Can Bonzi Wells, Rose & G. Hill all fit on the Pistons Roster? Pick Two

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 10, 2006.

1. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Hill and Rose are both 33, but Bonzi is only 29, and it looks like he has had a pretty limited history of injuries (he missed 7 games a year ago with a herniated disk--they're no fun :P).

It seems that Bonzi is not exactly Grant Hill in the character department. However, he did average 23 points and 12 boards in the playoffs this year. How many Pistons did that? In either category? Zero.

Ok, so he's a jerk. Suit him up. :nod:

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bonzi is a definite. Both Hill and Rose are x factors at this point as we don't know how much either has left in the tank. Both can handle the ball and play the point if needed..but shouldn't Joe be looking for a pure PG?? The question is can Rose still post up effectively and does Hill still have enough bounce in the step/ankle to slash like he did in his heyday.

I like the choices, but I still think he should be looking at another BIG man to play inside because all we had last season was Ben since both forwards avoided it like the plague and Dice was strictly a fading jumpshooter. We don't need a darko, cato or davis to sit on the bench for insurance like they did last year. We need that 4th big man to back up the Wallaces and Dice, and actually get some real minutes in every game...

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm fine with Bonzi coming here. I want Delfino to get playing time a lot and he can still get it even if Bonzi comes. Carlos can play the point well so I would definantly not mind Bonzi getting signed here.

4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

LMAO :P

5. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

No one has suggested how we might get Bonzi. He made 8 mil last season. After a pretty fantastic playoff run his stock is definitely up. So. I'm guessing it can only be through a S&T, unless he is feeling amazingly fil-in-throp-ic and will accept our paltry 5 mil MLE.

Who gets traded.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, but Joe also made that same "commitment" to Darko, and look how that turned out.

Joe could just be talking up Delfino to increase his trade value, or just to try and appease him. Or he could actually mean what he says, but why let the dude rot on the bench all season if you're so committed to him? Why wait until your season is over? Didn't the Darko Experiment teach them anything?

If Flip has taught me anything, its not to trust what guys say to the media. It doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy messed up world.
    They can talk all they want in the media, but I want to see them talking with their actions during the games.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Wells had a solid playoffs and a decent but injury plagued regular season. Since his last deal, he's developed a rep as a malcontent.

We do have Dupree's trade exception to utilize before October. It's not much, but it would help. Ideally, S&T Cato for Wells. Chicago could use the height...

I learned that last year during the Larry Brown drama. Actions speak louder than words. Too much playing to the masses and political correctness to derive anything worthwhile from the promises that are made.

8. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'd say if we can, we should get Hill.

Rose has been nothing but a whining has been.

I think Hill in the locker room would be a good step to getting back the "workman" attitude. Not the 5 Sheeds we saw this year.

Wells and Rose... attitude is a problem.

Dump Mo Evans. Let Hill get minutes at the 2 & 3, and give Delfino minutes at 1 and 3. Let Hunter and Kato go. Give Acker minutes at the 1 and 2. Bring Johnson, Davis, and Maxiell in to keep the bigs fresh. Still look for a stong, post-up big man... but there may not be any available.

BTW - Amir is 6'10" - 6'11". How does he keep getting mentioned as a SF? He needs to bulk up and pound the paint. We don't need another SF.

9. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Bonzi Wells? Doesn't he have a reputation as a no defense playing, only showing up in a contract year, locker room cancer?

10. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I'm thinking if we can have two then Hill and Wells for me.

Hill can play the point and would be the emotional favorite. He is a good guy even if he went away but like you guys said, we wouldn't have had our success without him going away.

Wells, well, I still question his makeup whether his work ethic is there or if he will buy into the Pistons way but no question about the talent.

Well, worse comes to worst, Hill gets injured, Wells goes crazy and our rookies Amir and JMax get time to play.

11. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

That's what folks are trying to tell me.

12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Bonzi is an unrestricted free agent, don't know how much money he is seeking, but he has always wanted to play in detroit. It's whether or not he would accept the MLE.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Only sign one guy and that one guy is Bonzi. I would hate to see Delfino ride the pine when he has shown that he can ball.

14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh my God. In a BETUS.COM article Roscoe posted I just read that Delfino is a point guard!:doh:

"Talented point guard Carlos Delfino is apparently ready to fly the coop."

:sorry: Sorry, if so dumb not to know, but I really haven't paid that much attention to any of the guys that never got to play let alone their positions. Why didn't he play more? :confused: We needed a backup point guard to spell Chauncey with all those minutes he was playing. And also to take him out more often when he was playing poorly. Aaargh. :frusty: I kept hearing how since Arroyo left, no backup point guard. What was the matter with Delfino? In a few of those playoff games, he couldn't have played any worse than Chauncey was, especially in a few of the Cleveland games. Wow, I hope I this guy stays and I get to see him play next year. I have a thing for point guards.:eyebrows:

15. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Delfino is not a point guard. He's a pretty good ballhandler and passer for a 2 or 3, and could conceivably run the offense, but he's 6-7, 230, and while he's had a few good defensive stands against point guard-sized players, I'm not sure he would be effective full time. If you wanted him to run the offense, you'd probably need a small guard like Lindsey Hunter (or Alex Acker :fingerscr ) playing off the ball.

I don't have an objection to using point forwards, but I don't think you can use Delfino (or Prince, or Hill for that matter) at point along with a big 2 like Wells or Rose for extended periods of time.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Like ahb just said he isn't a point gaurd, but he can play that position though. He plays SF/SG like Mo Evans and Evans got the minutes over him. Delfino could have played in the backcourt with Lindsey or Delk but flip never gave him minutes even though he played good. I think Mo and Tony Delk will be gone, and if we get a Bonzi Wells or another guy on the wing I want to see Delfino in the backcourt.

17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Okay, so sorry. I read that article with the assumption that the columnist had a clue.

So Delfino isn't a point guard. Damn. :mad:

Point forwards?!? I'm in way over my head. :help: :yield:

18. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Yea, really Tony Delk is a great partner for Delfino if used properly. Tony wants to be a scorer and spot-up shooter. Delfino wants to be a distributer. All Flip needs to do is have Tony guard PGs and Delfino guard SGs, but switch roles on offense. Instead, he seems to love letting Delk get killed by bigger SGs and letting Lindsey chuck away from the PG spot.

19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

No way in hell Flip can handle a personality like Bonzi Wells. Bonzi would eat Mr. Softie alive!

Rose plays no "D", which might be alright if we continue to mold this team after Flip and concentrate on offense.

Hill would be a nice compliment for the locker room with limited minutes, Arnie Kander, leadership, and a strong desire for redemption.

Basically, I say hell nawlllll to all of the options except for Hill if we can somehow get him for the veteran minimum.

BTW, I've been on a bit of a sabbaticle. It's good to be back with my PF.com family. :)

20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

On Election Day, vote NO on Bonzi.

You guys have got to be kidding me, Bonzi Wells? Flip already isn't going to play the guy cause he's not a starter. He'll get even fewer minutes because he's not Mo. Then you think he's going to sit there and be a team player.

Feel free to hope against hope, but that would be a very very bad move. Why don't we just get a little further away from playing hard on both ends of the floor and outworking other teams. Why don't we just sign right up for the D. Stern "Stars Rewards" program and go chasing every "20-point scorer" we can find in order to Free Throw our way back to the top of the mountain?