for what effectively is his rookie year. he will have big games and a few bad ones but we will see what we have. darko can't be broken he's still standing.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Low also went to the summer league games and provided substantial reports on the players he saw.

http://www.pistonsforum.com/summerleague/
    -
  18. bball jay

correction. actually congoman is the only one that is posting on this thread that went to the games.
  19. M4Babbie

M4Babbie Second Round Draft Pick

I think Darko will be able to get significant playing time off the bench. BUt i do not see him as the kind of player that willmake any allstar teams. I think that within the next few years he will make a nice contribution to the Pistons off the bench.
  20. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

cool! Didn't know this existed!