Away Brooklyn Nets Friday Dec 14 2012

Discussion in 'December 2012' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

Our clueless coach and roster full of terrible, inadequate players took Coach of the Year Avery Johnson and his team of allstars to two overtimes, and only lost in the final seconds when their six time Allstar Joe Johnson made an incredibly difficult shot to win the game.
  2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

yes, but if our clueless coach had played dre who can actually rebound, theres a greater possibility we would have won that game.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Maybe. That's speculation. The above actually happened.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

In coaches post game quotes he stated they needed 1 rebound to seal victory, or 1 made shot. you are giving our coach wayyyy too much credit for some of these losses, I tend to believe the pistons almost won inspite of our coach.
  5. linwood

linwood All-Star

I blame Monroe's missed free throws.
    I think we should trade him immediately for whatever we can get. You just can't win with a guy who chokes under pressure like that. I don't care that they were in their second overtime and that everyone seemed to be playing hard despite how tired they were. No more excuses!

I also blame Joe Johnson for the loss. I think the Pistons should refuse to play against teams that have Joe Johnson.

Seriously though...
    I was very surprised when they hired Little Larry. I think he is probably a decent coach, but not an elite coaching talent. But if winning was a simple as firing the clueless coach, the Pistons would have 4 or five more banners hanging from the rafters at the Palace. I think Larry Brown was the only coach in the last 15 years that wasn't "Completely Clueless" according to fans. And I'm pretty sure there were lots of fans that wanted to fire him, too.
    The Panda likes this.
  6. max

max All-Star

Its not like its just one down year - this has been going on way too long. Have to stretch back to the 70's to find a losing string of seasons that went on for this long. Even during the teal years it was really just 2 seasons where we were really bad and after that they at least were competitive and usually made the playoffs.

So its not so much this season - its yet another year AGAIN without hope for the playoffs and its really starting to get pretty old. Had a great opportunity to re-tool after the sale and what did we get - Stuckey, Prince and Frank? ( are you kidding me!! ) . Sorry to rant.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think the Pistons might be competitive next year. Hopefully Drummond, Monroe and Knight improve and mature and we pick up good free agents when Prince, Maxiel, and Villenueva come off the books. Is that next year? I sure hope it's next year.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Max and Maggette come off next year iirc.

[​IMG]
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Oh, for crying out loud. I can't believe we have to pay Charlie $17,000,000 for this year and next. Glad it's not my money.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How wrong can the fans have been if joe fires the coaches repeatedly? Also, with the exception of carlisle, our fired coaches aren't really getting fought over by the rest of the league.

We seem pretty smart in hindsight to me.

I honestly believe that we could steer the team more deftly with polls on this website. Just eliminate the gm and run the team through polling and espn trade machine.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are a good person.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If we combine our polls with polls from other forums with simple statistical tools in a black box model we could nail decisions at a clip around 50 out of 50. That's wisdom of the crowds on steroids - wisdom of the polls. Another interesting idea would be to use prediction markets.

We should settle this with a TFD poll.
  13. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good game from the blokes here - stayed with Brooklyn well after digging out a 2nd quarter hole and put themselves in a position to win it a few times, just couldn't get over the last hump. We're a losing team at the moment and will lose these more than we will win, but that will turn around.

Being robbed 2 points despite it being called correctly by the refs initially wasn't helpful. But then neither was Monroe bricking those two free throws. Not sure if it is, but I think that was the first game-on-the-line pressure FTs he's had to take and just hope that doesn't affect his psyche going forward.

