Carlos Delfino

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Hotsauce, Sep 4, 2005.

1. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

watch some of the games my friend. the pistons lack scoring not defense. we were actually a great defensive team last year as we always were. delfino isn't exactly a slouch on defense he plays the passing lanes very well and rebounds the ball very well. he just doesn't have the foot speed yet to check quicker nba sf and sg. he more than makes up for it on offense. if you check out what lindsey does to the pistons often he comes into the game and stops the other team a few times but then he stops us every time on offense. pistons need to adjust to the new rules of the league and play offense too. the rules have been changed to allow more offense and delfino is one of the pistons to take advantage of that because he will drive to the hole. we can't win with defense alone. that's why we have about 6 shot blockers on the bench to help with dribble penetration.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Still waiting for this to happen... Nothing tangible yet.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Los Dos

I think that both Carlos's need to be more agressive offensively. They were afraid of LB and were too tentative. Even though neither one was hitting jumpers last year, it looks like they have the ability if given a little freedom to look for their shot. Ham, Dupree, Hunter, Ben... those guys should definately not look for their shot.
  4. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Look bball please hear/read what I'm saying clearly dude... I know we need an offensive infusion and I hope CD and others provide that this season. With that said he STILL has to make a better effort defensively man, I'm sorry guy but the matador defense routine just does NOT fly around here PERIOD! Nobody expects him to be like Tayshaun, Ben, or Lindsay on the defensive end but just not such a liability/weak link that can be exploited. Please believe that opponents look for weak links and look to take advantage of them over and over again throughout the course of a game. If Corliss and Rip (both not great defenders, but no longer liabilities either) can step it up and improve defensively so can Delfino, therefore he gets NO free pass on the defensive end my friend as you attempting to give him. Just use your common sense here man, if a coach allows certain to get away with not playing D and then demands it of others he becomes a giant hypocrite. Double standards are wrong on any level pal....

By the way you are absolutely correct about how much of a "ball stopper" Lindsay is many times on the offensive end of the floor. I noticed many times as others would swing the ball around fluently he would just hold it for far too long and then his decision making was rather poor at times too.
  5. bball jay

i'm not giving him a free pass. i'm saying delfino plays d in a different way. i said he gets steals and rebounds. his defensive style is more suited to the zone defense. but i will agree that he can put more effort into keeping his man in front of him. but remember he wasn't 100% for the majority of the time he was playing.

double standards are a part of life. every player doesn't have the tools to be great on both ends of the court that's why it's a team game. delfino can make up for others on the offensive end and the rest of the team can make up for him on the defensive end. sometimes we need points and putting more defensive players on the court ain't going to do that. simply put we sometimes need a guy to come in and light it up. delfino might just be that guy.
  6. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

not Piston material

i think the only place this guy makes an impact is in Lee's fantasies. SOFT, BABY, and NO D playing PUNK. Trade him or cut him. whatever.
  7. ovee99

ovee99 Second Round Draft Pick

Delfino situation more interesting than Darko's

That Depth chart is right on the money. I think watching to see who doesn't make the cut, whether it be Dupree, or someone else will be the interesting story this pre-season.

Yes, Los Dos certainly need to be given a fair shake this time around. The results of playing a bigger chunk of the roster through the season and into the playoffs will reep huge benefits. This is a tremendous factor in why Joe D didn't dig too deep in the off-season acquisitions.

DD, Mo Evans, PT for LosDos, the Draft Picks, DMC's emergence as the #2 pick will all come to fruition this season and in years to come!

Pistons Dynasty! :usa2:

"DPFANsince78"
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

According to LB None of The Non-Americans Had Heart

Darko, Zelly, Memet and Delfino. Brown's complaint against them was all the same. No heart and inadequate defense. I don't ever recall Brown saying that about any of the American born players on the team except for maybe Corliss.

