Burress shot at nightclub

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

From a blog I read,
    I heard a good line about this a while ago. If Plaxico had knives instead of guns, this would be a non-issue.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

This guy is obviously foolish, but in America it's perfectly legal for people (even foolish ones) to own guns. I don't understand why the police took these from him.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

because he has broken the law and gave cause that he may be breaking other laws?

if you or I have a gun in our home and its legal, there is very little chance the police would even think about bothering us and even less a chance of having good enough cause to get a warrent.

back to the article from the blog, wasn't Taylor shot thru his bedroom door? having a gun in hand wouldn't have saved him if thats true.... though I didn't follow that story that closely as I spent a good chunk of year overseas.
  5. roscoe36

I don't really know the specifics about Taylor's death.

I just know that dangerous criminals have said that they are less likely to attack or rob someone if they think they are armed.

Many criminals are cowards, preying on the helpless.
  6. round

yep agreed... and if the "me me me" football player hadn't been shooting himself in the leg (god he's lucky he didn't kill somebody instead) his weapons in his home would still be there..

I just can't feel sorry for him, in the slightest.
  7. roscoe36

This smilie is so appropriate. :granade:
  8. roscoe36

I just don't understand why we don't apply the same standard to our cops?

If a cop accidentally shoots someone, why don't we take away their guns professionally and privately?

I'm no Burress fan, I always thought he was a goof. But not being able to protect yourself, after you make a mistake than only hurt you, it doesn't seem to make much sense.
  9. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The problem is that the guns in Buress' home were not registered. There is nothing wrong with gun ownership, but you have to follow the laws. Burress was carrying a concealed weapon without a permit andthe gun was not registered in the sate of New Jersey. He also had the gun in a Nightclub where it is against the law to have any sort of weapon.

After saying all of this I have to say it does seem like the cops are out to get him. Why search his home? Why search it when he was not present? It does look kind of suspect. The already have him on 3 charges and he is a star you would think they would give him a break.
    I guess not.
  10. Winless Wonders

That's why I was very surprised when David Stern banned NBA players from having weapons in their vehicles when they are on NBA property or carrying weapons while representing the NBA. I thought this over stepped his bounds.
  11. roscoe36

Well, that's actually 100% in his bounds. An employer should be able to dictate whether or not employees bring weapons to work, or on work premises.

I'm all for private property rights.

I never really thought about the registration aspect, I have to admit as a Canadian, we're not supposed to carry guns for self-defense. I don't own a weapon. It's something I am not a big fan of. I don't like people telling me I have no right to defend myself.

It's one of the best things Americans have going for them. Because when you can't defend yourself, you're setting yourself up to be a victim.
  12. Winless Wonders

Some players put their self in harms way more than others. However, you can't deny the fact of the robberies and home invasions that have been happening recently to NBA players. Antoine Walker, Nazr, Sheldon Williams I could go on. I think if the players are responsible and get the proper permits and attend safety classes using their weapon properly they should have the right to defend themselves. Out right banning players from having weapons is insane. it is like telling criminals come rob me please.

In the article link below some in the NBA want David Stern to be even more harder on weapon ownership.

David Stern's NBA holds fire on weapons warning despite Plaxico Burress mess
  13. round

They took the shoes and pants that he was wearing that night, i am betting that was the "reason" for the search warrent... the fool should have had them in there hands the next morning...

It said that his wife and his attorney's rep were present... if the attorney is there to cover your rights why the heck wouldn't you be around, its not like you had practice to attend. More important this long after getting in trouble for having an unlicensed gun, why do you still have more of these guns laying around?

He just seems to be the cause of all his own problems.

as for your last comment.. he's a star give him a break.... He's probably in the mindset that got him in the problem in the first place because he's never been held accountable. I am for equal rights for everyone.. be you rich/poor, black/white, or smart/stupid. He did the crime and now needs to pay for it, and lets hope that other young athlete's learn from it.
  14. detteam

detteam All-Star

The guy has a hole in his leg. Why would they need the pants as evidence? lol
  15. Winless Wonders

I was thinking more along the lines as they were fishing for more charges to press against him. Seems like they would have asked for the clothes or searched his house the day they asked for him to turn himself in. Why wait 3 weeks to search his home? I certainly feel the same way that if you do the crime you pay the time. It just seems to me they are piling on now, but it is his own fault. I wonder what his lawyer is doing. His lawyer should have prepared him and told him to get rid of anything that may further cause him problems with the legal system.
  16. roscoe36

Sounds like the cops might be Jets fans.

J - E - T - S

Jets, Jets, Jets!
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So what if the knife slid down the front of his pants ?
    Serious issues here.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He'd be good in the run & SHOOT offense.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Burress has a shot if he can get himself in to shape.

Given the fact that he's a MSU guy, he has a leg up on the competition.

I see no way that the Lions shouldn't bring him in for a look at least.

(note: read the BLUE code for my true answer to this.)