BYU

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by coynejeremy, Sep 4, 2011.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. coynejeremy

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Famous alum:

[​IMG]
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Thrilling win yesterday. Congratulations to your team.

Linebacker Kyle Van Noy recovered a fumble in the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown as BYU came back to beat Mississippi 14-13 Saturday in the season opener for both teams. BYU trailed 13-0 early in the fourth quarter, but Jake Heaps hit Ross Apo for a 19-yard touchdown with 9:52 remaining to pull within 13-7. Less than five minutes later, BYU’s defensive pressure forced Ole Miss quarterback Zack Stoudt to fumble, and Van Noy jumped on the football to cap a stunning comeback.

BYU rallies to beat Mississippi, 14-13 - College Football - Rivals.com.

Texas (next), Utah, Oregon State, TCU on the agenda. It's going to be very interesting seeing how the move to "Independent" works out. Should be a fun season.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

He was kinda slimey towards female reporters...
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm on the bandwagon.
  7. Nemo

BYU won an Iffy game against Mississippi. They may have their hands full against an improved Texas team this week. An interesting matchup since both teams are currently big questions concerning their potential this year...[STRIKE][STRIKE]and their conferences next.[/STRIKE]..[/STRIKE]
  8. coynejeremy

Yeah, we were very fortunate to get a win. However, I'm happy to see we took the punishment from their offensive line and were able to hold them to a low score. We had old friends from Ohio who visited this weekend. The husband drove down with some other friends to catch the game in person. (I was working, so I didn't go). When he came back up he said the Ole Miss fans were absolutely the nicest people he's ever met in his life. They were welcomed from the moment they got there and everyone was very complimentary and hospitable to them with a lot of congratulatory words after the game as well. That "southern hospitality" is really something.
  9. Darth Tater

Teams that can save the Big 12

While there is a lot of talk recently about realignment, the threat of suit by Baylor and that fact that both Kansas State and Kansas have stood up to object the destruction of the Big 12 are slowing things down. Texas A&M is complaining about being held hostage, but these schools have every right to stand up and prepare to defend themselves if this means damaging their future.

BYU
    Brigham Young University went independent starting this season, leaving the Mountain West right before Boise State moved in. The entire plan for the MWC was to have Boise State join a conference with Utah, BYU and TCU and make a push for BCS status. Then, all three of those teams bolted while Boise State arrived, and it is worse now than it was before Boise State arrived. BYU chose to go independent, expecting to sit on equal ground with a school like Notre Dame, but word is that the Big 12 and BYU have been in contact about the chance of it joining the conference as the 10th team, replacing Texas A&M. It would be a great addition, would allow BYU to finally get into a BCS conference and strengthen the Big 12 as wel

Teams that can help save the Big 12 Conference: A Sooners fan's take - College Football - Rivals.com
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CJ, I imagine you watched the BYU-Utah State game. I happened to see the last 2 minutes. What a great finish (despite the poor clock management at the end).
  11. Darth Tater

BYU 7-3 this year. That loss to Texas started them off on the wrong foot.

I see they are seriously considering joining the Big East instead now after only being "Independent" for one year.
    Did the independent move go bad? I never thought that would work out.

It will be a nice conference if BSU and the other 5 teams join. There would be that automatic BCS slot too.
  12. coynejeremy

It would be interesting for sure. It may be complicated to work out since BYU's TV deal with ESPN runs for several years and BYU will want to retain some control of broadcasting through their own network (BYUtv). The challenge that I think would always be there as an independent is finding quality opponents willing to play you late in the year besides teams like San Jose State, Idaho St, Idaho, New Mexico State (4 of our last 6 opponents including this weekend's game). That's neither entertaining nor fulfilling to watch as a fan. Boise State, Houston, Cincinnati, SMU? That sounds a lot better. With that said, I'd still be interested in seeing how the independence thing works out for BYU.
  13. Darth Tater

I generally pull for the little guy against the bigger schools (unless they play Michigan State) or if they are Boise State.

I will become a huge Brigham Young football fan on September 22nd because their 4th game of the season is against none other than Boise State on the Blue turf! Hopefully, Boise is all worn down after losing to Michigan State in their season opener. :pray:

Is BYU projected to have a good team next year?
  14. Darth Tater

That was one of the craziest endings to a game I've ever heard of. That sucked for BYU but they had their chances to win. :(
  15. coynejeremy

No doubt.
  16. Darth Tater

What Will tonight's outcome be , CJ. ?
  17. coynejeremy

Boise State 24
    BYU 26
  18. Nemo

Boise State 32 - BYU 27
  19. Darth Tater

BYU...beginning of 2nd quarter...

3rd down. Boise 2 yard line...and they throw a bloody interception! This is worse than rooting for Michigan State!

0-0, but if that doesn't get Boise going I don't know what will!

Come on Brigham Young!!
  20. coynejeremy

Boise State 7
    BYU 6

That must have been a terrible game to watch. BSU's 3rd-quarter touchdown came off one of 3 interceptions. But an exciting gamble at the end by BYU's Bronco Mendenhall to go for 2 points and the win instead of the field goal and the tie. Too bad it didn't work out.