I think that there is a pattern there. Brown never has and never will like and trust non-American born and trained players. This is even more so after his Olympic Squad last year got their butts busted good by the foreign borns.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Didn't Brown trade for Toni Kukoc in Philly?
  10. max

max All-Star

Delfino/Evans

Someone has to get PT. Can both be part of the rotation with Arroyo?

I know Delfino had problems with Brown but Brown did play him during the season when he was available and Delfino did not impress me. Especially after he came back from the injury.

I just can't see any place for Delfino unless he beats out Evans in the pre-season.
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Brown and Kukoc

Kukoc played a total of 80 games over 2 years under Brown.

Philly got him from Chicago in 99-00 as part of a three way trade with Chicago and Golden State. To get him Brown gave up Larry Hughes who is now putting up gigantic numbers for Washington.

The next year in 2001 Brown traded Kukoc along with Ratliff and Nazr Mohammed to Atlanta for Mutombo and Roshown McLeod. Mutombo went on to become defensive player of the year that year. Again Brown's emphasis on defense. Mutombo and AI almost got Brown the NBA title that year as Philly got beat by the Lakers in 5 games in the finals.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I still think Delfino never should of got surgery on his knee because now he probably will never be the same. I hope I'm wrong though because don't you guys remember last year's preseason? He hit the game-winning 3 in the first game, and he almost every game he could cut inside the other teams defense.
  13. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Delfino - PreSeason

last year was pretty decent. He displayed the ability to pump up the crowd with some game-changing plays. I just finished watching the Pre-Season game against Minnesota from last season and after watching it I have a good feeling about both Delfino and Darko. They are both young and both EXCEPTIONAL AND WILLING PASSERS. It's nice to have players who are willing to fore-go taking all the shots when another guy has a layup. Delfino was pretty good in this game, he was pulling rebounds and putting the ball on the floor and setting up teammates on the fastbreak. He was reaching in on help-side defense and disrupting the other teams passing and plays. He got 2-3 steals and rebounded well. He did struggle with his turnovers but from what I could tell it was more not knowing teammates than "bad" passes. He was hitting guys where they should've been. This kid will be fine and he should easily give the Pistons 15 productive minutes per night. I'm not worried at all.
  14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Delfino

Does he truly want to play basketball? That's what I want to know. Plaiying with injuries is part of the game. I can understand being frustrated with LB but you still have to be professional. Sulking and not trying to compete to the fullest of your abilty on the court hurts your team.

I can't stand :mad2: Delfino right now but I am willing to give him a chance to redeem himself by showing up for training camp in shape and ready to contribute and work hard.
  15. bball jay

he did play hurt that's how the knee got worse to the point where he needed surgery. he has mentioned his knee before the surgery and lb told made comments that players need to learn the difference between being hurt and injured. he wants to play basketball definitely but he definitely didn't want to play for lb. that's totally understandable. lb is gone delfino is here i'm rooting for him.
  16. Winless Wonders

bball jay:

I would have agreed with you if he atleast showed up during the summer league. LB was not there.:boxing: No reason to be disinterested in playing ball.
  17. bball jay

lb was not fired yet though. delfino knows that summer league is just a place to show your skills to your coaching staff. he knew that if lb was still our coach no matter how he played it didn't matter he wasn't going to play. lets see how he plays for flip. lb doesn't have to be physically in the room to have an effect on players. just like when gar was coaching he was afraid to go against lb's rotation. lb was still running things from afar.
  18. Winless Wonders

Okay bball jay.

Like I said in my earlier post I am going to wipe the slate clean and give Delfino a chance. At the same time if he arrives to camp out of shape and still has a chip on his shoulder I hope that you would also see the need for him to be shipped out of town on the next thing smoking.:usa2:
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

ALMOST as good as the bloodflow excuse. Very close. :)
  20. Winless Wonders

That's a good one Micro. LOL!! I totally forgot about the blood flow to the legs excuse. Maybe we should start a top 10 excuse list as to why Delfino has not shown his skills on the court.