Home Brooklyn Nets Monday Mar 18 2013

Discussion in 'March 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

The only guys I would keep if we can help it:
    Knight
    Bynum
    Calderon
    Monroe
    Drummond
    JJ
    (CV) - fringe.

Contrary to most opinion, I like Bynum's overall ability to run the pick and roll, generate assists, and go into the zone late in games (unlike anyone else on our roster currently)
    As far as CV goes. I like a big man who can spread the floor, he's played relatively well (including rebounding) this season when not glued to the bench and expected to come in and light it up while getting 6 total minutes. He's on the fringe for me.

Sans fringe, that's 6 out of 15 roster slots. You can't tell me we can't look to revamp NINE other roster slots. I know people like Middleton & English, but I am no fan of potential. That's a solid core I'd like to focus the rebuilding effort on. Singler doesn't cut it for my money and honestly, I'd much rather have JJ in his starting spot considering JJ's level of play the previous couple of seasons.
    basketbills likes this.
  2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Middleton, Singler and English will fill up the 10-13 spots as any other scrub in the league and 14-15 doesn't really matter as long as they are paid league minimum. That leaves us 4 players short with 2-3 of them being starters. Too bad atleast one of them have to be a superstar to make this team a contender.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

That's the kind of move that our clueless coach would never consider, because he's afraid of winning.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Stick Frank in the office somewhere and finish paying his contract.
    But get a new coach by next season at the latest.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That seems a little harsh for judging a rookie. Did anyone have higher expectations for him than what he's delivered? He's a better 2 guard than Stuckey is a 3. He could actually improve next year.

JJ (is a worse player IMO) and makes 4-5 times what Singler does.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I see no "fringe benefits" to having Charlie Villanueva in Piston gear.

...Then again, without CV, we'd have nobody to mean-mug on a made bunny when the Pistons are down 20 with a minute left. I'd also miss not having a guy who holds up the "ok" sign with his three fingers extended after hitting a triple when his team is getting absolutely smoked in some late-game garbage time.

CV is a cancer patient cancerous to this team. We have too many young dudes who absolutely DO NO'T need to be around BoT's "happy-go-lucky-we-just-lost-another-game-oh-well" attitude. Every time I see a camera shot of the bench during a timeout and Charlie is clowning with young Andre instead of listening to what the hell the coaches are saying, I want to puke. If Andre had a good agent, he'd tell his client to stay the (expletive) away from the class clown and keep his head in his playbook.

With CV, you see a stretch-4 who can spread the floor.
    ...I see a cat that stretches out on his drop-top and is totally content to be an overpaid scrub on a last place team.
    [​IMG]
    Nemo and The Panda like this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At least he made the planking hall of fame. First ballot.
  8. Pwn Toney

Frankly, I don't see CV that way at all. Besides, much worse is Stuckey's approach of 'I scored 25 with 3 charges and 0.1 assist...we lost, but I did MY part...now let me find an opponent to hug.'

It's not CV's fault that Joe D decided to throw a Brinks truck at him. If someone asks me if I want over 8 Million Dollars a year to......."YES."

The problem is, Joe D overpaid and people expect CV to be Rasheed Wallace. That's not his fault. He was largely injured last season, worked his ass off in the off-season, and has played reasonably well given his limited minutes and Franks insistence on 'either you're playing all of the minutes or none of them.' For what he's actually capable of (not for what he's being paid), he's doing his job this season. You want to be annoyed at someone? Blame Joe for running our accomplished players out of town and raising the pay scale for avg to decent players.

Charlie Villanueva invites a Pistons beat writer to join his boxing workout; writer cannot keep up | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports

Besides, if you're not able to focus enough to pay attention to what you need to do on the floor. That's not CV's fault. That's YOUR fault. CV is not responsible for making sure other PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES do THEIR jobs. These are grown men, not 4 yr olds. They better NOT need someone to teach them how to do their jobs and/or not distract them. The first player I hear tell me he can't do his job because another guy is enjoying having the best job in the world, that's the first player I ship out of town.
  9. Pwn Toney

Maybe, but I don't want to aim low for our last spots...the goal is to have the best talent from top to bottom. Look at it like this...The Spurs' 10-13 are WAY better than our 10-13. We can't look at it like, 'someone has to be be 10-13 so they might as well be awful.'

As much talent as we can pack on this roster the better. It's not that the guys I named are going to be the top of the talent pyramid for us, they're just the guys I'd make sure we held on to as of right now.
  10. max

max All-Star

I would keep 2 guys. Drummon and Bynum. I love Bynums energy and work ethic. All the other guys I would be open to trading - even Monroe if the deal was right.
  11. Pwn Toney

I disagree. Singler might be a better scorer, but he's not a better player, IMO. JJ will get lots of hustle play...loose balls, rebounds, along with some double digit scoring from time to time. That's much more valuable to me.

