Carlos Arroyo and Flip

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by puertoricanballer, Sep 16, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Not bad!
  2. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

i'd like to throw Mo' Evans in there to see what he can do too. maybe in place to Tayshaun, just so that Tay can get rest. of course, it'll be risky with the inexperience, but if that unit can find a groove....watch out. that lineup could run other team's second units out of the gym..
  3. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Late entry to the Slow Carlos Discussion

KGreg has a very good point. Arroyo has a slow first step. It is terribly evident when on defense. He, like Delfino can be left behind in as few as two steps.
    Offensively, Arroyo is more tricky than quick of foot. My observation is that he relies on an ability to change direction in a blink, which creates separation with his defender. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as used effectively.
    He has shown a tendancy to blow the open layup.
  4. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Late entry?

If he's slow or not is up to debate. Speed is only good when it is combine with savvy and skills. Carlos is a pass first PG. He's not looking for his shot all the time, because this team have too many offensive weapons and his job is to be a playmaker for others to score. Knowledge of the game and taking advantages of the mistmatches should go along with speed for a player to be effective.
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Yea, I toyed with putting Mo Evans in there, but I figured I'd put tayshaun in there to be the "veteran scorer" of the group. So, if they get in half-court situation Tayshaun can post up. That lineup also gives us 3 guys (4 if darko starts showing the ball-handling we heard about in the pre-draft) who can push the ball up the floor and run the point.

I would love to see Darko in the High-post (ala KG) with Delfino slashing to the basket. Darko is a very good passer for 7-1, and I think he'd work well in that system that Flip used in Minny.

Another thing I notced with Darko in Europe is that he needs to face-up and take his man off the dribble more. He did it once in their 3rd game of Eurobasket, and litterally blew by his man for a layup. The ball just rimmed out, but that's something he'll adjust to. He really has incredible quickness for a player his size.

Sorry for getting off track BTW.