All in all, it's games like this that give us hope when we take it up against one of the leagues better teams.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If we made all of our decisions based on TFD polls, all of our decisions would be "bup bup".
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd rather that jd would have bup bupped rather than sign gordon and charlie.
  16. max

max All-Star

Better be soon before we have to give up that 1st round pick from the Gordon trade.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm not really trying to defend all the clueless coaches that the Pistons have had over the years, but if you fired every coach that the fans complained about, the average coaching tenure in the entire NBA would be about 5 weeks. I think that Curry and Kuester were probably pretty average coaches... maybe a little clueless. I think Flip was probably a good coach with the wrong team for his style. When Larry was here, people complained constantly about his "stubborn and clueless agenda"...his reliance on Lindsay Hunter and vets in general, has small ball lineups, the way he insisted on getting Ben Wallace a shot or two to open the game... the complaints about Larry went on and on. I didn't belong to any internet forums back in the late '80's and early '90's, but I'm willing to bet that fans complained constantly about Daly,

Not including Daly or Frank, the average tenure of a Detroit Pistons coach going back to 1948 is two years. This goes much farther back than Joe Dumars.

List of Detroit Pistons head coaches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also keep in mind that it is the players complaining about the coaches- some in real time and some in hindsight.

LB fired himself without question. He talked about not being excited about the job and then went off and started interviewing with other teams.
    Here is chatter on a Spurs message board while he was still with us just to put you back in that timeframe-
    larry brown quitting on pistons already?

This was even before the medical issues that seemed convenient. I think that most of the key players liked/ respected LB, but he bailed on us. He's a chronic bailer and settlement artist, which Joe knew when he signed him for... 5 years?!

Ben Wallace's main beef with Flip was that he relied on the started too much and didn't trust the bench... which arguably led to several straight flame outs in the ECF as the veteran team ran out of gas. He also had grumblings that mirrored the fans' about valuing offense over defense. It got so bad that one of the most stubborn and loyal guys in the NBA took the money and went to an in-division rival. That was a serious philosophical difference of opinion.

With another coach, you had a full blown mutiny. Of course the players are to blame, but they haven't mutinied with any other coach. And Kuester wasn't half the captain that Bligh was.

With Curry, you truly had a deer in the headlights issue. Joe seemed to think that since Curry shared many of the same bball philosophies with him that he could do the job. He underestimated that being a head coach involves a lot of finesse and a program (sort of like being a good teacher vs someone who knows a subject).

Just rambling. At least now we finally have ourselves the perfect coach (despite his career sub .500 record). LFrank knows how to bring guys along slowly to protect their confidence better than any coach outside of LBrown.
    brofmfa and coynejeremy like this.
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

For the record, I eventually hated Flip Saunders, and was never sold on Curry, Kuester, Irvine, or Gentry. I wasn't very excited at all about the Frank hiring. I did like Carlisle, Collins, and LB. Anyone before Daly was ahead of my time.

I think there are a handful of successful coaches in the NBA. Every year, there are 29 NBA head coaches that fail to get their teams a Championship. Every year, there are 14 head coaches that fail to make the playoffs. Every year there are 16 coaches that make the playoffs, and 8 that fail to advance past the first round. My guess is that, to a certain segment of the NBA fan base, these coaches are all clueless failures.

I agree with you that none of Detroit's fired coaches have gone on to great success. Flip Saunders isn't even coaching right now, despite the fact that the Saunders Pistons won games at a 71% rate during the season, greatest in Pistons history.

I'm not sure, other than maybe Arron Afflalo, which secret gem stashed away on the bench and ignored by the parade of incompetent coaches has gone on to great success. Rodney White didn't make me forget about Michael Jordan, Amir Johnson didn't redefine defense, Pepe Sanchez, Glinniadakas, Darko, and plenty more have washed out of the NBA. (except for Darko, who somehow seems to get a new contract every few years)

Not sure where I'm going with this anymore, other than the fact that I think it's pretty exciting to watch a young team rebuild, especially one with some pretty promising talent... Even if they do have a clueless coach.
    brofmfa and coynejeremy like this.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It would be cool to be able to travel to a parallel universe where Bill Laimbeer is the coach of the Pistons so we could compare and contrast how his team plays compared to the Frankster's.

I bet Villanueva sees a lot less playing time on Bill's team.