...and rookie or no rookie. Singler has way too many 3 for 9 games for my liking and his defense is, well....he doesn't have any. The next time I DON'T see Singler running late behind a screen to challenge a wide open shooter will be the 1st time. He has no physical strength and is constantly fouling shooters. Outside of being tall (and I know that's enough for some people), he brings nothing to the game that we can't live without. I'm sure we all appreciate his one running jumper every 3rd qtr, but it's not enough to win me over.

Maybe you think it's harsh for a rookie, but I don't have to try to find the positives in Drummond's game. He's got less experience than Singler, but he shows you what he's capable of when he's on the floor. I don't have to justify his existence. Outside of Jermaine O'neal and Chauncey Billups, by the time you're in the NBA, you don't need 5 years to show what you can do. Even undrafted Ben Wallace was showing early on that he could be a monster on the boards. I'm tired of having guys on this roster that we have to make excuses for and wait half their careers to 'see what they can do.'
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe D has to be on a short leash, at this point. He absolutely NEEDS to make good choices this summer. The first two choices are the draft picks, one of which has to be an immediate impact player. The 2nd round pick will be in the top 35, so you can definitely get talent there. With all of the cap space available, Joe D needs to sign two impact free agents to wise contracts.

Other moves Joe D could make:

1. re-sign Calderon
    2. let Maxiel walk
    3. amnesty Charlie
    4. trade Stuckey
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So Charlie V is in better shape than a beat reporter? Great to hear.
    Nemo and linwood like this.
  14. Pwn Toney

I would say I'm surprised by this, but.... :noidea:
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Vince Goodwill looked pretty sad in that video.
  16. BallDon'tLie

I think that you and I will both agree that using Rodney Stuckey as the barometer on "how to act professionally" is a bad idea. :cheers:

Totally agree. I don't balme CV for taking the money. I blame him for not earning that money. Joe should be ridiculed for the rest of his career for the tragic "gordonueva incident" of 2008. Years from now, basketball GMs should use this as a case study on how not to conduct yourself in NBA free agency. The term "gordonueva" should become a noun. The word should become synonomous with 'the act of making a colossal mistake with your team's free agent signings'.

So yeah, I blame Joe.
    ...But when I read a quote from Turd regarding picking up his player option that says: “It’s obvious what I’m going to do, Would you let that money go?” I want to lock him in a Sauna and throw away the key.
    As a fan, I don't want to be reminded about how overpaid he is. He should have went with some BS comment like: "I really appreciate the support I've had in Detroit and I want to do everything I can in my final year to do right by the fans. We gotta turn this thing around!"
    Not only does Charlie suck. His PR people suck too!

Charlie Villaueva is a clown. He's a "C" student. He's the guy who sits in the back of the class and cracks jokes while you're trying to listen and learn. Charlie Villanueva has no "game face". He's one of the least intense professional athletes that I've ever seen.

If CV got into the 'WayBack Machine' machine and traveled back to the 1990 Pistons, he'd get his ass kicked 5 minutes into his first practice. Can you imagine CV clowning around in practice when Zeke or Laimbeer are trying to perfect one of Chuck-D's new plays? Even John Salley looked more "professional" than Charlie. (...John freaking Salley!)

CV is from UConn.
    19-year-old Andre Drummond is from UConn.
    It's natural that Charlie would take young 'Dre under his wing. ...show him the ropes. ...show him how to carry himself. ...show him how to be a pro. - THIS SCARES THE (expletive) OUT OF ME!!!
    Nemo, Walter and linwood like this.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Come on man, you can't really believe this! Do you really think that Charlie has played up to his full potential? Do you really think that he was out for a season because of double ankle injuries he sustained while sleeping? Do you think that Larry is the first coach not to play the guy? No one expects Charlie to be Rasheed Wallace, but I do expect him to hold himself accountable for his performance, and I expect him to take his job seriously. I don't care at all about his boxing workouts, his time in the sauna, or any of that crap. I do care that after 8 years in the NBA, he still grabs dudes from behind and gives them the and1 nearly every time he plays. That's nonsense. I also care that a 6'11" power forward has never, ever averaged 1 block a game.

As much as I would like to think that 19 year old millionaire athletes are all focused, driven professionals, I know that's not true. 19 year old kids like Andre Drummond or that kid that works at the coffee shop on the corner are still figuring life out, and look to others for guidance. Charlie has made himself Drummond's mentor (check his twitter feed, he talks about it), and I'm not comfortable with that.
    Mogilny, Walter and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons are in line with the 4th pick today. That's Chris Paul and D. Wade territory. Drummond, Monroe and the 4th pick...Wow. That would be a core. I don't think Joe would blow the pick. Just hope the organization understands the importance of this situation to the team's future.

Then, we can then start moving most of the current roster out, one by one.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Let's asusme that we pick in the top 10 again this year, and that dude ends up starting along with Drummond, Moose and Knight next year. Was there every a team that started 4 guys who were top 10 picks in 4 consecutive drafts I wonder?
  20. BallDon'tLie

I'm waaayyyy to lazy to look it up but I'm gonna guess that the Clippers did it for about 10 straight years.