Can Bonzi Wells, Rose & G. Hill all fit on the Pistons Roster? Pick Two

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 10, 2006.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Today's Detroit News is hearing it from unknown sources that Dumars has targeted G Hill & J. Rose (If abuy out happens) and Bonzi Wells.

If all three appear to be available, it would not be feasible to have all three of these players sign, it would essentially create the worst logjam at the small foward/swing position in the history of pistons basketball.

Not a bad problem to have, just trying to find playing time. I guess if Delk, Mo Evans & Delfino goes, it would not be too bad. Playing time would be the problem.

If I had to pick two out of the bunch, it would be Jalen Rose & Bonzi Wells. I am still trying to get over my Grant Hillerism.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

What a gentleman and a great ambassador for the game Grant Hill is. He has fought with courage and grace through numerous injuries and not once did he give up! He has a "can do" attitude and he is someone who everyone would want their sons to be like.

He is humble and softspoken. Not one to brag about his many accomplishments and yet he has risen to the pinnacle of acheivement in the world of professional basketball. No doubt he has not been looked on favorably by the basketball Gods at times but instead of crying "why me" he chose to say "why not me" and fight back much like Christopher Reeve and his positive attutude and fight against his tragc disability.

With studies showing 99.999% percent of the players in the NBA are no good whining overpaid crybabies I say let's sign the only good guy left in the NBA. Mr. Grant Hill.
  3. max

max All-Star

armygirl - we only have the mid-level to spend so it can only be 1. Jalen to me looks done. I actually would love to have Hill back, he would be my emotional choice. I know he burned us and I was very upset at the time but that was 5 years ago and our success would not have been possible if he had not left. Since then I believe he has been genuine in his claim to have been rooting for the Pistons after the 1st round and I would be willing to forgive and forget. It would be nice to watch him finish his career here.

Problem is he would get injured and let us down. Bonzi would be the safe bet. Bonzi is the guy if we want to improve the team.

I only hope we do not blow it with Amir Johnson. Kind of the same thing with Darko where a proven vet is signed for all the backup mins that he would have played. I understand the reliability factor and all I just hope Flip can still find at least 5 MPG for the kidd.
  4. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I was surprised that Joe made such a strong comitment to Delfino before exploring trade options... he's already comited to not trading him...

As Max says if we add one of these vets then A.J. has very little chance of gaining PT... but is he even ready for SF minutes... not likely to break a team down off the dribble... not know as a solid perimiter game... he seems more like a swing man between PF & SF.

If we sign Rose, Hill or Wells they're gonna command more than 15 MPG... I don't think Bonzi would be happy with the minutes we could give him unless he could have SG & SF minutes off the bench.

Bonzi would give us the best answer for more than just one year.
  5. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If I were to pick 2, I'll definitely go for Hill and Wells. Hill is a versatile player where he can play the point to small forward. His defense is not bad either. Wells would be a very good back up to Rip and Prince. And should we go 'small ball', he can also play the PF position. Meanwhile, Hill can be a very good tutor on the bench to our young guys in Delfino (provided he is not traded), Amir and Jmax. If Hill do come back, we don't need Hunter and we don't need to look for another back up point guard.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yes we do. Or we'll see Chauncey have nothing left come playoff time. I say get 1 forward, 1 PG, and 1 big man.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

With Hill and Prince takin turns at the point, where they have proven that they can be good at, CB does not have to play more than 35 min a game in the regular season. With Wells as a capable back up to Prince, Prince does not have to average more than 35 min a game too playing both positions. Both Hill and Wells can be effective averaging 10 - 15 min a game.

Come playoff, CB can average 40 min a game and still be fresh.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Than that gives more minutes to Prince. That lineup would work great, but next season I'm hoping that we get 5 guys that can all come off the bench and the starters only average 30 or less minutes per game. I doubt that will happen though. I want one of those quick gaurds who can penetrate because that seems to be doing good for teams now.
  9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I guess once I take off the blinders, Hill would be the ideal choice as you have previously stated, Hill eliminates the need for another point guard because he is a solid point forward, one of the best.

We would definitely have a solid bench. We really need to groom the rooks Maxiel and Johnson this year, no excuses.

Every team seem to have those young guys who were drafted behind the big name guys and have excelled in the NBA. They were given minutes conducive to them establishing their game, as a result they have been successful.

No more seasons not giving the Rookies minutes. Amir is a diamond in the rough, he needs to play.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I say if we are to get 2 out of the 3 get Rose and Bonzi. A bench of Rose, Wells, Maxiell, Amir, and Dice would be so good. I think Jalen could do so much better than Hill could for us right now.
  11. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Bonzi is it. Jalen? Come on. Maybe if he came here for the vet's minimum or something. But I'm not willing to give him Delf's minutes so why bother?

