Away Brooklyn Nets Friday, April 04, 2014

Discussion in 'April 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tetolitovotoc was on fire.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

According to some, Singler plays because it helps our perimeter D. You see it?

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I wanted to follow up on the earlier PER post. As I have been saying, JJ playing at power forward is nuts. Playing him at small forward is a great thing, but our GM has Singler firmly planted there to ensure we lose games.

Again, Singler, though not that bad, is negative on the PER matchup at small forward. But JJ, he is well plus, crazily so, at 17.3 / 9. In other words, he outproduces his counterpart nearly 2 to 1, at small forward. You would think he would get a regular gig there, right. Remember again, we all started liking JJ when? When Tay got injured and JJ stepped in as the starting small forward for us most of a season. At small forward.

In contrast, the tanking theory is fully supported by this stat: JJ loses the battle of PER at power forward, by nearly a 2 to 1 ratio. (11.1 / 19.2.) And he plays there, at power forward where he is badly mismatched, twice as much (almost exactly) than he plays at small forward where he dominates the PER battle.

People say I should give alternatives. Simple. Replace every minute Singler gets at small forward with JJ, who gives us extra rebounding at that position. (and actually uses his size advantage to bull to the basket and score.)

And shooting guard: Go back to Pope. Sure, Pope also loses the PER battle, but he only gives up a 13.9 PER to the opposing shooting guard. Indeed, his defense has several times been an important part of a win this season. He can at times just shutdown completely a hotshot shooting guard on the other team. (While the idea of Singler even guarding any NBA player is laughable.)

Also of note, while Stuckey does play even PER at shooting guard, he should only be playing point for us, where he absolutely wins the PER battle, 25 /15. (He is even at 13.7 / 13.7 at shooting guard.)

Oh, and Pope loses the PER battle 2 to 1 at small forward. Absolutely atrocious to put him there. But since we are doing everything possible to tank these days, in the vain hope we get a draft pick from it, Pope playing at small forward fits right in. (Just how bad will Dumars look after ordering his team to tank when the 10th spot wins the lotto and moves ahead of us, moving us to 9th, unprotected.)

4. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Do you expect him to guard the entire perimeter by himself? I don't know, that's asking an awful lot.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Now that you mention it, I have also noticed that. Good catch.

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It's a shame our lottery pick from last year has played so poorly. We probably wouldn't be spending much time talking about a second round pick if he would have played better.

LA Dre likes this.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If he wasn't lambasted in every leecap (except game 3 when his cable went out), I'm not sure his name would have come up at all this year.

LA Dre and basketbills like this.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

posing after a Piston loss? Priceless....NOT!

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I SAW Deron Williams hit a 22 foot 3 pointer over Jennings all the while , Singler was guarding his man on the other side of the court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I aint got time fo dat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roscoe36 likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You said: "Coach decided to ensure we lost this won, playing Singler the whole 4th."

The Pistons actually outscored the Nets by 10 points this quarter. You think Detroit could have outscored them by 23 if Singler didn't play? That's what they needed to win. Someone wasn't watching the game...

basketbills likes this.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. Singler doesn't have the lateral quickness to guard the entire perimeter.

basketbills likes this.