Can Bonzi Wells, Rose & G. Hill all fit on the Pistons Roster? Pick Two

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 10, 2006.

1. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

It seems to me that Delfino is a shooting guard plain and simple no matter how much we want him to be a "swingman". I don't think he matches up well against SFs. Since Joe has stated that he has told Flip to play Delfino more it stands to reason that Delk may not be back. That being said, the next pressing need would be to relieve Tayshawn, making Hill the logical choice to do that. I'm not in favor of the point forward concept because we still need a quick penetrator. It is for that same reason that I don't like Jalen, not quick enough. Wells is a wild card that I would be willing to take a chance on. We still don't, though, address our primary need: A BIG MAN DOWN LOW.
  2. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Low, you really that down on Bonzi? Being out west, you've probably seen his act a bit more close up than we have in Detroit. So I respect your opinion from that perspective.

However, didn't Bonzi eat our lunch this year when we played him? He looked very much like a "go to" scorer - which is exactly what we need off our bench.

Alas, I have to sigh and agree that Flip probably can't handle him and probably wouldn't play him anyway - so it would probably be a waste of money and a roster spot to bring him here.

But dang it, he's got the kind of game we need!
  3. MOTOWNMAN

MOTOWNMAN Second Round Draft Pick

love to see Bonzi in Pistons uniform. But Grant Hill? Love the guy he is a classy guy but he cannot play. He wont make it for 3 months before getting injured. I like the idea of sam cassell for a back up to chauncey. WHy not trade sheed and delfino for KG? If we could get KG and only give up 1 starter then it is a no brainer!
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

KG trades will involve two starters or McDyess and a starter.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We won't get KG. Enough with him!
  6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Let's just say his arrival to Detroit would liken itself to say...the Sean Elliott or Joe Smith acquisition. Looks great on paper, always seems to play well against us, but at the end of the day we'll regret that move ever having been made.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

But Low, just think, we could use bonzi to lure KG...:P
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

If we get Bonzi, and then lure KG, I think Trent Hassell might be available. Then we could use Trent to lure Wally Szerbiak...
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

billups for banks...Linwood you are on to something here.
    Sup Dup back in da house!
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Then we can trade our GM for the best GM in the world Kevin McHale:rolleyes:.
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I knew someone was going to get it to that.
  12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Why does everyone want KG? IMO he will bring us no closer to a ship than we have been the last couple of years.

Now, if we could get him with our current roster, then maybe we might do something. The past between KG and Flip scares the hell out of me. With CB a former T-Wolf getting all this so called freedom, what da hell would KG get?

A free pass to do whatever he likes...............I dont think so..
  13. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think Garnett plays with a lot of passion. More than Sheed. Also, he gives the team a post presence that it sorely needs. Another thing Sheed doesn't do consistently. Garnett's 2005-2006 per-game numbers vs. Sheed's:

KG: 21.8 pts, 12.7 reb, 4.1 assists, 1.37 stls, 1.41 blocks, 56.2 FG %

Sheed: 15.1 pts, 6.8 reb, 2.3 assists, 1.03 stls, 1.63 blocks, 43.0 FG %

Power forwards are supposed to score and rebound and KG does. And how hungry would that guy be for a ring? The guy is a superstar, he posts up, and he commands double teams. What's not to like? KG is the type of guy the Pistons have rarely had and have always needed.
  15. Dlev59

Don`t be fooled by KG`s #s, he has to hit those #s for the Wolves to be successful. His entire career he has been the go-to guy. I am not saying he couldn`t flourish in an offense where he doesn`t have to be Mr Everything, just not sure if he and Flip and our current players would have that chemistry, that`s all.
  16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

He's also far less talented as a post player than Rasheed is, and despite being the focal point of the offense rather than just a spot-up jumpshooter as Sheed is used in Flip's offense, he nonetheless takes nearly as many jumpshots (70% for Garnett as compared to 84% for Sheed - or 56% for Tim Duncan).

In other words, he's not a post player. His one high-percentage move in the post is a turnaround jumpshot from the left block, basically the same fadeaway jumper that people are so eager to criticize Sheed for taking.

What Kevin Garnett does do extremely well, is rebound. He's twice the rebounder that Sheed is. And he's a more assertive player than Sheed is; he will demand the ball. But, those are the only things he does better than Rasheed Wallace. MVP or not, object of worship for stats geeks or not, the man is not a difference-maker.

And that's without even getting into the minutes he's put on his body, or that ridiculous contract. Or, for instance, the other starter the Pistons would have to package with Sheed in order to acquire that contract and his once-in-his-career-out-of-the-first-round superstar self. Just say no to Kevin Garnett.
  17. ggazoo69

If Sheed is so talented in the post, what's he doing chucking up all those three-pointers?

He's never had the supporting cast to make a difference.

Don't know about you guys but I'm getting tired of the "We have the best starting 5 in basketball" mantra. Who gives a isht if it amounts to a runnerup finish in the ECF?
  18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

If this page is white with red and blue, why does Google sell fish? Sheed is "chucking up all those three-pointers" first because that's his role in Flip's offense, second because it's not his personality to break plays and dominate on the block, and third because his supporting cast (Billups) can't make a post entry pass even if they wanted to. Talent has little to nothing to do with results.
    A truly great player can take a lousy supporting cast to the playoffs, and a mediocre one out of the first round. Remember Carl Herrera and Earl Cureton? They played double-digit minutes in the playoffs for the '94 Rockets, and Dream dragged them kicking and screaming to at title. David Robinson, a virtual clone of KG (except he played center instead of small forward) nearly beat him the next year with Avery Johnson and Vinnie Del Negro as starters. Garnett has failed where others have not.
    I agree.
  19. ggazoo69

Oh, they can make entry passes. Sheed and Billups just rather play the 2-man game 27 feet from the basket. That's all. It's much easier to throw up 3 balls then to work for something down low. I understand that. But if you work for stuff down low, the open 3-ball comes much easier.

You make a good point to counter my "talented cast" argument. I still think KG would look pretty good alongside Ben, Chauncey, Tay and Rip. That being said, I don't dislike Sheed at all. I think it's Flip's offensive scheme I dislike, and Sheed's role in it. What seemed so difficult to defend in the regular season resulted in fewer points during the playoffs.
  20. Dlev59

So do I, however take away one more of the four mentioned for that to happen. That`s what I dont like, not to mention Flip coaching them!!!!!!