Hill ain't healthy, I'll believe it when I see Grant himself say it. Didn't he just have possibly career-ending surgery for his hernia problems or whatever he was dealing with this season? I've not seen anything about him since then and I'm not going to believe Rob "I write my articles from inside my own ass" Parker about it. It's a nice story, but its NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Bonzi is the only real option. This isn't a retirement home, 3 once Detroit/MI players all coming home in the same year? Bah.
  12. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I want to know who installed lighting in there so he could see to write.
    But it's a nice pipedream.I agree, Wells if Joe is looking and he is interested is the likely choice.Beyond that a healthy and that is a big if Hill would be a great addition to the bench.I didn't get to watch or follow Rose to much last year but I didn't hear of much of an impact from what I recall.

With Joe you just don't know when all the names were thrown out there initially I don't remember Delk being one of them so....stay tuned.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nostalgia is the enemy of progress.

The only player out of those three in his prime is Wells.

If Hill was healthy, well, he's an All-Star. But he's never healthy. You cannot trust his body.

Rose is a chucker. he can pass and board a little, he's pretty good from the FT line, but all those years in Toronto really crushed his soul. It would be risky to look at a guy like that.

Btw, I hope everyone understands that Hill and Rose are under contract this year, each at $16 million dollars. Maybe we could get one for Sheed, Mo and our Dupree Trade Exception...

EDIT: Just say the buyout stuff. I guess I should put my glasses on. I don't see anyone buying out a $16 million dollar player, but hey, stranger things have happened.
  14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Wells is the only one of those who appeals to me, and even so his history of being a cancer has me worried. Hill is 100% finished, and Rose would make us long for the lockdown defense of Arroyo and Evans.
  15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

The article is a pipe dream. I wonder who Parker's source was? Joe has committed to Delfino, so why would he want 2 dinosaurs or Bonzi? Bonzi, I can understand, him and Delfino would make a nice 2-3 combo coming off of the bench, but what are the odds he signs for the MLE?

No way Orlando or NY give up the expiring contracts of GHill and Jalen for anything the Pistons can offer, except maybe Ben.
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Delfino is better than all these guys defensively. If I had to get 2 out of the 3 I'd get rose and bonzi but of course we don't have to. I say get a back up pg that can penetrate. Than we get a big post up center. If we still can get someone else than get a wingman, but I;m fine with giving Delfino the back up time. We need a PG and C off the bench more right now than another SG/SF.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i think arnie could keep hill healthy enough. wells + hill would be cool, although i'd be fine with just wells. if hill came back and was healthy that would leave delfino as the odd man out...and probably the end of delk. i can still see lindsey coming back.
  18. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Joe needs to start getting some balance, age-wise, on the court. I think that is why he committed so early to Delfino. Otherwise, we will be very old, very soon. Joe answered the "how much gas is left in the engine" question pretty well the other day, but you know he still has questions about it.

Bonzi would be OK. But we are locking ourselves into another guy in his 30's while almost guaranteeing that we will lose another year for our younger players.

Rose/Hill: I would hate to invest so much into aging players only to watch them flame out in the playoffs again. Adding talented 34/35 year old point forwards looks good on paper, I'm just not sure how much they would help next June, not to mention 2008, 2009...
  19. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Bonzi. He's the youngest and on the rise. We thought Vince Carter was washed up, but somehow become rejuvanated in New Jersey. The same could happen with Jalen. Grant Hill has the heart of a Lion with the attitude of a lamb. He's a wonder to watch when healthy. We have had 2 successful seasons with Dyess, so the same could happen with Hill. Just in case Allen Houston starts making noise of a comeback...no!! Hopefully Delfino has a break out year.

1. Bonzi
    2. Jalen
    3. Hill
    4. Houston
  20. max

max All-Star

Jzc - has Hill ever played point? I know Orlando and Detroit used to talk about it but I don't think he actually did it.

When Dumars says something like ( Delfino is not going anywhere ) Translation - If you want him come strong with an offer because I am not giving him away. Once something gets out about a player wanting to be delt you will never get fair trade value for him.

I would be surprosed if we got Bonzi though. Namely since he is a decent FA prospect so his contract amount and length would be too much. Commit to him for 5 years and any potential prospects are pretty much done. I kind of like keeping that spot open for someone to step up. Problem is Flip has to start playing guys who have potential.

And what about backup point? Cannot rely on Hunter at his age and Acker never impressed me. We have to sign a player who can play some point.