C.J. McCollum

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 18, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

the workouts I saw with oladipo showed him making an extremely high percentage of threes (unguarded of course). I'm not convinced that his shooting with be bad. love his tude and the prospect of having a guy that wants to be a stopper.

2. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

The funny thing is, people keep questioning whether McCollum is a true point guard or not. Calling him a tweener. Saying that's a problem. Because he's bigger, because he can score, etc...etc...etc...

People. Trey Burke is not a true point guard. He is a 5-11 SG. He is a poor-man's Iverson. He doesn't have great point guard vision - - he's never, ever going to be CP3.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

cp3 is a pretty high standard to measure a draft pick against. even billups is asking for a lot... but burke could be as good as chauncey, couldnt he?

4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Still on the bandwagon with McCollum. Drafting this guy and trading Stuckey is so obvious it makes my head hurt. I think CJ will be this years Drummond. The foot injury really stopped him from being a top 5 pick. If he plays well in his first season he gives us flexibility regarding Knight. Still on the fence with him. I'd like to keep Calderon around for another year if possible for that veteran leadership and to pass on his experience.

Smoooth likes this.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think CJ's future as a Piston hinges on Dumars looking at the roster and the FA landscape. If he's comfortable with minor additions and tweaks we get CJ. If we are looking to overhaul, MCW. If he wants to retire and eat buckets of popcorn...Shabazz.

6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Your first sentence and last is right-on. I say that if he picks the traditional way and hits the local crew from the draft summations, then he has wasted this years pick. It is best to solidify a very respectful foundation and that is to accumulate more depth with a large/young front line. This year has some very solid and higher value big guys. Solidify on what the rest of the league understands, in that these athletic fellows allow you to fill in the rest of the smaller pieces. And those latter pieces are everywhere, especially when you have cap room and a reasonably wide bench.

Slippy likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Draft a big guy on potential and trade him?

That can work as we are taking on salary, not trying to lose it. TWolves might take the bait on a stretch 4.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't want to draft a young, promising, exciting player and trade him.

I want to trade/cut/release/sell/scare/hide these players: Stuckey, Villenueva, and Maxiel.

pass99 likes this.
  9. dannyduberstein

dannyduberstein Second Round Draft Pick

This is the second time I've heard someone on this board say McCollum is more of a natural PG than Burke. What's the justification for this? Burke averaged 6.8 assists while McCollum averaged 2.9. Burke's assist to TO ratio is much better as well.

It boggles my mind.

The Panda, Nemo, linwood and 2 others like this.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Have you watched his three minute YouTube highlight reel?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

coynejeremy and BallDon'tLie like this.
  11. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Duberstein back from the dead!

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

One name that hasn't seemed to develop much traction around here is that of Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

He is a pure shooting guard standing 6'6 showing a nice shooting stroke with 3pt range and solid defensive capabilities.

KCP is being compared to such players as Rip Hamilton, Michael Redd, Kerry Kittles and Klay Thompson with increased defensive potential.

With his ability to stretch the floor and come off screens he seems like he could be a solid option for Detroit at the 8th pick if they aren't overwhelmed by another prospect.
    I think having a player like him on the roster would allow Brandon Knight to switch back over to the PG (which I am all for) and provide BK with another option on offense that he hasn't had before.
    KCP plays similarly to Rip by coming off screens and popping quick jumpers. Over 70% of his offense is based on mid range and 3pt jump shots which he shoots very well.
    This could make BK's life much easier by not forcing him to be so creative with the ball and rather have him wait for KCP to run the screens and then just provide a simple pass for a J.
    It worked for Detroit in the past with Rip and Chauncey (by keeping it simple) and we already have Dre and Moose.
    Worth considering?

13. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

He's worth considering. I saw him against Indiana, and he looked bad. I saw him against USC, and he looked great. I saw him against Kentucky, and he looked bad again. His stats for the year are padded by playing against some bad teams. He has some nice tools. Workouts against top prospects will be important for him.