1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Cb

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by anakin, Jul 12, 2006.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Chauncey's very reasonable (and short-term) contract could probably lure a capped-out team into sending us a good young player on a longer deal. But we'd basically be tanking 2007, since there's no way we can replace his production per-dollar.

I would write more, but I'm just too tired.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

thanks for working the TVSL, Nier

3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

You're very welcome, man, but I was just making fun of Chauncey. :)

4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I've been saying Chauncey and Dale for Devin Harris, Stack (would have said Daniels, but he was already moved), and Diop for a while. We get the young shotblocking/rebounding 7 footer to fill some of Ben's void on that end and the PG for the future (Harris) with speed.

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

But what does Dallas get, besides older?

I haven't done the math so I might be wrong on this, but they're so far over the cap that a couple of small expiring contracts wouldn't seem to matter. Seems like the Mavs would want to keep their combination as is for another run, now that Terry's just been re-signed. Harris seems like a better understudy than Billups.

6. FreshPrince22

They get a finals MVP. They get the final piece to the puzzle. Another guy who can hit big shots for them in the playoffs. Terry is and always has been a 2 guard in a PG's body. He played a ton of 2 in the playoffs. Chauncey would just run the point and move Terry to the SG spot. It's not about expiring deals at all. Dallas gets a guy who came in 4th in MVP voting the previous year without losing any of their top 3 players. What's for them to dislike? A little future is a small price to pay to significantly increase your chances now.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I don't like that. We already have Acker and Blalock. Chauncey just can't stand a lot of minutes unfortunantly, but he's good. I don't want 3 young point gaurds. Keep CB unless he asks for too much.

8. FreshPrince22

Acker ain't a PG, and Blalock hasn't shown much of anything yet and we're still talking summer league competition. They're both 60th picks in the draft. Neither are starter material. Harris has already shown what he can do on the biggest stage, and his game fits in perfectly with the new style NBA of putting pressure on the D with speed.

Also, the point would be to avoid the "if he asks for too much" scenario that we went through with Ben. Letting this play out till next year is not an idea that intrigues me. If we aren't "contenders" I don't see the point in re-signing a 31 year old PG to a Ben-esque deal anyways (Bill D won't like it either), so he'll end up walking with nothing in return, just like Ben did. And like Ben, since his contract is so small, we get no cap space to try to fill that void. At which point we become a late-lotto team untill some contracts come off the books.

Again, the scenario changed for me when Ben walked with nothing in return. The team isn't garbage now, but the team that got knocked out early this past year just got quite a bit worse. That's why I'm for a rebuild. If we aren't going to win more titles with this group, I don't see the point in keeping them together. Chauncey may be good, but he's not young anymore, and you can't build around him. He's not that good.

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That's why Joe will probably try seeing what Chauncey wants during the season like he did with Tay. If he wants too much then of course trade him, but if he's doing good and doesn't ask for too much I say we keep him and make a move to get a good player come midseason to try to win it all again.

10. V!et

V!et First Round Draft Pick

Who could stand a lot of minutes? I'm pretty sure most if not all of the Pistons Starters were tired, but just haven't said anything publicly yet. They still were played a lot, and you can't blame them.

11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Let`s face it folks, CB`s time is about up here in Detroit. He has a ring and a Finals MVP to show for it. I am begining to wonder about his motivation and will to win.

To say after this season that he was tired and couldn`t perform because he was fatigued is a very weak excuse for a hungry veteran player who was Finals MVP 2 years ago and in the running for league MVP this year.

I am not saying he wasn`t tired but for God`s sake please don`t use that as an excuse. You think Shaq`s fat ass wasn`t tired after going deep into the playoffs for 3 straight years?

If his boy Flip couldn`t motivate him, or utilize him in a way he would be most effective last year, what are we to look forward to in 2006-07?

I respect CB and what he has done in his career, however, I see his best years behind him.

PG`s don`t grow on trees, and since we didn`t get Speedy, perhaps we need to start developing our youth.

I hope I am wrong and CB has something left, as long as he doesn`t play what, 30-32 MPG??

12. FreshPrince22

Isn't this what we did with Ben? Tayshaun was a much different situation because he's young, he would have been a restricted free agent, and he didn't have nearly the hype around the league as "MVP" Chauncey. No matter what anyone offered we could at least demand a sign and trade. This is not the case with Chauncey. Nobody knows what teams will be willing to throw at him. It's not Chauncey that scares me, it's the other teams out there. The ones willing to give Ben 15M per year. Would you really want to have to match a 15M per, 5 year deal and lock into Chauncey that long for that kind of $$$ given the current situation of the team? I know I wouldn't.

Besides that, I just haven't even liked his attitude lately. He's too full of himself.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I say wait til midseason. If he's being Chauncey of 04 I don't want him to leave. There will be very little talk about him being MVP so lets wait and see if he's full of himself after that.