Brandon Knight bust potential..?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Nov 7, 2012.

1. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Agree with this and that he will work hard at it.

Last season he wasn't instructed to be the facilitator so much and was allowed to get his feet and just focus on getting his own. While he still does some dribble hand offs to Stuckey/Prince, this is the first season he has taken it on and I think he will figure it out more and more. Those turnovers will come down and the assists will go up - especially once Drummond is inserted into the line up. Giving him a wing player that doesn't pump fake on open shots will help that stat too.

I'm still on the bandwagon.

We all want a more star studded team like '89/'90 or a CP3 to pair with Drummond, but with Monroe not likely to become the next Duncan and Drummond at worst becoming a defensive anchor, I see it more as we are working our way back to the unique (and the one that got me into NBA) 2004 style TEAM. One that is different though as it has it's core pieces together from a young age. And I think Knight, with his work ethic, his smarts and his competitiveness will become a solid PG of this TEAM.

Whether this TEAM can be as good as the '04 one depends on the continued growth of Knight, Monroe and Drummond and the trade-pieces or bit players from the draft that surround them
    Cardono, roscoe36 and Walter like this.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

So, are you saying that our top shooting guard not only can't shoot, but can't defend either?

I am getting tired of Rodney Stuckey.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He doesn't have the length like Singler. He doesn't have the foot speed like Knight. He's nowhere as quick as Bynum.

Stuckey's strength is almost purely his physical strength. Not sure how you apply that on defense when you are in between sizes. Seems like it would help on post up defense, but the numbers don't show that either.

I don't know. Synergy shows Austin Daye as a master defensive genius at 0.74 ppp (16 for 57 shooting- 28%). I believe that is the best on the team.

I guess I'll amend my prior post and say that I want to see:

Knight
    Daye
    Tay
    Moose
    Drummer

for maximum defensive effectiveness.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'd trade Moose for Max. BTW, that is a Lee lineup if ever I've seen one!
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee would have Middleton and Kravtsov starting.
    kpaav and Nemo like this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...with Macklin as the 1st big off the bench.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That lineup has 3 current starters + Drummond (borderline all-star) + the best defensive player (according to Synergy's possession by possession analysis).
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

with Darko coaching
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm jogging away from the bandwagon after that 1 point showcasing in London by our starting PG.

It's strange how Bynum often looks like the best player on the floor (and bench) for us. That's a really bad sign.
    KGREG, Nemo and copper like this.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Except of course when he looks like the worst player on the floor. He amazes me when he has a couple of great possessions in a row and then comes down and does the most bone-headed thing imaginable. I guess there is a reason though he's a backup on a bad team.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our starting PG and PF had a combined 3 points in 38 minutes in an international showcase. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Knight was matched up against a 40 year old for crying out loud. Maxiell was guarded by Chris Copeland.

Just an observation: The Knicks have a very good bench right now with JR Smith, Amare, and Novak. I would say that all 3 of those guys could start on our team individually. All of them at once though creates defensive issues.
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

British Blowhard Breathlessly Bashes Hooper the Horse.

Mr. Cheevers, is that you?
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Nothing fires up the crowd like the ol' oversize drum bit.
    linwood likes this.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Donkey! :pound:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

And Lindsey Hunter the GM as well.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

3.2 PPG. If Brandon can avg 16.5 PPG he may work out. Looking at his stats he simply needs to become more efficient. Right now he gets a little too happy ith the 3-Ball, taking 4.4 - 3's/game; he needs to get that down to under 4 or get his percentage above 39%. The other big problem is poor FT shooting for a guard, >75%....not good at all. Now the question remains are these numbers (FG and FT %'s) bad because he just isn't very good or because he's only 21 years old in his 2nd year. I was not impressed with the kid at Kentucky, he only shot 42% from the floor and averaged 4.7 asts against 3.5 TO's. Compare that to Trey Burke who shot 46% and avg'd 6.6 asts against only 2.1 TO's this season. To be fair, I think Brandon would have had similar success had he stayed for his sophomore season also but he didn't stay, entered the NBA pre-maturely.

So can Brandon do the following:
    Become more efficient offensively and get his FG, 3FG and FT %'s up?
    Can he tighten up his handle and cut down on the unnecessary TO's?

I have no faith in his ability to master the PG position, he just doesn't have the feel, instinct or vision.......I personally believe PG's are born; but with the right supporting cast I think he can become very serviceable.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't use traditional measures to evaluate Knight. I don't care how many turnovers he has, I care how fast he gets the ball upcourt.

He doesn't need to be Bob Cousy. The Pistons got 2 bigs plus Knight. Put 2 3 pt shooters out there with him and play fast. If that means he tales 20 shots per game so be it.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

I like that he didn't rock the boat this season when Jose Calderon joined the team and took his spot. He just slid over to the 2 and kept playing. Professionalism is a commodity in short supply on this team over the last 1/2 decade. And, I'm willing to bet that a 21-year old that acts professionally will improve over time.

Now will he improve to become a SG instead of a PG? That can be debated. But, there is room on this team for professionals.
    Nemo, Susie914, The Panda and 4 others like this.