Brandon Knight rewarded for great season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 22, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

alexa032 and linwood like this.
  2. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Me too
  3. BillLaimbeer

First year stat line:

66 games played (60 started)
    32.3 mpg
    12.8 ppg
    41.5% FG, 38.0% 3FG, 75.9% FT
    3.2 reb
    3.8 ast
    2.6 to
    0.7 stl

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The 3-point shooting for a point guard is the most impressive part to me. Not easy to jump to the NBA and shoot close to 40% with a longer 3-point line, against much better defenders, and while learning a new way of playing offense.

In trying to be completely honest (and not a homer), I think that his overall play was well below average for an NBA point guard after taking into account all factors. However, it was well above average for a rookie 20 year old point guard. If he develops properly, then he should be peaking right when the team is on the upswing (3-4 years from now).
  5. BillLaimbeer

So, you are saying it will only take another 3-4 years before the Pistons are on the upswing? That is a depressing thought. :)
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Two year we will be in the playoffs. Maybe next year. Book it.
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

3-4 years if things go right that we'll need an elite point guard to be serious about contending for a title... if all things go right going forward, I agree with the boss man though about the playoffs, will be suprised if we don't make them next year to be honest.

20 years old.... and no summer instruction/training camp.... I am very impressed with him so far. I think we now have 2 starters for which we can compete for a title in coming years, we have to get one more this draft... and Joe needs to work some magic for another starter....

We really have turned the corner, it just looks bad still.... because were in the middle of it.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Two years ...maybe. (a lot will have to happen)
    Next year ...absolutely no way.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The bad - The numbers I'm most interested in generally for a pg are the numbers he suck at - AST/TOV-ratio, eFG% and steals.

The good - I'm impressed by his work ethic and mentality. His hard work is going to improve those stats and rub off on his teammates. I don't think his ceiling is very high (I doubt he's ever going to come close to a top 5 pg) but his work ethic probably makes his floor pretty high. He'll take a pretty big step forward during next season with a full preseason and he'll keep improving a little every year. If things work out well, he might become the 10th-15th best pg in the league in a couple of years.
  10. BallDon'tLie

Since I get ripped on for being a downer all of the time, I gotta take any chance to be positive when I can.

I think Brevin can be much better than a mid-pack (10 - 15) PG in the association. He's got a lot of things going for him: a good head on his shoulders, a heckuva work ethic, heart, a sweet jumper, decent size and Arnie Kander. I see him falling just short of being an elite PG when it's all said and done. I think that he'll be just behind the "elite" guys once everything plays out in a few years (kinda like Chauncey). I'd feel even better about his stock if Larry Brown was the one coaching him up.
  11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Those are the attributes that's going to make him a 10-15 PG imo and 10th is pretty close to an elite PG. There are alot of great young PG:s in this league right now and there are 30 starters. Just becoming a starter on any team is pretty good and becoming better than 14-19 other starters is quite an accomplishment. For me to predict a higher ceiling than that I would have to had seen something like Irvings rookie season or some sick attributes like the ones of John Wall.
  12. round

You expect either us to be alot worse next year then we were after our terrible start, we played almost .500 ball after that... or you expect for the first time in ages for it to take 50 plus wins to make the playoffs?

I didn't say we'd be winning in the playoffs, but to get am 8th seed isn't that big a stretch really.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with that. You could call us a .500 team and that will make the playoffs. You get Brevin with another year under his belt and he might improve quite a bit....so we could be over .500.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's what Roscoe is talking about.
  15. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This is where I see him getting to.

On the other point, I think we will make the playoffs next season, but will have little impact. Even with minimal impact, I think this is a positive though as it shows potential free agents in the following season that this once strong franchise is on the way back.
    round likes this.
  16. BallDon'tLie

There are 15 teams in the EC.
    8 Make the playoffs.
    Please name the 7 teams that will be below the Pistons in the standings next year when were the 8th seed.
  17. BillLaimbeer

That's a good question. Some of the teams that have been perennial doormats like the Pacers and the Sixers have looked very impressive in the postseason.
  18. max

max All-Star

Hard to predict which teams will get worse but we know some will. Maybe Philly and Orlando.

More teams make the playoffs then don't. Problem is the 8th Seed was 35-31 so just hitting .500 may not make it anymore. They should be right around .500 next year so who knows if that will be good enough.
  19. round

Add Boston to that list of teams that could fall off the cliff, they have multiple contracts up....

1. Miami 2. Chicago 3. the rest of the bunch
  20. BallDon'tLie

I just don't see a way for the Pistons to make the playoffs next year unless the lotto gods smile upon us.

It's hard to predict 2013 due to the fact that we don't know how the lottery is going to play out and we don't know what teams are going to do from a FA standpoint to improve their rosters. We can only look at lottery odds, cap flexability and "intangibles" (i.e. ownership, external forces, market appeal, etc.) to predict how next year might play out.

The way I see the outside looking in teams in the EC in 2013:
    9. Knicks
    10. Wizzards
    11. Pistons
    12. Magic
    13. Celtics
    14. Raptors
    15. Bobcats

...I see Cleveland & Milwaukee as locks for the playoffs next year.
    ...Maybe the Knicks or Wizz snake Brooklyn for the 8th spot.

The Pistons will have yet another mediocre lottery pick.