Cavs Want to Pay LeBron...ALOT

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by aurora, Jul 1, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

ESPN banner says that the Cavs are offering LeBron James $80 million for 5 years.

That really should be enough money for him to stay. But I read somewhere there is a clause that his endorsements will give a $100 million bonus if he goes to one of the major markets-- NY, LA or Chicago. I don't have a link for that, I read it somewhere on this forum during the Pistons/Cavs series. Could be a NBA rumour without merit.

Anyway, $80 million. That's alot of money.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

When LeBron is available to be bid upon by other teams (assuming he doesn't sign an extension before he hits the market), the most another team can offer him is...

$12,000,000 over 5 years with fixed 8% raises based on the first year.

So

Year 1 ~ $12,000,000
    Year 2 ~ $12,960,000
    Year 3 ~ $13,920,000
    Year 4 ~ $14,880,000
    Year 5 ~ $15,840,000

That's $69.6 million. The loss in guaranteed income is $10.4 million. BUT... I'm assuming the Cavs are offering a 6 year deal which is actually disadvantageous to LBJ because his next contract will make him even more money. Let's not forget that he'll by 27 or 28 when he's shopping for his 3rd contract.

Anyway, do you blow off $10.4 to get $100 million in a major market? Maybe. The big market teams don't have their finances in place to be far enough under the cap at the end of next season. He might have to actually take less guaranteed salary to hit his endorsement bonus, in which case the actual total income difference between say, playing in NY vs. Cleveland begins to shrink.

If he wants out, it will be because his endorsement money is guaranteed and he forces a sign & trade to NY, LA or (I'm assuming) Chicago.

3. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Today, LeBron looks like a hall of fame lock with titles and multiple league MVP awards before he's done. But what if he gets hurt and doesn't come back from it all the way? Unless he can get insurance against that type of injury, I think he's smarter to sign the extension now. It's still an insane amount of money, and it's safer. And if he decides he doesn't like Cleveland someday, he can probably just whine his way out of town.

4. roscoe36

lurker, that is why Amare re-upped, and look at how smart that was.

I agree wholeheartedly with your reasoning.

LBJ has said that he wants to be a billionaire. It's a specific goal of his.

Playing in small market Cleveland however runs counter to that goal if the rumours about endorsement money are correct.

5. lurker

I had forgotten about the billionaire thing. It's a very laudable goal that I'm sure we all support. In fact, I'm going to go max out my credit card on LeBron gear to help him out.

With NBA salaries being what they are, it's hard to make real money without the major market endorsements. I just hope LeBron remembers to conduct himself in an appropriate manner at all times (e.g., don't get arrested for doing something weird).

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The League would love for King James to be in New York or Chicago. They already have Wade in small market Miami so King James will likely be on the move. He is saying all the right things but like it has been said he leaves a lot of the endorsment money on hte table if he stays with the Cavs. The Cavs really don't have much of a team around Lebron now so I could see him leaving.

7. #1Burn02

#1Burn02 Second Round Draft Pick

I don't understand why James, Wade, and Melo are taking all this money from there teams. How are they suppose to build a team around them with the money the superstar is making. Wade I guess is an exception because of Shaq but in 2-3 years when Shaq can't grab rebounds or block shots and can only dunk the ball there gonna have to go to a youth movement also.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If your boss wanted to give you a huge raise, would you tell him no? That you'd rather take less money so that he could bring in other talented people to work there as well?

Its not the employee's responsibility to manage the company's books. If they're offering the money, as a player, you take it and laugh all the way to the bank!

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Maybe someone already pointed this out but:

Lebron 5 years at 80 million = about 16 million a year

Ben 4 years at 60 million= 15 million a year.

Am I missing something??? (seriously)

I mean..Lebron is young. He can do it all.

Ben...OK, he plays D very well, but he's getting up there in age and cannot even hit a doggone free throw for all the tea in China.

I can't blame Dumars for not signing him. I don't like the way we ended up with nothing, but I think it was just an unfortunate sequence of events that led up to it.

I think this is an important year for Joe. It should tell us a lot about some of the choices he's made in the past.

10. lurker

I was under the impression that LeBron's deal is just the same maximum contract for the 2003 draft class that Wade and Melo are getting. (If I'm wrong I'm sure I will be immediately corrected and subjected to a barrage of noncreative insults.)

So what would LeBron get if there was no limit? I bet someone would offer him something like $25M.

11. max

max All-Star

yes no doubt it would set a new record. Before the new rules have to keep in mind the contracts players like KG and Shaq got. Adjust that for a higher cap and it probably would have topped over 25mil/season.

12. roscoe36

Based on years of service, the "maximum salary" is defined.

Something Yoda would say.

Salary large will be if seeking you are the maximum.

Ben's maximum first year salary (for a new deal) was around $16.7 million.

13. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

and Lebron accepted it (4 years-$80million) That's a lot of money, but thats what superstars get paid these days.

14. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

actually it was 5 years-$80 million-still a lot of money though. Cleveland fans are happy though.

15. #1Burn02

#1Burn02 Second Round Draft Pick

Yeah I guess so. Lebron keeps talking about bringing a championship to Cleveland but how are they gonna do that with mediocre players.

16. jammertime

I do see where you're coming from though. But its hard to blame the player in that situation. If the team is the one offering the contract, its hard to refuse.

And if anyone deserves a max deal, I'd say its Lebron.

17. jammertime

18. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Just heard on HDSPORTS on Dish Network that Lebron is now signing a 4 year 60 mil deal instead of the 5 year 80 mil deal, and Carmelo want the same kind of deal in Denver.

Seems like they both are looking forward to 2011 when the cap structure will be changed and they can sign for 6 years for as much as 150 mill!!!!!!!!! DAMN.........:whoo:

Don`t know how true that is, anybody have the scoop on what gives in 2011???

19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I wonder if Dagobert Duck....erm, Davidson would spend such an amount of money on Lebron? Or would he tell Joe to let him pass and get a player to fill the hole he leaves?
    That would be someone like... FLip Murray?

20. jammertime

Wait a second, 4 years $60 million. Isn't that the exact same deal Ben signed in Chicago? Wow.