Bulls fans reject Ben

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Jul 7, 2006.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

This excerpt is from blogabull.com, one of the best NBA blogs. It probably reflects the view of many Bulls fans. Should the Bulls have tried to sign a scorer instead of dropping all the money on Ben? How long will the honeymoon last for Ben?

Wallace is not at all what the Bulls need right now. We need a top-flight scorer in the worst way ... at crunch time, we rely on Ben Gordon and Andres Nocioni to score. 'nuff said. We also need some sort of presence in the post. Wallace provides us with none of that.
    In fact, what big Ben gives the Bulls is more of what we already have. The Bulls were the best defensive team in the NBA last season, and picked up its top defender. At a certain point, there begins to be diminishing marginal returns to more defense.

In fact, the NBA is evolving away from players like Ben Wallace. A few years ago, the Pistons were the right model to use to build a team. Tough, bruising interior defense won championships. But the rules changes have made the game more scorer-friendly, more guard-friendly, and more slash-to-the-basket friendly. In the playoffs, big Ben was often on the sidelines and wasn't a dominating force. In fact his weak shooting made him a liability at times.

And, of course, we overpaid for him. He's not worth $15+ million a season. And he's already 31, so he'll be 35 in the last year of his deal. Not good. The bottom line is that in a vacuum, the Wallace deal is not the right move for the Bulls to make. He's not what we need, he's too expensive, and he's aging. The "smart" move would have been to sign Pryzbilla and wait for the right trade.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We will see what happens. It's going to suck for the Bulls though because unless Ben becomes a good free throw shooter he's going to be a big liability in the 4th quarter.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Flip goes to Hack-A-Ben?
    Sheed loves it?
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This is the consensus of what the sportscasters have been saying based on my streaming.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nice find Bills.
    I agree with all of that post, except the age bit. Modern warriors can play until they are 40. Easy.
    And to qoute Max or Merc, F' the league rules. What coaches and players want chose to do is a different deal.
  6. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

The problem is they needed a scorer AND size inside / a true center.

You aren't going to get both in the same package unless its Shaq or TD. The majority of chicago fans love this deal. It was the right move. Hell even Jay Mariotti said it was a good move.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think Eddy Curry filled that need and thats why the Bulls had HCA in the first round a couple years ago. The Bulls will be better, but 60 million is way too much money and it's going to cost the Bulls later on.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Some stuff I've read by Bulls posters says getting Ben "has crippled" an Eastern Conference foe. They, however, have also said that they overpaid to get Ben and he can't score.
  9. cwolfson

cwolfson First Round Draft Pick

I've heard of win-win deals. I've heard of zero sum game deals, with one winner and one loser. But this could be the first lose-lose deal I've come across.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was wondering the exact same thing - and was about to post it as soon as I saw himat's post. Good thing I kept reading first.
  11. max

max All-Star

Its hard to say whats going to happen. Going to make next season that much more interesting.

I think they expecting another Rodman type with some shot blocking. They already had a good glass cleaner in Chandler so they are expecting more. They are expecting a 3 time DPY to block shots and shut down opponents while grabbing 10-15 boards a game. Ben is going to have to dig down deep and have one of the best seasons of his career.

I can also see some friction with Bens offensive game, namely in wanting X-amt of attempts per game. This can grate on the coaches and spill over to the fans. Especially if he is not making free throws.
  12. max

max All-Star

I also cannot help wondering if Paxson is thinking of Ben as potential trade fodder. Not right off and not necessarily anything certain. This could be their ticket to land an all-star scorer. Lot of clubs that could use Ben more than the Bulls. Perhaps for T-Mac straight up giving then a Wallace/Ming frontcourt. Or maybe to land one of the pending FA rookies like Bosh or Howard on a sign/trade if they choose to opt out.
  13. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

i think Dumars should have read the writing on the wall and traded Ben for somebody fresh. oh well.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Skiles should be grinning from ear to ear.
  15. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

Trade your best player in the same year you are setting a franchise record for most wins and look like you have a cakewalk to the finals? Joe would've been crucified.
  16. jammertime

Agreed. Unfortunately, I don't think all the foresight in the world could have prevented this one.

It would have been hard for Nostradomus himself to have predicted such a complete and total collapse during a season in which the team set a franchise record for wins, flirted with the all time record, had 4 All Stars and appeared destined to coast to a 2nd Finals matchup with the Spurs.

I don't any of us could have imagined Ben NOT wanting to come back to this team just a few short months ago.

Its ironic that a team that has prided itself in being cool and calm under pressure. A team that thrives in the clutch and with their backs to the wall, would turn in one of the biggest chock jobs in NBA history. One of the fastest, longest falls to earth ever.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So Cleveland is going to pay LeBron $80M for 5 years = $16M/year.
    Chicago is going to pay Ben $60M for 4 years = $15M/year.

This confirms that Ben is getting OVERPAID.

To me, the Bulls are the only party here that loses out.
  18. jammertime

[SARCASM]
    Are you trying to tell me that you don't think Ben Wallace is 93.75% of the player that LeBron James is?
    [/SARCASM]
  19. max

max All-Star

Its kind of weird how it turns out with these NBA payscales. His next deal will be for a lot more.

He also walked away from quit an increase in advertisement money that he would have gotten if he had turned the Cavs down and signed with a large market team when his rookie contract was up.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Lebron is what 22 years old now? Ok, after this current contract expires he will be 27, then he can sign with that large market team, and make even more money!!!!!!!1:nod: