Celtic Collapse

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jun 22, 2009.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

"For me as a fan the building approach seems more fun than the gunslinger approach, but then I'd probably also be cheering if the Pistons brought in a couple of short term ringers and made a run next year. Maybe I'm just cheap." DBA

Hear ya. Building a team is a laborious process of trying to fit what look like the perfect jigsaw pieces into the puzzle only to find that sharp edge that rules the piece wrong. It takes patience. Patience on the part of the GM, Coaches, Trainers and Fans. It takes time.

While I often have disagreements over the choice of players rostered and choice of players given floor time, I try to never personalize to the point of player or coach hating. I certainly disliked Rothstein and felt Irvine was softer than warm butter. But I don't cross the line into hating, spewing, spitting or obsessing. The one thing you learn as you age is everything changes. That is the only true constant besides taxes and the grim reapers arrival at your doorstep.

If you follow a lot of the sports boards, the teams that go gun slinging seem to have the least patient fans doing the posting. It's pretty much all black and white, no shades of grey. That's the flip side of the Ainge angle. You live by the sword you'll likely die by it. The fans you called up from the floor cracks will call for your head as easy as they suck breath.

Sterns approach is more in tune with growing a substantial fan base that will one day support the local taxes needed to build that new state of the art arena.

In Boston and LA, that might not matter as much because the markets are so huge. But in Charlotte, Oklahoma, Milwaukee and soon even Detroit you can't afford to whizz on your own leg if you expect to become a longterm pro sports fixture in your marketplace.

I prefer the method Detroit has been utilizing even with its obvious warts. Though from my view in the cheap seats it looks right now that Coach Curry is in the same class with Rothstein and Irvine and not Gentry or Carlisle. I'm pretty sure I'll spend next season telling myself, "time grasshopper, time..."
  2. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Great post G. Really puts things into perspective. I do feel that Celtics team was an anomaly. The way they were built in one off season is nothing like the way those Bulls, Spurs, Lakers, and Pistons, championship teams were built. Likely not to be repeated for many years to come.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Great write-up on the Celts G-man!

I guess for my part, I'd cheer for the Pistons no matter how they contend, but if we continue our ways of building a team and sustaining success, I'd be more proud of the team I'm cheering for. It's because you have actually accomplished something that very few franchises can.